British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Hi and a bit confused (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/hi-bit-confused-792918/)

nvl35 Apr 4th 2013 5:55 pm

Hi and a bit confused

Hi all been having a read around the posts and I'm still a little confused by it all.

I've looked at the points system but not too sure if I'm putting everything in correctly. How do my wifes qualifications count? she is a teacher with pgce and degree, what does this count as level wise? I would be the main applicant as my trade is on the imeadiate shortage list I have 17 years experience have close family living there, so some positives.

The next thing is which visa is our best one to apply for and what does it cost? I have looked through all the information online but cannot fully understand which means what.

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times and all sounds a bit dumb but all the abbreviations used are confusing me a little.

Persephone Apr 4th 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Hi and a bit confused

Hello
I'll start by explaining the abbreviations:
SMC-Skilled Migrant Category, the points based system you've looked at
EOI -expression of interest, the first step in applying under the SMC
ITA- invitation to apply, the next step in the SMC
LTSSL - long term skills shortage list
ISSL - immediate skills shortage list
WTR-work to residence visa
PR - permanent residency, I avoid this one as it can be confusing now that there are permanent residents and also residents. Sometimes used to mean residency.

Any I've missed?

To points: The main applicant claims all the points, the spouse/partner can only claim points for a qualification [10 or 20 depending on the level] or a skilled job offer. They do not claim points for their work experience.
If your job is on the ISSL then you cannot claim points for work experience or a qualification in absolute shortage. You can only claim points for these if they are on the LTSSL. How close are the family members that live in NZ-can you claim points for them? You can only submit an application [EOI] for this visa if you have over 100 points. Your EOI then sits in a pool and a draw takes place every fortnight, currently only those with >140 or with a job offer are being selected. Your EOI will sit in the pool until it is either selected or withdrawn after 6m if not selected. Just being able to submit an EOI does not guarantee selection, many applicants need a job offer to get them selected. All depends on your pts total!

As for visas: Are you planning on a permanent move? If you are then you need to get residency. The two main ways are :

a. SMC which I have briefly gone into above
b. WTR-to apply for this visa you need a job offer first. Job offers generally need to be either on the LTSSL or for an accredited employer and there are certain other conditions. After you have worked for the employer for two years you can convert this to residency.

Work visas are job first, visa second. They are temporary visas only and cannot be converted to residency like the WTR visa. Your job is on the ISSL which means that a NZ employer can offer you a job without having to prove no NZer is available.

Hope this helps
P :)

nvl35 Apr 6th 2013 9:49 am

Thank you for the reply that clarifies quite a few things for me.

Been realistic we would probably look at going for a year or two to see how we settle before commiting to a permanent move. Even though we have been over for holidays and I have been over for 6 months, living and working there is a different matter. So I guess the WTR or work visa would be the best option for us.
The family I have in NZ are a sister and two nephews so I assume that qualifies as close family. Which also is helping on the finding contacts for jobs front.

janiejones Apr 7th 2013 6:23 am

If you don't have a job offer, it may be better in the long run to go for PR (provided you get enough points), that way you only have to pay for one set of visas. We said we were only coming for two years but went for PR anyway, in case it worked out okay.

If you get a job offer that needs you over there sooner rather than later, you can get a temp work visa and use the same set of medicals etc. for your PR application.

JaneRiley Apr 7th 2013 1:21 pm

I suggest that your wife registers with the NZ teaching council. It's not too difficult but you do have to send originals of documents so maybe wait until you are there. I sent mine before and stressed out about ever seeing them again knowing the postal system...but hey, they came back and all was well so happy. Good luck.

M_and_M Apr 7th 2013 5:16 pm

Jane definitely agree. I sent mine Air Sure, and the teacher registration was the thing that took longest by far, in all the visa steps. Take a look at my blog for our schedule so far.

M_and_M Apr 7th 2013 5:16 pm

Plus, decide who is the principal applicant. I think a regular degree and PGCE is L8.

Persephone Apr 7th 2013 7:36 pm

Good point M and M!
Have you worked out the points total if your wife is the principal candidate? Or is she planning on not working?

A sister counts as close family-as long as she is a resident or citizen and has no conditions on the visa

nvl35 Apr 8th 2013 1:54 pm

Yes my sister is a NZ citizen been there over 30 years
Will have another look at the points to see which is the best option for us moving forward.

How are those of you who are teachers finding it? This has been the catalyst for us to finally start moving on this, after years of putting up with horrible rude and aggressive kids my wife has had enough of the education sytem here.

M_and_M Apr 8th 2013 7:40 pm

Watch this space - and my blog... I start on Monday, fly out at the end of this week.