British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Help, visa not complete work starts APRIL! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/help-visa-not-complete-work-starts-april-784225/)

M_and_M Jan 18th 2013 6:04 am

Help, visa not complete work starts APRIL!

We got the ITA on 7 Jan. we are a good way through the collection and collation but we are waiting on two things to come back from New Zealand, from the teaching council and NZQA- ETA 4-6 weeks.

I just heard from my NZ employer and they want me there in April.

I Have to hand my notice in here by 28 Feb to leave at Easter.

Is all of this even possible in that short time frame?

Please help, I'm having a heart attack!

MrsFychan Jan 18th 2013 6:29 am

Re: Help, visa not complete work starts APRIL!

all depends on visa time scales stated on site.

My husband submitted ITA and from the date that we took it in it took over 3mts, husband was already in NZ at the time and had offer of work so he got a temp work visa to tide him over until the ITA was finalised. yes it was a bit more money but enabled him to not worry to much about the ITA taking the stated 3mths. As a family we came out as well without the family side of the ITA completed, just meant we had to get onwards flights to enter the country. Once we had the email stating that the ITA had been approved we just got the file transferred over to NZ for the visa's to go in our passports

Neils45 Jan 18th 2013 9:37 am

I was offered a job with a short time frame so I applied for a temporary work visa to get me here fairly quickly and the SMC application is now in progress while I'm here working.

Temp work visa took 5 weeks from start to finish and that was in the run up to the Christmas holidays

Just make sure if you do it this way, once you have a case manager to tell them you have an SMC in application and they should get you here before your start date.

Hope this helps

Pom_Chch Jan 18th 2013 1:22 pm

Could you contact the company and negotiate the start date? My OH had to do this. He got offered a job in NZ in early December and by the time references came through and contracts were signed and it was mid December when he handed his notice in. His new NZ company then asked him to start on 14th Jan, which was way too soon for us! He emailed and asked if he could start a week later, they were fine with it, no problems.

M_and_M Jan 18th 2013 5:01 pm

Hi all. Thanks for the input. Am looking into temporary visa but OH (who is doing all the paperwork) says only one of us can get temp visa and the other would have to stay here?

Re the job, already asked them to be flexible with start, they wanted me to start in jan but at that stage I hadn't even sent the EOI! They have delayed to April, very much doubt they will delay any longer. Afraid that if I cannot take this job I may not get another anywhere near as easily.

The other thing that worries me is how we cope with 2 sets of bllls while one of us is in NZ working that first month with no pay, and the other is in the UK trying to sell the house and ship all the stuff.

I'm really scared :(

RachelG12 Jan 18th 2013 6:38 pm

I submitted my ITA in December, was lodged INZ on 10th. I've been told by my IO that I will get my decision by 30th Jan. Website says 1-3months for my Skilled Migrant Visa. Could your husband not go too on a 'partner of a worker' visa if you got a temp work x

MrsFychan Jan 19th 2013 4:40 am

when my OH came over here and got a job and started I just called the mortgage company and told them he had left me ;), well he had he buggered off to NZ, and they were very helpful. I just didn't pay the mortgage and kept up with the other bills. all got sorted when the house got sold which luckily for us was quick.

As for moving the house, I would say have someone in UK to deal with it, we left before our sale went through and it was a bloody nightmare even though we had family members going into the house to keep it looking nice and aired for viewings. but they can't be there all the time and on the day of the house survey for the buyer the blinkin surveyor found a leak in the down stair toilet and made a real big deal about it even though it was really small but had been going for a couple of days when no family where available to attend. luckily the buyers really wanted the house and it didn't put them off and we just got someone in to deal with it when we could. but wouldn't of happened if someone had been living in the house, then we found out we was not covered by insurance because you have to actually have someone sleeping in the house to keep it from being an non occupied property so they wouldn't pay out

M_and_M Jan 19th 2013 11:56 am

Thanks, like that MrsFychan! Lol.

What are you guys thoughts on this:

I am going to talk to Employer Monday am Nz time, explain the current position here in the uk. If they insist its April or nothing, should we go ahead and leave Mr here to sort the rest out, or turn down the job? It's a special school, equiv of a deputy head. Would it be foolish to not take it? How buoyant s the job market over there? Is it doing ok or am I lucky to have an offer while I am still in the UK ?

If I went pre house sale that would be on a huge credit card bill because we need the house sale money to pay for the move.

MrsFychan Jan 19th 2013 10:22 pm

I personally would say take the job, as far as it's going over here for teacher's it seems to be hit and miss if there are jobs around and it seems certain area's have them because they have a quick turn around of staff.

We were also lucky in the fact that husbands parents lent us some money to cover booking removal costs and visa payments along the way and we paid back from the house sale proceeds.

Do you have the house on the market already? If not get it on, if you do say there is no reason why it really can't be turned around in 6wks if solicitors and agents do their jobs properly and in a timely fashion. Make the agent aware you want only people with confirmed mortgage offers viewing, those can can move with 6wks and hope that the agent is realistic with the price. You can get a feel for sale prices by checking out: http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/ as it lists the sale prices of houses around your area.

M_and_M Jan 20th 2013 4:38 am

Thanks MrsFychan. I kinda thought that re jobs but just wanted to see what someone nZ based would say.

The house is already up for sale - we have already made the agents aware.

Interestingly I called the mortgage company yesterday Nd they pretty muh said the same as you - I need to leave and then they will help hubby! Hilarious! They won't help until you default or something - that's a bit back to front!!

Going to call the employers Monday morning and see if there's a week or two lee way if I apply for a temp visa.

Thanks for the help. Wish me luck!

inky78 Jan 20th 2013 7:29 am

Temporary visa (I will stress for me personally) took, once I'd got the medicals etc approx 10days for approval. I was working a restricted time scale (3 months from job offer to having to be here)
My only slight concern in your case would be waiting for the NZQA, as if you are not registered with them you can only work around 10 days. Not sure how this would affect your chances of getting a temp visa. Is this 4-6 weeks from posting or is it already in the pipeline. OH waited 6 weeks for hers. What she said is that you can fast track this (sadly you do have to pay for this) and start teacher registation as well (same problem as previously described). She also said take the job, as for example, for hers there were 140 applications for 2 postions

M_and_M Jan 20th 2013 7:38 am

Hi thanks for the reply. The teacher reg was sent 6 weeks ago and the NZQA last week. I intend to call them both Monday am NZ time and see what they can tell me.

What I wasn't sure of was if the temp visa needed a full NZQA report or whether the PAR they did for the ITA would be sufficient.

Many people have said take the job. The question is going to be can I make the process happen fast enough or will I lose the job.

MrsFychan Jan 20th 2013 8:19 am

I'm not sure how a temp work visa would work for you thinking about it being a teacher. Hubby got his in a morning by popping along to Wellington Immigration office with his offer of work in his hand and the ITA log number, but he's in IT so no need for all the pre approval or medical tests for it.

I think when you call NZ House, use the number in my signature as it by passes the pound a minute fee (you still get the message but not the fee - hopefully it still works). Speak to them about your best options on temp visa's and if it would be achievable.

April start - Our school Term 1 ends in April and then doesn't start again until first Monday in May. Maybe look at the schools website and see when their terms start and finish as could be a point of reference to the school on a more realistic start date.

BEVS Jan 21st 2013 7:50 pm

I'm really scared :(
That's a rotten feeling to be having. You don't need that on top of all the stress that goes with trying to migrate to another country.

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10491272)
Hi all. Thanks for the input. Am looking into temporary visa but OH (who is doing all the paperwork) says only one of us can get temp visa and the other would have to stay here?

NO! That is completely wrong.

One of you would apply for the temp work visa . The other one would apply under family stream. It's the same form , just ticking a different box. We had to do this way back when.

You could then come out and start the job. He could remain behind to tidy up your affairs and then join you. We had to do this also, ref. our house sale.

From what you write , take the job ! Jobs are like gold . Teachers are not in shortage. This is gold plating for your application.

Teacher registration is pivotal to both a temp work visa and the residency application.
Maybe chat with the NZ teacher council to say you have a job to go to. See what time-frame they can give you.
Once you have the registration in your mitt, it may pay to take the entire application- both temp work visa and residency application - in person to London NZIS.