British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   How the Hell do i start?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/how-hell-do-i-start-756577/)

englishnurse Apr 29th 2012 7:00 pm

How the Hell do i start??

Hi there

I am a british nurse, recently also qualified as a midwife, had a terrible experience trying to immigrate to the USA about 6 years ago (retrogression=no visas) anyhow.... if we wanted to come to NZ to work and live... where is a good place to start????

I will be looking on the forum in the meantime for info (im not lazy LOL)

thanking you in advance

Claire and Mark

crumpy10 Apr 29th 2012 7:05 pm

Re: How the Hell do i start??

Hello and welcome!

Have you looked at the immigration website yet?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

It is a good place to start! also

http://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/

Good luck! its a long and bumpy road, we are almost at the end of ours:fingerscrossed:

There will be loads of people here to help you out...

Anna;)

englishnurse Apr 29th 2012 7:19 pm

hey crumpy! thanks for the welcome..

been having a good look around.. its all a bit mind boggling isnt it!!!

do i need a job offer to migrate or can i go based on my qualifications???

crumpy10 Apr 29th 2012 7:42 pm

We were going in on OH qualifications, then at the eleventh hour a job offer came through.... as an electrician.

So although its easier with a job offer, it is not compulsory, I think a lot depends on what your qualification is.... you need to have a look at the qualifications list in the operations manual, on the immi site.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i35171.htm

As I said, someone who knows way more than little old me, will be along shortly, (when they have woken up and had a coffee and a fag!)

Anna:rofl:

ragdolls2 Apr 29th 2012 7:51 pm

Hi there to work as a Nurse in NZ you need to take the IELTS english exam to register with the nursing council. there is usually a long wait list to take this unless you can travel to London. Have a look on the Nz nursing council website for more info about registering. You will also need transcripts of your training. we came out here 2years ago on my nursing qualifications. Good luck

dawnefoster Apr 29th 2012 8:25 pm

Hi, Im currently in the process of Emigrating to NZ from the UK and I'm also in the nursing profession. You need to take the IELTS test (google it for nearest test centre to yourself and dates) this costs 125.00 and you need 7 in each category of the academic test, you wont be able to join the NZ NMC without this. Once you have this it will last 2yrs. Then either from UK join the NZ NMC and head off to NZ on holiday and find a job ... that way you will then be able to go through the immigration over there where its easier than over here (as it always is but your on holiday so dont let immigration no) or if you have responsibilities then go through NZ immigration over here this costs 2500.00 but they do it all for you, and they will inform you what youll need to do here, they also put you through to potential employers. Hope this helps and gets you going, its a long process but it'll be worth it ... good luck Dawn

lisamct Apr 29th 2012 9:43 pm

Are you planning to come over and work as a nurse or a midwife? You'll need to register with the appropriate council regardless of which you choose however if your looking at midwifery you don't need to take IELTS.

NZ Immigration wont help you find employers as previously suggested but its pretty easy to just find DHB's in the area you want to live in and apply directly for jobs through their web site. Most if not all DHB's will want to know you at least have a plan regarding obtaining your visa when you apply and most adverts will state that you must be eligible to work (e.g. have a visa) before you apply. This can be worked around though, I didn't have a visa when I got my job but they were aware that I was applying for a work visa to begin with and this required a job offer first. They gave me an extended start date (almost 4 months after I got the job) and this gave me plenty of time to get my visa in place, pack up my house and move over here to start.

BEVS Apr 29th 2012 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by dawnefoster (Post 10031855)
Then either from UK join the NZ NMC and head off to NZ on holiday and find a job ... that way you will then be able to go through the immigration over there where its easier than over here (as it always is but your on holiday so dont let immigration no) or if you have responsibilities then go through NZ immigration over here this costs 2500.00 but they do it all for you, and they will inform you what youll need to do here, they also put you through to potential employers. Dawn

:unsure:

I can see you may be trying to be helpful but could you please think a bit more about what you are typing to others. As per a previous post of yours , what you have written is a bit off kilter & in places just not so.
Thanks

BEVS Apr 29th 2012 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by englishnurse (Post 10031782)
Hi there
I am a british nurse, recently also qualified as a midwife, had a terrible experience trying to immigrate to the USA about 6 years ago (retrogression=no visas) anyhow.... if we wanted to come to NZ to work and live... where is a good place to start????
I will be looking on the forum in the meantime for info (im not lazy LOL)
thanking you in advance
Claire and Mark

Hi and welcome to this NZ forum.
Are you thinking to emigrate permanently or to maybe try the place out for a few years ?
If you wish to come live and work for a while in New Zealand then you will need a job offer first and then apply for a temporary work visa. Should you wish to then remain in NZ as a resident you would then apply for Residency under what is called the Skilled Migrant Route. As nurses are in long term shortage here ( at the moment) you would be the main applicant .
Many nurses have gained job offers without ever setting foot on NZ soil & whilst still in the UK. They have done that by contacting district health boards direct and medical staff agencies.
In order for you to practice as a nurse here you will need registration with the Nursing Council of New Zealand. This involves an IELTS test for your English Language standard as well as the usual checking of your qualifications to do this occupation.

You may want to try the NZIS Points Indicator re. the skilled migrant category for those wishing to emigrate to NZ.

Also please check out NZ Nursing Council

District Health Boards

Nurses have used Tonix

Midwifery Council NZ

I will also add that as a nurse and midwife you most certainly shouldn't need to spend any money to find a job or sort your NZ paperwork. Many nurses have gone through the process perfectly fine under their own steam.

englishnurse Apr 30th 2012 11:52 am

thanks for all your help and advice guys, i think sorting out my qualifications is an ideal way to start and work onwards from there

my partner (not married) is a mechanic im unsure of his ability to travel with me as we are not married, does anyone know if he can come with me?

Persephone Apr 30th 2012 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by englishnurse (Post 10032865)
thanks for all your help and advice guys, i think sorting out my qualifications is an ideal way to start and work onwards from there

my partner (not married) is a mechanic im unsure of his ability to travel with me as we are not married, does anyone know if he can come with me?

For residency as a skilled migrant: you would be the main candidate as nurses are on the long term skills shortage list. This will gain you extra points on your EOI [expression of interest] . If you have enough points you can be selected and get residency without a job offer depending on what is being selected at the time. So first things first- work out your points total!
Your partner would be the non principal candidate and would be added to your EOI as long as you can prove you are in a stable and committed relationship and have lived together as a couple for 12months or more. Marriage alone is not considered proof of relationship, you need those 12m together whether married or not. A marriage certificate is little more than an extra piece of proof that you are in a relationship.

If you apply for a temporary work visa [this is job first] then he can gain a work visa off the back of your application: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

Agree with Bevs, do this yourself, most of us do and as long as you're organised then it's not that difficult. Agents are unbelievably expensive.

First thing is to decide what you want- a permanent stay and residency or temporary ie a few years working abroad. As a nurse you have a lot of options in terms of moving to NZ

BEVS Apr 30th 2012 10:18 pm

As Persephone has said, your partner can come with you on the back of your application provided you have both been living together and can prove you are in a long term, committed relationship. A marriage cert. isn't necessary for this purpose. Joint bills, mortgage, photos, bank statements etc. All go to show a shared life.

clairesw May 5th 2012 4:52 pm

Hello,
I'm also a British nurse, just beginning the process of applying for a Skilled Migrant Visa. As others have stated, I found out that the first thing to do was get my registration with the Nursing Council sorted - that gives extra points on the visa application. The longest wait seems to be for the IELTS exam - I'm sitting mine next Saturday - arrrgghhh!

I have no intention of using an agent - just can't afford it, but I am lucky enough to have a job offer already. So, it's just a matter of working through all the visa requirements and making lots of lists! Oh, and selling everything we own on Ebay to fund it all!

Good luck!

RobDon May 5th 2012 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by clairesw (Post 10043273)
Hello,
I'm also a British nurse, just beginning the process of applying for a Skilled Migrant Visa. As others have stated, I found out that the first thing to do was get my registration with the Nursing Council sorted - that gives extra points on the visa application. The longest wait seems to be for the IELTS exam - I'm sitting mine next Saturday - arrrgghhh!

I have no intention of using an agent - just can't afford it, but I am lucky enough to have a job offer already. So, it's just a matter of working through all the visa requirements and making lots of lists! Oh, and selling everything we own on Ebay to fund it all!

Good luck!

Sorry, I am a British nurse and as far as I know, your professional registration does not give you any extra points on your application. ;)

clairesw May 5th 2012 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 10043500)
Sorry, I am a British nurse and as far as I know, your professional registration does not give you any extra points on your application. ;)

According to the skills shortage list, unless I've got it wrong, it seems to say that to meet the requirements under long term skills shortage and claim bonus points for absolute skills shortages, you need NZ registration & 3 years experience. I found it here:http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...9D5/0/1093.pdf :fingerscrossed: