British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   How to become Resident if not working in NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/how-become-resident-if-not-working-nz-497708/)

SmogMonster Dec 3rd 2007 8:28 pm

How to become Resident if not working in NZ?

After many years of umming and ahhing, we're looking a bit more seriously into moving to NZ. I have a sister lives there and weve been a couple of times with half an eye on it would be like to live there. The biggest problem i can find is that neither the wife or i will be working in NZ, so i cant see how we'd get in! The better half and i are both UK Registered Nurses, which is obviously in demand in NZ, however i work as an Offshore Medic aboard a drilling rig off West Africa, doing a 4on/4off rota..which i will continue to work as it gives me a very nice salary, much more than our combined nurses salary would ever be in either the UK or NZ. We have 2 kids as well, maybe another in the future, so the missus wont be working either. We would both be quite prepared to register with the NZ Nursing Council if it would help at all. So my problem is how would we get a residence permit if neither of us are actually working in NZ. I will gladly be paying (lots) of NZ tax, and would be bringing in a lot of money each to the economy, but cannot see a way around it. Any clues from your collective expertise?

happynz Dec 3rd 2007 9:10 pm

Re: How to become Resident if not working in NZ?

Yo Smoggy,

If you have enough points without a job offer there is probably nothing to stop you from applying. There is no law saying you have to work once here.

SmogMonster Dec 4th 2007 8:12 am

Cheers Happy, just done a speculative points enquiry..reckoning on 150 points (2 UK nurses qualifications, 9 years experience each, sister has NZ residence, living as a JAFA). HOWEVER, this assumes that i can use the wife and i's nursing qualifications, even though we wont have job offers. Does this seem to be OK, or will they only be applicable if we have NZ based jobs to apply them to?

SmogMonster Dec 4th 2007 8:15 am

Also forgot to ask what sort of timescales can everything be used over...we would be looking to emigrate in 1 1/2 to 2 years time, if i was to proceed with the EOI, then (hopefully) be accepted for residency, how long does it take before the offer expires?

Here comes the sun Dec 4th 2007 9:11 am

Hi my hubby and i are both nurses, we are about to submit ITA we dont have job offers but it hasnt affected us I also have a sister in NZ. Nurse reg can take up to 4 months best to get this first then submit EOI usually when selected (selections every 2 weeks) 6-8 weeks then submit ITA with medicals (valid for 3 months) and police checks (takes 30 days) longer if other countries are involved. I believe when its granted you have 12 months but im not 100% sure on that bit.

Your job sounds ideal any contacts? I could get my husband out doing something similar then I would nt need to work sounds like a plan!!

SmogMonster Dec 4th 2007 1:39 pm

Cheers HCTS, if im honest, im not desperate to register with the NZNC, simply because neither of us plan to work in NZ. It would only be as a backup if we did register, or if it was the only way that the NZIS would consider the qualifications in our points total. The offshore work pays very well (about £50-65k per year) which converted to $NZ should means a reaonably comfortable life. If your hubby was interested, he'd have to do the UKOOA Offshore Medics course..be warned, its very difficult to actually get employed offshorewhen new, all the companies want experienced offshore workers...i was very lucky to fall into a job last year. Its also an expensive course (£3000) and he'd also have to do his Helicopter escape training etc (anothr £1500), so the costs arent inconsiderable, but the rewards are obviously good. If you google search Rig-Medics UK there is a forum and contact details for various companies on there, plus a few agencies, who are often the best way to get a start in the industry.

BEVS Dec 4th 2007 9:08 pm

If you wish to claim points for your nursing qualifications then you will also need to show NZ registration. It's part of the requirement.

EOI are selected once a fortnight. 140 points and over is an automatic selection from the pool.

From EOI to ITA - Invitation to Apply - the processing time varies from application to application. Priority will be given to those with NZ job offers.

Once an ITA is received , one has 4 months to return the completed application.

One is then issued a 2 year Permanent Residency visa.

You will be given 12 months, I believe, to validate the PR visa by setting foot on NZ soil.

To maintain the PR status and be able to gain an IRRV [ indefinite returning resident visa] , one normally needs to have been in NZ for 184 days of each of the next two consecutive years.

You will, however, be working offshore, so you will be looking at proving your NZ residency via Tax Resident status.
That will include a home base here in New Zealand
I think you need to be here for 43 days within each of the two years. Meaning you can be off-shore for 320 odd days in each of the first two years.
An interview which takes place at a Work and Income office.
There is form filling and certified copies to provide as always.

You do need to renew the RRVs before expiry dates ,otherwise once you leave NZ soil , they don;t have to allow you back in again.

Once you have been in NZ for 5 years you may apply for your NZ passports if you meet the requirements.