British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Hmmmm, got 140 points...should be happy!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/hmmmm-got-140-points-should-happy-701933/)

clairepete Jan 23rd 2011 8:20 am

Hmmmm, got 140 points...should be happy!!!!

I won't turn this into a long story of my life but basically because of my supply teaching hours it seems that my work experience has nose dived from 4 years to zero (not quite making the 2 years for points).

I decided to do the points calculator and see if this was as bad as I expected. It showed that with a job offer I would have 140 points!!! I was chuffed to bits but then the pessimistic part of me gave my head a shake because there is bound to be some loop hole whereby no visas are given unless you have 2 years minimum.

Hope someone can prove me wrong!!

Claire

BEVS Jan 24th 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Hmmmm, got 140 points...should be happy!!!!

Poo ! How close to the 2 years did you get Did you check with NZIS about the pro-rate for work hours in the case of teachers who do not work a 52 wk year ?

Applying for residency under the skilled migrant category is about the points. If you can gain a full time permanent job offer and that gives you 140 points , then you are good to go. Work experience points or lack thereof will not effect the application provided you can prove you are properly qualified to do the job.

The NZIS will want to see your NZ teacher registration.

clairepete Jan 24th 2011 10:10 pm

No I didn't BEVS, I totted up my hours for the last 2 years and it gave me 35 weeks at 30 hours. These were my busiest 2 years as my reputation has grown and getting more work. So I know my first 2 years won't match those hours.

BUT...that is good news. I thought they wouldn't give me a second glance with zero experience years. If this is the case then who cares if I don't have the 2 years. I would have 140 points. Woo hoo!!!!! :thumbsup:

All systems go...now just to get that job offer :fingerscrossed:

BEVS Jan 25th 2011 7:21 am

and first, registration.

clairepete Jan 25th 2011 9:30 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9126892)
and first, registration.

Do you think I would have more luck with jobs if I get this first?? I suppose it shows that I am serious about emigrating!

simonsi Jan 25th 2011 5:44 pm

I don't believe you will get a job offer without being registered as you wouldn't be able to take up the position so registration comes first.

BEVS Jan 25th 2011 10:15 pm

Yes. Registration first.

Start a new topic in the main part of the NZ forum on Teachers, Registration & Job Hunting.
We have several teachers who will be able to guide you on this.

robbyarg Jan 28th 2011 7:47 pm

If you got a job offer, I don't really know why you cannot get migration. NZ gives job offers big time priority. I am not sure if the work experience requirement is a compulsory one, its a points based system. But to be sure, check on the site. Check the draft EOI. Create a draft and check. You won't be able to lodge if you are below 100 or missed some mandatory conditions. Give it a shot with the draft.

Originally Posted by clairepete (Post 9122090)
I won't turn this into a long story of my life but basically because of my supply teaching hours it seems that my work experience has nose dived from 4 years to zero (not quite making the 2 years for points).

I decided to do the points calculator and see if this was as bad as I expected. It showed that with a job offer I would have 140 points!!! I was chuffed to bits but then the pessimistic part of me gave my head a shake because there is bound to be some loop hole whereby no visas are given unless you have 2 years minimum.

Hope someone can prove me wrong!!

Claire