Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

How do you show 'evidence' for your ITA if you're self employed

How do you show 'evidence' for your ITA if you're self employed

Old May 8th 2009, 8:15 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Question How do you show 'evidence' for your ITA if you're self employed

Just thinking very ahead of the game at the moment. When and if we get to submit an ITA, how do we show evidence of my OH's work experience if for the past 18 years he has been Self Employed in his trade? Have any of you had the same problem and if so how have you over come this? Thx
Old May 8th 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Natalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really nice
Default Re: How do you show 'evidence' for your ITA if you're self employed

Hello,

We will be sumbitting our ITA next Tuesday - my husband has been self employed for 10 years. We got a letter off the accountant stating that he does his books for him. We also printed off all of his tax returns from the Inland Revenue. We have also got some references from people that he has subcontracted for or done some work for - hopefully that will be enough!!

Hope that helps a little!

Natalie
Old May 8th 2009, 11:19 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks. My OH doesn't use an accountant, we just submit his SA online ourselves. I have prepared trading and profit and loss accounts and balance sheets for him over the years which I guess we would include. I probably would get a letter from the Inland Revenue office to confirm his status for the last 10 years or so too. He has a couple of people he can approach for references but so that we can get as organised as possible for when/if the time comes, does the information from the IR and the references have to be dated within a certain period of time, or could we get it done now even though we may not need it for another 6-9 months time? Just a thought .. Ta for the info, L
Old May 8th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Natalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really niceNatalie1303 is just really nice

There doesn't say anything on the form about them being dated so if I was you I'd get started now
Old May 10th 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was self-employed for many years before we emigrated.
We used the year end accounts which I prepared each year and backed that up with the tax assessment we had back from the IR annually.
I also sent sample copies of invoices as it showed he worked at the trade skill .Also testimonies we had back from customers & references from contractors.

I also collated what evidence I could from before he was self employed.
An old contract of employment. An ancient reference from an old foreman. I contacted old companies to see what they would or could provide.

Also , I got a copy of his work history which shows where , when and for whom he worked . It also shows the self-employed years.
I did this to show he had been employed in his trade before becoming self-employed. In other words to show the decades on the tools.

HM revenue & customs
Data protection Subject Access Unit
Room BP5001
Benton Park view
Long Benton
Newcastle upon tyne
NE98 1ZZ

0191 225 7575

Never too early to start gathering the paperwork.
Old May 11th 2009, 3:33 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking for the right place to ask you about your husbands points , quals etc . The 'Dump the Agent' thread doesn't seem the right place really as it is about getting rid of the rip-off rubbish agent and their response to being dumped.

Really, I wanted to find a thread of yours that was more about your future application and what may or may not be possible.

Anyway, let's kick it around a bit and see what comes out the other end.

Boat Builder - Ref. 399111 - Skilled occupation on the NZIS Immediate Shortage List - NZIS Register Level 4.

I've read that your husband had an in-house training apprenticeship but no formal certificates to show this.

Does he have anything at all to say he was at this firm and for how long?

Did I read that he had been to Falmouth Marine School ?

How old is he?

As the skill is only on the Immediate Shortage list, I can see that he is not entitled to bonus points for the trade.

These are the possible points from your posts as far as I can see .

Basic qualification:- 50 points
Comparable labour market work experience of 10 yr and over:- 30 points

Possible basic qual points for you as spouse:- 20 points.

Then there are points for his age ??

Originally Posted by NZIS point system
20-29 30
30-39 25
40-44 20
45-49 10
50-55 5
So, without the age points , I make it you could have 100 points without a job offer.

Points for a basic trade qualification = 50 points

In order to gain these points yu have to show NZIS that your husband has the necessary trade skill or qualifications for this.
NZIS keep a register of all the skilled occupations and allocate them a 'level'
The 'level' for your husbands trade is Level 4.

So, for your husband to be able to claim the 50 points for the basic trade qual, he will need to satisfy NZIS that he is equal to Level 4.

Now, I have read he has no formal trade certificates to prove his apprenticeship and training. All is not lost though. We were unable to prove my husbands apprenticeship even though he did one. However, my husband did have the C&G certificates which helped. Your husband does not.

Work experience can substitute for formal training .
My thoughts are that you will need to do a full NZQA assessment , submitting everything you can to prove your husbands training , work experience etc . You will want NZQA to come back to you with a level 4 for the trade skill.

What does anyone else think?

If you can get something from the original training company, or from the marine school , that would be good. Something to show the syllabus is helpful. Also he has years in this trade. Submit that. Once you have an NZQA level 4 result, your 50 points for the trade skill are safe.

Employment for a skilled occupation on the Immediate Shortage List

As Boat Builder is on the Immediate shortage list then an NZ employer is free to offer your husband a job provided it is in the areas of NZ when NZIS have decided the skill is in shortage.
In the case of boat building the areas are :-
Auckland/Upper North Island, Waikato/Bay of Plenty.

If he gets a job offer in any of these areas then no sweat, the employer is perfectly entitled to offer him the job.

If your husband gains a job offer from elsewhere in New Zealand though, then the NZ employer has to prove to NZIS that there is no NZ ressident or citizen to take that job. Boat Building only appears to be in shortage in certain areas of New Zealand, hence the restriction to certain areas.

I've been a bit late in catching up with your posts , so apologies if I have gone over any old ground here.

I agree with you that PR is best and for that to be a sure bet a full-time permanent job offer would certainly help.

As you know , if you have over 100 points then there is nothing to stop you putting in an EOI without a job offer. You could well be picked but it would be a toss up between a straight PR or a WTR in this economic climate.
Old May 11th 2009, 8:04 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BEVS,

Sorry to contradict you but Boat builder and Repairer is on the LTSSL
So I suppose if you could claim points for the qualification on grounds of experience alone then you should be able to claim bonus points for experience and quals on the LTSSL? Is that right?
Sue
Old May 11th 2009, 8:06 am
Newbie to NZ

Well Bev, that was pretty impressive, thanks! You have done much research on my past posts and on the net to put all of that together. In my bid to try and resolve matters for my OH, I did contact NZIS and the NZQA people but neither were particularly helpful. NZIS just simply referred us to the list of recognised qualifications. Unfortunately, the place that my OH worked and gained his apprenticeship closed in the early 90's and just last year, the owner (bless his heart) died. His wife and daughter however live just up the road from us, and the daughter did actually work there whilst my OH was there too. She has offered to do us a letter/reference. All that my OH has about his apprencticeship is a letter on headed paper (dated July 1983) from someone in the company, confirming that he completed it and listing some of the things he did during the time. He did this for 4 years so it seems a shame it should count for nothing. He did not attend college and thus it was not externally verified by an awarding body (therein lies the problem). The reference to Falmouth Marine School was that I had contacted them for advice but pretty much drew a blank.

On to NZQA, they simply stated that they don't assess work experience. This was their reply "The New Zealand Qualifications Authority regret they are unable to assess work experience without the necessary f.ormal qualification or apprenticeship papers". Such a shame. I know that him not having this qualifcation would not alter an employer's view of him but in order to show our commitment to this process, it would be good if we could tell an employer that we've been selected or whatever and the wheels are turning. As it stands at the moment, everything has ground to a halt. I can just see us staying put! It's a shame that NZ don't offer assessment of skills in the event of no qualification but relevant experience. I know they are only covering themselves but it is driving me to destruction!! There seems no way around this and as I have said previously, with the current economic climate who is going to offer you a job with a start some 12 months away??!! Thanks again for listening, yours frustrated, L
Old May 11th 2009, 8:13 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

That's Ok Sue . No worries.

Thing is , I can still only get it to come up on the Immediate Shortage Listings when I do the search.

399111 ?

If it's the Long Term then , of course, bonus points can come into play. I just can't see it there .

Ah ! I just tried the pdf files and boat builder comes up on both which it shouldn't. However if I just search for boat builder then it only shows on the immediate shortage list.

Would be worth verifying in that case. Which list is it on?
Old May 11th 2009, 8:17 am
Newbie to NZ

We still can't claim any points for it though cos it was suggested to us that you need the qualification and if no one is prepared offer a skills assessment I cannot see how they will accept experience in place of the qualification (L4 National Certificate in Boat Building/UK equiv)

??
Old May 11th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

You have done much research on my past posts and on the net to put all of that together
Actually, it wouldn't be fair to claim that at all I skimmed the posts and the rest is what I have from memory of the NZIS /NZQA site and the manual.

Re. your husbands quals , work exp etc. It may be worth investigating gaining UK recognition through NARIC. THey may well be able to help or if not point you in the right direction.
Old May 11th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

Originally Posted by Lizaberry View Post
We still can't claim any points for it though cos it was suggested to us that you need the qualification and if no one is prepared offer a skills assessment I cannot see how they will accept experience in place of the qualification (L4 National Certificate in Boat Building/UK equiv)

??
ANSCO is your guide .

n New Zealand:

NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above
Old May 11th 2009, 8:27 am
Newbie to NZ

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
ANSCO is your guide .
I have seen this written before but couldn't see the way through to actually take this any further. That was why I contacted the NZIS and NZQA thinking that they would know??

Thanks again, so glad to be gettting a bit of momentum going on this. Any information and support is a great help. I will try that organisation you mention. I even contacted the NZ based Boating Industry Training Organisation and they were unable to give me any help. This was the reply I got from them

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding your UK boat building apprenticeship. My recommendation to you is to get recognition for your boat building skills from the relevant organisation/authority in the UK, which should be recognised by NZ immigration. We cannot verify your qualification with our NZ National Certificate unless you are employed by a NZ employer so we can verify your credentials and experience"

Fat load of good that was, just another dead end!
Old May 11th 2009, 8:45 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

That's Ok Sue . No worries.

Thing is , I can still only get it to come up on the Immediate Shortage Listings when I do the search.

399111 ?

If it's the Long Term then , of course, bonus points can come into play. I just can't see it there .

Ah ! I just tried the pdf files and boat builder comes up on both which it shouldn't. However if I just search for boat builder then it only shows on the immediate shortage list.

Would be worth verifying in that case. Which list is it on?

Lizaberry keep looking, I really hope you can find a way of getting those 50 points for quals and hence the bonus points. If you can do that then you should have no problem getting selected even without a job offer
Old May 11th 2009, 8:53 am
Newbie to NZ

Thanks Sue

Have just come off the phone to NARIC as suggested by Bev but I drew a further blank. Unfortunately they can help with a Certificate of Experience but it only applies if you are seeking study or employment in Europe Bummer! Asked to see if the chap I spoke to knew anything about similar things that would apply to NZ but alas not. So, back to the drawing board. Does anyone know how I could follow up the bit mentioned about 'substituting the formal qualification for at least 3 years experience'? This would be the way forward so may be I need to be digging further in this direction. Any much more digging, and I shall have made it down under myself!!

Thanks again, Lizaberry