British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Holiday-WorkToResidence-PermanentResidence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/holiday-worktoresidence-permanentresidence-538560/)

Dan_UK May 24th 2008 8:18 am

Holiday-WorkToResidence-PermanentResidence

Me and my partner are intending to fly out to NZ in around 3 months time on a Holiday visa.

My partner's job is on the LTSSL as a Social Worker for 5 years and I've got experience in Audio Engineering for 7 years.

We're planning to obtain our doctor certificates and our police checks in UK , to have them at the ready, and then look for work in NZ while there on holiday.

Once a job offer has secured, our next step will be to apply for a Work to Residence visa and very shortly after apply for a Permanent Residency as to not let the medicals and police check expire their validity.

Has anyone here attempted to emmigrate to NZ this way?

Anyone know how long it would take to obtain the Work to Residence visa while in NZ on holiday?

beaudixon May 27th 2008 6:00 am

Re: Holiday-WorkToResidence-PermanentResidence

Originally Posted by Dan_UK (Post 6387972)
Me and my partner are intending to fly out to NZ in around 3 months time on a Holiday visa.

My partner's job is on the LTSSL as a Social Worker for 5 years and I've got experience in Audio Engineering for 7 years.

We're planning to obtain our doctor certificates and our police checks in UK , to have them at the ready, and then look for work in NZ while there on holiday.

Once a job offer has secured, our next step will be to apply for a Work to Residence visa and very shortly after apply for a Permanent Residency as to not let the medicals and police check expire their validity.

Has anyone here attempted to emmigrate to NZ this way?

Anyone know how long it would take to obtain the Work to Residence visa while in NZ on holiday?

Remember Police Reports are valid for 6mths and medicals only for 3mths. Also we found medicals cheaper in NZ.
If you apply for WTR you have to wait 2yrs before you get residency. If the jobs are on the shortages lists i would try to apply for PR straight away. Either can take months to get, if you find a job may need to get a work visa so you can start working whilst waiting for residency.

Persephone May 27th 2008 9:40 pm

Remember Police Reports are valid for 6mths and medicals only for 3mths. Also we found medicals cheaper in NZ.
If you apply for WTR you have to wait 2yrs before you get residency. If the jobs are on the shortages lists i would try to apply for PR straight away. Either can take months to get, if you find a job may need to get a work visa so you can start working whilst waiting for residency.
I agree with the above. If you're planning on going for PR anyway then why not get a temp work visa if necessary and apply for PR straight off? Alternatively your employer may be willing to wait until you have PR.
The medicals only last 3 months as well which gives you a very limited amount of time to use them, and if they're cheaper over in NZ then why not wait :D
Would you have enough points to send in an EOI without a job offer? If you do then you could start applying and then add the job offer to it at a later date. EOIs on the LTSSL usually get selected very quickly, though the subsequent process is slower without a job offer.

Let us know what you decide :thumbup:
Sue :D

BEVS May 28th 2008 12:41 am

If you plan to come to NZ on a holiday visa and then find a job offer , you can apply for a temporary work permit to get you working and then simply submit an EOI re. PR. No need for a WTR .