how could she do it?

Old May 20th 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future
Default how could she do it?

my sister who is 18 wants to come to nz with us, but im not sure how she could do it as she wants to be a nurse and starts uni in september this year we are putting our eoi in in the next 2 months but she wants to come when i go. how could she do this?
thanks
ki x
Old May 20th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future
Default Re: how could she do it?

sorry i forgot to say which visa could she go over on and which would be the best opton if any.
thanks ki x
Old May 20th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kira
sorry i forgot to say which visa could she go over on and which would be the best opton if any.
thanks ki x
I am sure someone will come along with a better answer...but could she take a gap year and travel on a working holiday visa, see if she likes it and go from there...or a studen visa? However, on a student visa she would pay extortionate fees!!!!

Not sure how she will go if she has no "perceived skills" as yet, as a nurse she would most likely be in demand!
Old May 21st 2009, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

hi dannigirl,
thanks for your reply, we have looked at a few visas but still unsure so we came up with the idea that she emailed the hospitals to see if she could get a training type scheme or even a job offer where she could work towards her qualification but we will have to see what the outcome is, i looked at sponcering her once we are out there but as i read it both parents must be deceased so we are in abit of a pickle
ki x
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend she does her nurse training in the UK. Much better training & more advanced in many ways than NZ IMO. Standards here are definitely not as high as in the NHS from my experience, both as a patient & as a midwife. Once qualified & with some work experience she will be in great demand in NZ.

Maybe not what she wants to hear though
Old May 23rd 2009, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

hi vitalstatistix,
i must agree with you and ive said that to her, apparently when she does her placements over here in colege/uni she can actually choose to come over nz which is really cool. it will be nice to have her even if its for a couple of weeks. its ust convincing her that three/four years aint a lifetime.
thanks for your reply
ki x
Old May 24th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd definitely agree that it'd probably be for the best if she could stay in the UK to do her nurse training, and coming over to NZ for a placement is a great idea. I'm expecting a visitor in November on just the same basis...my best friend's daughter is currently a student midwife and is coming over to NZ for a month (I think) to do a midwifery placement over here. She's been considering emigrating here sometime in the future, and to me this seems like a brilliant way of seeing what the system is really like, gives her a greater perspective to her midwifery practice in either country, and a real insight into "real life" in NZ.
But of course for your sister the "gap year" idea might be a great compromise, spend a year in NZ doing whatever to see if she likes it, see if you settle and all that without burning any boats. Then after a year she'll definitely have a clear idea of what she wants, and can return to the UK either to train as a nurse, or to investigate visa options to move out permanently.

Last edited by Tomsk; May 24th 2009 at 3:50 am. Reason: Went back to add something I forgot!