Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Hi all.. off to NZ from UK on fri, moving over in June

Hi all.. off to NZ from UK on fri, moving over in June

Old May 2nd 2013, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

SimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant future
Default Hi all.. off to NZ from UK on fri, moving over in June

Have a 2 week trip to NZ next week, then back in the UK for a month, then off we go. Can't wait. We'll be living in Auckland, not sure where yet, and renting.

This has got to be the most complicated thing I've ever planned, what a mission and a half!
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:32 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all.. off to NZ from UK on fri, moving over in June

Way hay and woo hoo. Bring your jacket 'cause it's autumn here in NZ presently. Good luck. Auckland and back twice in 6 weeks

Oh come on, nobody likes airline food that much !
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

SimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant future

Yeah, it is a lot of airport-hopping. It's all about work really, need to come over to kick things off in NZ before the big move later.

Trust me, I'm used to wearing a jacket. From what I've seen of the temperature it's exactly the flippin same as it is here, and we're supposed to be in the Spring. But anyway I should probably avoid talking about the weather on a forum like this

By the way, how come second hand cars cost so much over there? Seriously! Even for an old banger or something, it's almost cheaper to ship them from the UK, and that's including all the costs. Not that I could be bothered with all the hassle, but really, some of the prices on trademe are insane compared to ebay uk.
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Cars are rediculously priced here, even as you say for an old banger. I found trade me was more expensive than haggling with the dealer though, and usually you got a warranty.
Old May 2nd 2013, 3:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of second hand cars in NZ is beyond ridiculous. You will just get if you comment on it in NZ. Someone on this forum one remarked, 'I don't care how much cars cost in Chicago, Sydney or Ulan Bataar I don't live there !'

I got a good deal on a Mazda Familia, it cost about five thousand pounds. It was time we spent real money on a car (don't laugh). It came from a local dealer in Wanganui who sells cars imported from Japan. Nothing wrong with that. Some people are sceptical about, 'cheap, Jap imports' meaning cars but mine is good.

They are registered in NZ in the current year of import, despite sometimes being ten or more years old. This is considered normal in NZ. It should be made clear when it was first registered overseas. The cars are NZ roadworthy. This is standard practice, don't let the dealer give you the impression this has been done just for you. They have the W.O.F. (MOT equivalent) and Registration (tax disc equivalent) on them when you purchase it dependent on what you have agreed with the dealer.

Also, if you prefer a manual gearbox like I do, don't be surprised if they are not easy to find. The good news is, that's the ones the dealers want rid of so can be cheaper than automatic gears on a car. A lot of kiwi drivers are like American car drivers, they are completely foxed by having to use a gear stick and a clutch pedal !

Oh forget it, you are going to Auckland, just buy a tank ! In fact, with the Auckland rush hour gridlock being what it is, a pushbike might be a better option

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 2nd 2013 at 3:17 am.
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:59 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we bought our car over in the container along with the 4 bed house, was cheaper for us in the long term as we hadn't sold the house before we left, another story and don't get me started, so no available money to get one anyway. Lucky that people we met where kind enough to loan us their cars for the first few months to do the weekly etc and the occasional family day out before our's turned up
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the tips on the car, will definitely have a look at a few dealers over there while I'm in Auckland.

Cycling to commute is definitely my preferred option for day to day travel, I'm a keen cyclist and am very swayed by the location of the 2 of-road bike routes into the CBD when choosing a place to live (from the E and the SW).

Biking's not always suitable though if you're meeting a client (or very tired) so I was planning on commuting by train mostly - not in the mentality of most Kiwis I know, but I think it'll be the best option since it's more productive time than sitting in a car etc and is not as stressful all round. The trains seem good in Auckland, generally 4 or 6 an hour at peak times from most places. The nice thing about Auckland compared to London is that closeness to a station doesn't seem to affect rental prices much, so that at least is a nice change.

Last edited by SimonR; May 2nd 2013 at 9:22 am.
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:28 am

Good on ya ! Hope it all goes well and you find a rental property in a convenient location.