British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Hi - I have Work Visa - What next? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/hi-i-have-work-visa-what-next-483926/)

reeba Sep 27th 2007 5:40 pm

Hi - I have Work Visa - What next?

Hello NZ!

I already have a work visa under skilled migrant category (work to residence) - any occupation/any employer/any location. I am planning to go to NZ at the end of the month and currently talking to a NZ employer about a permanent job. I have some questions that hopefully some kind person can help with:

a) Is it as simple as turning up/getting work permit stamp/starting job?
b) Do I apply for IRD number (etc.) once I have started work? Is it quick?
c) How long before I can apply for residency after starting work?
d) Is the residency application/approval likely to be a swift process?

Thanks in advance.

happynz Sep 27th 2007 6:18 pm

Re: Hi - I have Work Visa - What next?

Originally Posted by reeba (Post 5361006)
Hello NZ!

I already have a work visa under skilled migrant category (work to residence) - any occupation/any employer/any location. I am planning to go to NZ at the end of the month and currently talking to a NZ employer about a permanent job. I have some questions that hopefully some kind person can help with:

I'll take a stab at it.

a) Is it as simple as turning up/getting work permit stamp/starting job?

You have stated that you already have a work to residence visa. You will be stamped in with a work permit upon arrival at the airport.
To be honest, you are the first person I have heard of that has an open WTR. Hmmm...that's interesting. Can you tell us how getting one of those works?

b) Do I apply for IRD number (etc.) once I have started work? Is it quick?

Go to www.ird.govt.nz or you can call +64 4 978 0770 from overseas or after you arrive 0800 227 774. It's quite quick. You will need the number before you start work or you'll be dinged for income tax at 45%.

c) How long before I can apply for residency after starting work?

I s'pose you could as soon as you have all your documents and bona fides together.

d) Is the residency application/approval likely to be a swift process?

That really depends on how well organised you are and if you have what it takes to tick all the boxes NZIS is looking for.

Thanks in advance.

De nada. :cool:

reeba Sep 27th 2007 7:01 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't actually apply for a WTR exactly. I applied for permanent residency. At the final telephone interview with NZIS, I was told that I was better suited (in the interviewer's opinion) to WTR rather than permanent residency at that stage. I hadn't applied for jobs or anything.

When I got the passport back it had a two year work visa (& so did my girlfriend's). Our daughter got a student visa and our granddaughter got a visitors permit (again, both for two years). Our granddaughter visitors visa was due to her not being eligible under the same application.
All visas had no restrictions on who/what/where. I thought it was the "norm".

It took one year to get them!

I seem to remember being told that I had to work for 3 months before I could apply for residency and that it was "a formality" but I take it from your reply that it may not be?
I wonder what other paperwork I'll need other than the fact that I'm in permanent employment?

happynz Sep 27th 2007 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by reeba (Post 5361386)
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't actually apply for a WTR exactly. I applied for permanent residency. At the final telephone interview with NZIS, I was told that I was better suited (in the interviewer's opinion) to WTR rather than permanent residency at that stage. I hadn't applied for jobs or anything.

When I got the passport back it had a two year work visa (& so did my girlfriend's). Our daughter got a student visa and our granddaughter got a visitors permit (again, both for two years). Our granddaughter visitors visa was due to her not being eligible under the same application.
All visas had no restrictions on who/what/where. I thought it was the "norm".

It took one year to get them!

I seem to remember being told that I had to work for 3 months before I could apply for residency and that it was "a formality" but I take it from your reply that it may not be?
I wonder what other paperwork I'll need other than the fact that I'm in permanent employment?

So, you have a two year temporary open work visa? Wow. That's the first I've heard of one of those. I thought that for primary applicants on temporary work permits the primary applicants would have to be tied to a sponsoring employer. Hmmm...alright then, find out something new, cool.
I suppose that you might as well follow the advice you have received and work the three months and then go ahead and apply for PR.
I assume your girlfriend and you are in a verifiable de facto relationship. You will need proof of that when you apply for PR. Are you the legal guardians of your grand-daughter? You will need documents for that issue as well.
I dunno, mate, you have an unusual case. I think you are going to have more than a few visits to the information desk at the NZIS office.

Good luck.

reeba Sep 27th 2007 7:35 pm

As a matter of interest, I was also told that it would be me applying for residency (as the primary applicant) *and* that both my girlfriend and our daughter would be automatically granted it too.

We have already gone through the process of proof of our relationship in the original application. Our daughter is the legal guardian of her daughter (our grand-daughter).

I'll prepare myself for those trips to NZIS help desk!

Thanks for your help. I'll get the IRD ball rolling right away.

happynz Sep 27th 2007 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by reeba (Post 5361527)
As a matter of interest, I was also told that it would be me applying for residency (as the primary applicant) *and* that both my girlfriend and our daughter would be automatically granted it too.

True that. You will need to check on the dependents angle for your daughter and her daughter though. Once again, make the NZIS help desk your friend.

Originally Posted by reeba (Post 5361527)
We have already gone through the process of proof of our relationship in the original application. Our daughter is the legal guardian of her daughter (our grand-daughter).

I'll prepare myself for those trips to NZIS help desk!

Thanks for your help. I'll get the IRD ball rolling right away.

How old is your daughter? If she's over 18 you will need to show that she is a dependent.

Wooo, you definitely will have a few trips to the NZIS help desk. :D

Good luck, mate.