Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

How do you apply for residency from a work visa

How do you apply for residency from a work visa

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:56 am
Just Joined

lcook132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How do you apply for residency from a work visa

I have been in NZ since Oct 2009 and finally got a 5 year work visa in June 2010, but it is tied to my current employment.
I would like to apply for residency now, but do not know how to go about it or what form to fill in. I am here with my partner and 9 year old daughter.
My partner has a 5 year work visa off the back of mine and can work for any employer.
Can someone advise. Do we have to wait 2 years, or can we apply straight away.
Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do you apply for residency from a work visa

Originally Posted by lcook132
I have been in NZ since Oct 2009 and finally got a 5 year work visa in June 2010, but it is tied to my current employment.
I would like to apply for residency now, but do not know how to go about it or what form to fill in. I am here with my partner and 9 year old daughter.
My partner has a 5 year work visa off the back of mine and can work for any employer.
Can someone advise. Do we have to wait 2 years, or can we apply straight away.
Thanks.
hi as your not far from Hamilton, you could go there and speak to nz immigration, then get your answer straight from the horse,s mouth
its less than an hours drive, cant remember name of street but the building i think it is in westpac,s building be a good day out as well
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 5:44 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you apply for residency from a work visa

Most likely is you just apply under the skilled migrant category assuming you get enough points, you will then get residency, a work to residence visa (which it sounds like you dont have at the moment), or declined (in which case you just carry on on your work permit). Other than the WTR visa there is no link to residency from a temp work permit AFAIK.