British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   HELP smc visa without job offer, is it possible? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/help-smc-visa-without-job-offer-possible-842011/)

mamagoose Aug 29th 2014 1:28 am

HELP smc visa without job offer, is it possible?

We are currently looking into moving out to NZ but have a hit a stumbling block, I think you might call it the visa catch 22! My husbands profession of motorcycle mechanic is on the skilled migrants list but there are no employers accreditted in this field and all jobs we have so far found require a visa first and I assume would have to prove no nz employee could do the job. Is it possible to get a smc visa without an offer of work? And even if it's possible is it advisable?

MrsFychan Aug 29th 2014 2:17 am

Re: HELP smc visa without job offer, is it possible?

have you tried the points indicator to see how many points you get without a job offer?

mamagoose Aug 29th 2014 9:28 am

We would have 115 if hubby and I can get our qualifications recognised so not quite enough to automatically get through but enough to get into pool as I understand it.

LauraNotts Aug 29th 2014 1:02 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but its 140 points with or without job offer is automatic selection followed by 100 points WITH job offer. 115 without an offer would not be enough. Maybe it'd be worth contacting the employers who require a visa and ask if they would be willing to wait for a work visa to be processed? They're quicker and so might give you some wiggle room.

mamagoose Aug 29th 2014 1:16 pm

Thank you Laura, I thought it wouldn't be enough. Sorry to ask more questions, I have read the inz website but was wondering if you get a work visa do the employer have to prove that no other nz resident could do the job?

LauraNotts Aug 29th 2014 1:24 pm

Actually, if the job is on the ltssl they may not have to because the job being on the list is a demonstration of need. I know for my visa they did but it was just a matter of providing INZ with copies of the adverts posted etc.

mamagoose Aug 29th 2014 1:28 pm

My husbands job is on skilled migrant list and not any shortage lists. Thank Laura, inz website is helpful but always goid to hear from those with experience of the process. Did you apply for smc visa from uk at same time as work visa?

LauraNotts Aug 29th 2014 1:39 pm

No :) I am going for the 'held the most visas ever' prize. WHV followed by essential skills visa and now applying for residency. The work visas are QUICK if straight forward. I had mine in 5 days.

mamagoose Aug 29th 2014 1:42 pm

That is a lot of visas, think you coyld be a good contender for that prize! Sorry another question, you'll regret commenting on this soon lol. Can you get partner and children on a working visa?

LauraNotts Aug 29th 2014 1:47 pm

On that front I am not sure. Have a look for the Family Stream category.

Persephone Sep 2nd 2014 1:42 pm

Hello,
The requirement for an employer to prove no NZers can do the job is for those not on any of the skills shortage lists. A job being on the list is evidence that they cannot find anyone! It's only relevant to essential skills work visas. There is no such requirement if applying under the SMC.

If you get a temporary work visa, partner and children apply for either work, visitor or study visas as necessary off the back of the work visa.
Under the SMC everyone goes on the same application for residency.

Hope this helps
P:)