How to find a Job without a Visa?

Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to find a Job without a Visa?

Hi there,

Someone told me I shouldn't try to apply for Jobs abroad online but should visit the country in person. Yet I know it's illegal to seek work on a Visitor's Visa. So if I go over to New Zealand how can I find work? I know the obvious answer is 'network/make friends/ask around'. But isn't this very risky? I could get in trouble for Job seeking or I could end up with no job and waste money that could be saved for re-location. Also, how realistic is it really? I mean, if employers have to prove they couldn't find a citizen to fill the role and if its illegal to hire or interview or even take a CV/Resume from someone who is on a Visitor's Visa then how are you supposed to actually find work?

How. Please advise me. I know some people have managed it. i just don't know how.

Is it possible to go over there on a Visitor's Visa and try to do things from the inside out? Is it more likely to end up successful than if I do it the 'right way round' and try to find a job from abroad...

Thanks.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

northeastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find a Job without a Visa?

This is a similar predicament to my own. We're looking to go back to NZ having been out there on our working holiday visa and one of the issues we came against with potential employers was them saying, "Could you not come here first?" And that's even from those who say they can and will recruit from abroad.

Bit of a catch-22 to be honest, you need a job to get out there but need to be out there to get the job!

So yeah, any advice would help here too!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:05 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northeastlad
This is a similar predicament to my own. We're looking to go back to NZ having been out there on our working holiday visa and one of the issues we came against with potential employers was them saying, "Could you not come here first?" And that's even from those who say they can and will recruit from abroad.

Bit of a catch-22 to be honest, you need a job to get out there but need to be out there to get the job!

I believe there is a new visa class, Silver Fern Job Search Visa that allows people to come over and look for work... there's only 300 available (doesn't seem like a lot!!) and applications open 29 April 2013.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:43 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

It's not illegal to give someone your CV if you're in NZ as a visitor. You can also attend an interview if one is offered whilst here, I do not believe that this is illegal. I cannot see how that could be enforced or even why it would be illegal. An employer can offer someone a job knowing they don't have a current visa allowing them to work as long as they do not work until the correct visa is in place.

Obviously it is illegal to do any work.

It is not 'acceptable' to arrive and visit with the aim to look for work and if NZIS suspected that then there would be problems at immigration. Unless you are blatant about it then I'm not sure how they would know?

Given that work and WTR visas require a job offer first then I would imagine plenty of people get a job offer either as visitors in NZ or from overseas.

As for gaining an offer without being in NZ, it seems more common for this to happen in certain professions. Those in short supply are more likely to recruit from overseas.
Employers who are accredited, who do work on the shortage lists or if you are applying under the SMC: no need to prove no NZers are available to do the job.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 3:51 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northeastlad

Would they be willing to do Skype interviews? How about going as a visitor and 'looking around'?

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
I believe there is a new visa class, Silver Fern Job Search Visa that allows people to come over and look for work... there's only 300 available (doesn't seem like a lot!!) and applications open 29 April 2013.
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../jobsearch.htm
Have a look at the NZIS website for this. It has only been available for two years and there were problems last year. The quota goes extremely quickly! I can't remember if you have a partner or not, I believe that they cannot accompany you on this visa.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point

If I go over there as a visitor, mooch around with an eye on jobs, speak to some employers and secure a job offer (on the condition of successive Visa) would I actually be able to get a Visa? I mean, if we are not 'skilled migrants' and I have no work experience then will my qualifications + job offer = Visa? or would Hubbies work experience + a job offer (for him) = Visa? Or perhaps because he is a type of Manager he could get a Visa if he had a job offer? What I'm asking is - if we go to the location and receive a job offer what do reckon our chances are of then securing a Work Visa?
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:06 pm
Queen of the Underworld

If you got a job offer then you may well be able to apply under the SMC-add up your points and then add on points for a job offer. Very likely you would have enough. Problem is that it would be you that would have to get the job and you have said that you would prefer not to work
Have a look at the ANZSCO list on the NZIS website [under SMC], it will tell you whether your husbands job is skilled and what qualifications or work experience are needed.

You are right to be concerned about travelling to NZ and not be sure whether you could get visas even with a job offer. The way round this is to know what options there are before going and whether you could 'fit' into one.
Apart from the SMC which is for residency then there are the following visas:
Work visa: temporary only, no 'direct' route to residency. The job must be on either of the skills shortage list or the employer must prove no NZer can do the job
WTR: a temp visa is issued which can be converted to residency after two years. There are three categories: Long term Skill Shortage List and Talent [accredited employer] are the main ones. The other is for exceptional talent in sports/arts etc. The relevant one here would be the accredited employer option if your husband's job is not on the LTSSL.

So lots of reading to do Work out whether either of you are eligible given the jobs you/he does.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, we have been trying for jobs for a while now, and yes a lot of people say when you get here come see us and we will look at a job. My hubby even had a couple of interviews and despite the interviewers saying he was over qualified, he never got the job. At a recent interview he asked the question, do you understand the visa process, their reply 'no' despite being an accredited company
So after hubby saying how he needs a job offer etc and then apply for a visa, giving them details of how long the visas are taking to process and how long we could be in NZ after the visa being approved, he was offered a job - yippee
All of this was done from the UK with a telephone interview

So don't give up and keep trying and assume that your future employer knows nothing

Last edited by moonie2011; Mar 21st 2013 at 7:21 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the dilemma here. Here is the way I did it.

I checked that I had a job in the skills shortage list. I applied for jobs stating on the application that I didnt have a visa.

I did interviews via SKYPE / conference call. The full visa process takes a long while so I got a temp work visa while also collating the FULL visa.

I start in April, my interview was late november. My PR visa was sent this week.

I know that with some professions it is suggested that you pay a trip to NEW ZEALAND just for interviews, then return while you do the visa process.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:26 am
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Im trying this right now. Im in NZ as a visitor and have travelled extensively until now. Right now Im in a flat in wellington applying for jobs. My intention is to get the work visa first to enable a quick start to work.

Im also applying for my PR under skilled migrant category as soon as the job offer comes, so effectively both visas will be requested at the same time. The work visa just enables that quick start.

There is little else that can be done to simplify this process unfortunately and its amazing how many recruiters simply dont have a clue about the process.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

abwaqar is an unknown quantity at this point

i know its a little late, but i am a doctor in pakistan. i cleared the NZREX in NOV 12. They do not give any jobs to doctors unkess ure from UK or IRELAND. because their health systems are comparable to NZ's and Pakis arent. What ive been told is that u need to be in NZ to get a job. Then again, it is supposedly illegal to look for a job when ure on a visit visa. I have about 15 rejection emails telling me that there are no vacancies for the 'forseeable future'. the exam cost a hell lot.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:55 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you are correct it is "illegal" to be actively looking for work on a visitors visa and if you come into the country with evidence and stating that is your intention you would most likely be put on the next plane out of here. so it is difficult but some people visiting are just in the right place at the right time