Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Help, residency application or work permit

Help, residency application or work permit

Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

rach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant future
Default Help, residency application or work permit

Anyone any advice on the best way for me to do this, im looking at coming to nz for 6 months to work and find out if we wish to settle permanantly, any advice on which route i should take work permit or apply for residency. also if accepted for residency is there a time frame in which you have to be in new zealand by.
thanks
rach
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, residency application or work permit

Originally Posted by rach3
Anyone any advice on the best way for me to do this, im looking at coming to nz for 6 months to work and find out if we wish to settle permanantly, any advice on which route i should take work permit or apply for residency. also if accepted for residency is there a time frame in which you have to be in new zealand by.
thanks
rach
If you can set a job up before you come, Work to Residency is the quickest way to process any application, basically once you have a job offer of, IIRC, more than 50k a year, and get your medical and police records, it took the embassy in London 3 days to issue my visa, that included the time Royal Mail took to take my stuff to London too!! It only costs you around 95 pounds IIRC, and means you can come here and work for up to 30 months with an accredited employer, after two years you can apply for your residency if you so wish.

Its the cheap way to do it if you are unsure of how long you want to be here for, it lets you dip a toe in the water, set up a life, without feeling you are tied to it as you have forked out thousands on residency.

Depending how old you are you can still get a working holiday visa if you are, I think, 31 or under
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

My Personal opinion..........
If you qualify I would do the residency,
it would give me more security, If not I would be thinking constantly about what if they change the pionts system and we don't have enough,........ once residency is there its there,
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

rach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant futurerach3 has a brilliant future

If i apply for residency is there a time period that you have to get to nz within also do we apply once as a family or each person seperatly
thanks
rach
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Once, well all together as one aplication, as for the how long thing....there is a time limit but I am not sure what it is, someone else will answer for you, and a lot of them are braver than me so many will suggest other things.

You just have to do it which ever way is right for you.....

Good luck
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:09 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Need to apply as a family, with one person being the principal applicant. Make sure they're the one who will gain the most points!

Once residency granted you have a year to enter NZ

Good luck with it all
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

nellyboo will become famous soon enoughnellyboo will become famous soon enough

ce you have worked here for a year (if you have PR) you can apply for an indefinite residents returning visa (IRRV) and come and go as you please...however I came on a visitors visa, liked it and got a work visa...got a job and now going for PR. All worked out well That felt like the best route for me, just do what feels right for you.
I have a friend on WTR, however she has now decided to go for PR to speed the process of residency up so she can sponsor her son to come so it has actually cost her more than work visa to PR.