British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Holidaying/Working with a criminal conviction (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/holidaying-working-criminal-conviction-612810/)

riley83 Jun 3rd 2009 10:08 pm

Holidaying/Working with a criminal conviction

Hi,

Have hit a wall and hoping someone can help my fustration on this forum...

Basically, the story is I have a criminal conviction (shoplifting, fine only, 3 years ago, and yes totally regret it and getting pretty upset by it) and I am really worried it's going to really limit my overseas travel/working opportunities. My employer has global offices and it's something i would ideally like to pursue.... I have had a clean slate ever since and got good, stable job in the UK but want to explore...

I know with the U.S. it's probably very difficult to go (not tried though) but I was wondering how strict other countries are???

Like, can you enter the following countries as a tourist or under a working visa (understand with working visa's they want to know more about the individual, will they ask about criminal conviction?? ) with my situation?

- Canada
- Australia
- New Zealand
- Hong Kong
- Dubai
- Singapore
- Japan

Any heads up would be greatly appreciated... it's really stressing me out and it'd be good to know there would be a flicker of hope for my future...

Thanks in advance!!!

adamlt1972 Jun 4th 2009 12:47 am

Re: Holidaying/Working with a criminal conviction

It depends on the country and the type of visa you're after.

You certainly would have to declare it on visa applications, and in the case of some visa applications you need to undertake a criminal record check from your country of origin (I'm just in the middle of an application for one for a working visa in New Zealand) , on which the offence would be shown. I'm not sure how individual countries would view the offence of shoplifting, I guess you best bet would be to contact each immigration department.

A friend of mine was also held up at US Immigration for a number of hours while it was cleared up that someone with exactly the same name as him had commited an offence in London, so information is shared between countries.

Am Loolah Jun 4th 2009 4:48 am

Re: Holidaying/Working with a criminal conviction

From NZIS;

"Good character
To grant you a New Zealand visa or permit we need to be assured that you and any family included in your application are of good character. We make this requirement to protect the well being and security of New Zealanders.

Under section 7(1) of the Immigration Act we will not grant you a visa or permit if:

* you have been convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for 5 years or more (this applies even if any of your offences have later been taken off the record)
* in the past 10 years you were convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for 12 months or more
* currently, you have a removal order from New Zealand in force against you
* you have been deported from any country, including New Zealand
* you have been involved in terrorist activities, or belonged to or supported any organisation involved in terrorist activities
* it is believed you are likely to commit – or to assist others to commit – criminal or drug offences, or an act of terrorism, in New Zealand
* it is believed you are likely – due to any international circumstances – to be a danger to New Zealand’s security or public order
* it is believed you are associated with an organisation or group that has criminal objectives or is engaged in criminal activities and for that – or any other reason – you’re considered to be a threat to the public interest or public order of New Zealand.

We carry out character checks on everyone 17 years or over included in residence applications or applying for temporary entry for 24 months or longer. We may also undertake a character check on anyone else that we consider may not meet our character requirements.

Providing evidence of good character
If you are coming to New Zealand for 24 months or longer you'll have to provide police certificates as evidence of your good character. We need to see certificates:

* everyone 17 years and over included in your application for residence
* everyone 17 years and over included in your application for a temporary visa and/or permit for 24 months or longer."

HTH

http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/Goodcharacter.htm