British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Help with Scottish panel Doctors (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/help-scottish-panel-doctors-772499/)

LianneM Sep 23rd 2012 5:51 pm

Help with Scottish panel Doctors

Hi there,

Looking to go to New Zealand next year on a working holiday Visa but being diabetic am required to get a medical and chest Xray. The list of panel Dr's I have been given have proven useless so far and just wondered if anyone has an up to date list or can recommend any that aren't too expensive?
Have tried contacting ARI on many occasions but one number is invalid, the other which I have been told is the correct number is never answered and there is no answer machine. One of the Edinburgh Dr's told me she is no longer in Edinburgh and has tried to have her details changed from the list for the last 18 months!
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

lisamct Sep 23rd 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Help with Scottish panel Doctors

Dont know if Glasgow is any good to you but I had mine done here
http://www.brydenmedical.com/
a couple of years ago.

HeatherGirl Sep 23rd 2012 9:56 pm

Hi LianneM

We had our medicals carried out at Aberdeen Medical Services, earlier this year. They arrange your x-rays for you too, to be carried out at the same time, at a place accross the road.

Can't remember exactly how much we paid (I have lost the capacity to retain information!) but think it was quite reasonable.

Here is the address and telephone number:
Address: Rubislaw Terrace, Aberdeen
Tel: 01224 625 766

Hope you get something organised.
HeatherGirl

simonsi Sep 24th 2012 2:14 am

Just use the current approved list on the NZIS website

triskel Dec 20th 2012 8:37 pm

Hi,
Did you have any success finding a doctor?
I couldn't find a UK comparative price list anywhere but when I had the Canadian medical, the prices varied enormously and it was way cheaper for me to fly from Northern Ireland to Edinburgh for the medical. I'm about to start the phone around in Scotland for a New Zealand x-ray and medical.
Any advice?
Thanks.

MrsFychan Dec 20th 2012 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by triskel (Post 10444443)
Hi,
Did you have any success finding a doctor?
I couldn't find a UK comparative price list anywhere but when I had the Canadian medical, the prices varied enormously and it was way cheaper for me to fly from Northern Ireland to Edinburgh for the medical. I'm about to start the phone around in Scotland for a New Zealand x-ray and medical.
Any advice?
Thanks.

see simonsi link, look for your area, ring round. only way to go I'm afraid

triskel Dec 20th 2012 10:10 pm

I was hoping someone else had done that recently. I've found with other countries it paid to travel. I'll be getting onto it tomorrow so will post the findings.

ellenarosemary Dec 20th 2012 10:12 pm

Prices for both the x-ray and the medical vary considerably from place to place, there seems to be no set fee. We travelled to Tavistock for our medical instead of having it done in Taunton (about 45 mins further) but saved over £300.

We had the x-ray done in Barnstaple and this was also cheaper than either Taunton or Yeovil - so shop around, going a bit further afield might save you £s

ps Also found that some of the names on the current list for medicals were no longer valid - so it pays to ring around.

triskel Dec 20th 2012 10:27 pm

When I had the Canadian medical done, I saved a heap by flying from northern Ireland to Edinburgh. The prices ranged by over 100%. I expect the NZ ones are the same. Least Canada had current prices beside the panel list. There are hundreds across the UK and since it's possible to save a significant amount by travelling it's a much bigger task than I'd hoped for.

ellenarosemary Dec 20th 2012 10:44 pm

We looked at Devon, Cornwall and Somerset and there were only about 4 actively practicing for the medical. Also check availability as some had huge waiting times and so it wasnt even worth booking as the timescale was too long.

A bit of time on the telephone will probably delete many of the ones on the list anyway, either through not practicing or time constraints.

triskel Dec 21st 2012 10:40 am

Medicals in central Scotland.

Done a fair bit of phoning around today and the cheapest way of getting the medical is to have the x-ray done in Perth for £77 then the medical done at Leven Medical Practice in Edinburgh for £190. Considering travel costs and all, £267 is about as good as it's going to get. Morningside Medical Centre are pretty reasonable too.

These prices have ranged up to over £500 at the top end, with most offering a combined x-ray and medical for around £420.

Waiting times are a couple of weeks but that’s due to the Christmas break.

All good!

Sherlock Holmes Dec 21st 2012 10:50 am

Re: Medicals in central Scotland.

Originally Posted by triskel (Post 10445290)
Done a fair bit of phoning around today and the cheapest way of getting the medical is to have the x-ray done in Perth for £77 then the medical done at Leven Medical Practice in Edinburgh for £190. Considering travel costs and all, £267 is about as good as it's going to get. Morningside Medical Centre are pretty reasonable too.

These prices have ranged up to over £500 at the top end, with most offering a combined x-ray and medical for around £420.

Waiting times are a couple of weeks but that’s due to the Christmas break.

All good!

Thanks for your update. :thumbup:

I have merged your new thread into the existing one.

All good, cheers.