Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Help, Work to Residency from skilled migrant application

Help, Work to Residency from skilled migrant application

Old Sep 13th 2011, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Jan0512 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help, Work to Residency from skilled migrant application

Hi,

Any help would be appreciated, we've just had our phone interview for skilled migrant visa and have been told it's "highly unlikely we will be declined now", but because I said in my interview I would prefer to work part time while the kids settle in we may get work to residency instead of PR.

My hubby is in IT and planning to work full time ASAP, but I am primary applicant as my job is on the LTSS list.

I'm worried if I need to be in NZ in 3 months I will have to go alone (various reasons, notice periods, house sale etc) and I will be out there alone over Christmas.

Does any one know whether my hubby and kids are still included on the WTR visa? And if so will he be entitles to work at all?

This is all a bit scary and I just need any information I can get.

Thanks
Jan
Old Sep 18th 2011, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Help, Work to Residency from skilled migrant application

Thanks for the advice. I've had confirmation from our CO we can all travel on the SMC job. Seearch visa and OH is allowed to work.
Roll on decision day.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Hi there

Hope you don't mind - I saw your post and wondered if you could help as we are in a similar predicament. We are about to submit our EOI and I think we have 140 points so hopefully we will be selected.

I've heard that electricians are usually offered WTR (or Job Search Visa). Since July 2011, there seems to have been some changes and from what I can make out partners and dependents are no longer automatically included on this visa.

Like your husband, although I am not the principle applicant, I was hoping to work over there and I'm not sure how this visa would work with the kids schooling...

Do you think your CO said that your husband would be allowed to work because you submitted your EOI prior to these July 2011 changes?

I feel very confused right now! I don't know who else to ask!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Help, Work to Residency from skilled migrant application

We are on our to our new life as I type. We're in Hong Kong and arrive in NZ on Saturday.

I'm not sure about the rule changes, but as I understand it the new rules did apply to us and either if us could work if we got the WTR visa. The point was to prove within the year that we could support ourselves. However, if my hubby had found a permanent job and not me as PA I think we would have had to reapply for residency in his name.

As it turned out we got the PR visa in my name and I have a face to face interview lined up for next week. Noone would offer me a job without seeing me, and my phone interview was a preliminary requirement to even get a face to face interview.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

How exciting for you! That makes sense, surely it'll be easier to settle and contribute if we both can work. I think I may be able to get a family stream visa so that I can work if I couldn't work with the Job Search one.

Thanks for your reply and the best of luck with your new life!

HeatherGirl