British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Help pls! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/help-pls-671173/)

Rachelb82 Jun 5th 2010 10:56 am

Help pls!

Hello

If we intend to move to NZ in Nov 2011 when do you think we should start the application process, if i decide to do the application on my own without using an agency?

i am unsure as to the length of application process and also worried that we might apply to early. advise welcome.

regards

chippy64 Jun 5th 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Help pls!

Hi Rachel, welcome to the site!

Do you have a job offer or enough points to qualify without? Applications with job offers are generally taken out of the pool first. However, even with the offer, it can still take quite a while!

If you are granted PR, you then have 6 months to send your passport up for the blue stickers. Once the stickers are in the passports, you then have exactly 1 year to arrive in New Zealand.

So, you have up to 18 months to arrive, once your PR is granted. So, IMO it's not too early to start the ball rolling but ultimately, it is up to you. :)

Rachelb82 Jun 6th 2010 10:07 am

Originally Posted by chippy64 (Post 8613430)
Hi Rachel, welcome to the site!

Do you have a job offer or enough points to qualify without? Applications with job offers are generally taken out of the pool first. However, even with the offer, it can still take quite a while!

If you are granted PR, you then have 6 months to send your passport up for the blue stickers. Once the stickers are in the passports, you then have exactly 1 year to arrive in New Zealand.

So, you have up to 18 months to arrive, once your PR is granted. So, IMO it's not too early to start the ball rolling but ultimately, it is up to you. :)

Hello,

Hi yes i think we have 145/150 points without job offer.
we are still trying to save money to put away to take with us and we have no house to sell and we want some savings which is why we have set a date of 2011. I would feel much happier if i could apply now so i know that we are at least excepted.

i am unsure what you meant by the blue stickers, is that something you can get on your passport without visiting the country once accepted?

my boyfriend is a mechanic or automtive electrician so he is on shortage list but i don't know how to go about getting him a job offer that won't start until Nov 2011 seems a bit early to start applying.

all advice is welcome, thank you

chippy64 Jun 6th 2010 12:01 pm

The blue stickers are what we all want :thumbsup:! They are what is put into your passport, along with a returning resident's visa (referred to as RRV) once you have been granted permanent residence (PR). I agree that it's too early to secure a job - it may even be that your OH will have to travel out nearer the time to gain interviews etc but I'm sure others on here can advise you.
Best of luck with your application! The majority of people on here will give you good advice, so visit often and ask away. :)

ustonzin2010 Jun 8th 2010 2:30 am

As chippy64 mentioned you have 18 months to go and activate you visas.....
Regarding the processing time, it depends on which branch of INZ is processing your application. It has been observed that the files processed in London INZ are the quickest. What country are you applying from? In London branch it usually takes about 4-6 months once you submit you ITA.(That was my experience but now i have seen processing times becoming quicker) Good luck on your application.

Rachelb82 Jun 8th 2010 7:11 am

Originally Posted by ustonzin2010 (Post 8618438)
As chippy64 mentioned you have 18 months to go and activate you visas.....
Regarding the processing time, it depends on which branch of INZ is processing your application. It has been observed that the files processed in London INZ are the quickest. What country are you applying from? In London branch it usually takes about 4-6 months once you submit you ITA.(That was my experience but now i have seen processing times becoming quicker) Good luck on your application.

Hi
i am apply from UK. We are going to start collecting our evidence and fill out our EOI forms during the next couple of months. I was under the impression we had only 3 months to leave once we had been accepted so it is great to know we can apply now and still have time in the UK with friends and family once we get accepted (thinking positive)

Thanks again

KevinS Jun 10th 2010 2:36 am

Hi, Have you previously visited NZ?
If not might I suggest that you do before starting the immigration process, it isn't everyone's cup of tea. We emigrated almost 7 years ago and to be honest I am worse off now than I was in the UK (bigger mortgage etc.) It is a beautiful country, but there isn't a huge amount of work due to small population and the pay isn't fantastic - that's why Kiwi's go to the UK to earn a stake to afford a decent house. I hate to be negative, but we learnt the hard way and are currently looking at returning to the UK.
I wish you luck.

simonsi Jun 10th 2010 7:34 am

Originally Posted by KevinS (Post 8623329)
...and are currently looking at returning to the UK.
I wish you luck.

Good luck with that Kevin but bear in mind the UK of now, or the next few years, will be nothing like it was up to 7yrs ago...

KevinS Jun 10th 2010 9:36 am

Yeah I know, we would like to holiday first - but it is a lot of money - just the whole family is miserable :thumbdown: - might not be any better back in the UK - but we will always be English (the Yorkshire accents give it away) - we will always be outsiders here, we have lived in 2 places - tried to make friends through clubs and work with no success.
I have to work away for long periods of time 6 to 8 weeks usually in Australia (there is little contract work in NZ) in order to make a living.
We came here for a better life, I used to be away Monday to Friday in the UK so the idea was to get a nice house, small mortgage and a 9 to 5 job - just didn't work for us. I am 50 years old now and believe the quality of your life, regardless of where you live, is the most important thing. We had good friends in the UK and having none here sucks.
We are probably not alone in this - we have tried to make a go of it for 7 years, sometimes you just have to admit defeat, my wife wanted to leave after her first open home, and a visit to the supermarket.
I do wish anyone who wants a new life in NZ the best of luck, we have met a few people who are happy here,. Just make sure you visit first before selling up in the UK, it is a huge commitment and the grass isn't always greener once you take a closer look.

simonsi Jun 10th 2010 10:35 am

Good luck, hope it works out :fingerscrossed:

The_Foulgers Jun 10th 2010 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Rachelb82 (Post 8613041)
Hello

If we intend to move to NZ in Nov 2011 when do you think we should start the application process, if i decide to do the application on my own without using an agency?

i am unsure as to the length of application process and also worried that we might apply to early. advise welcome.

regards

Hi
I agree with what's been said on here so far and apply sooner rather than later. I would probably also check immigration site for details of everything required, don't know how much you've looked into applying but the medicals are quite expensive and on top of the visa fee there is another fee to pay if accepted (I haven't got paperwork with me) but I think it's about £145 per person to go towards research into migration (can't recall exactly what its for but that was the gist of it).
We're using a migration agent they obviously can be certain that your application is correctly completed. Your maybe really straight forward and easy to do yourselves but it might be worth talking to an agent or visiting one at one of the emigration shows - there's one in London in July and one in Birmingham in September I think run by downunder live. That's where we met our migration agent and they're really brilliant. they are Sort out my visa and it's Veronika that deals with New Zealand applications. If you speak to them do mention we gave you their name.
Good luck with the application.
Everybody on here is really helpful
Jayne

Rachelb82 Jun 10th 2010 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by KevinS (Post 8623329)
Hi, Have you previously visited NZ?
If not might I suggest that you do before starting the immigration process, it isn't everyone's cup of tea. We emigrated almost 7 years ago and to be honest I am worse off now than I was in the UK (bigger mortgage etc.) It is a beautiful country, but there isn't a huge amount of work due to small population and the pay isn't fantastic - that's why Kiwi's go to the UK to earn a stake to afford a decent house. I hate to be negative, but we learnt the hard way and are currently looking at returning to the UK.
I wish you luck.

Hello,

Thankyou for being honest. we have visited for 3 weeks, 3 years ago and fell in love with the country. the quiet scenic life is what we are looking for. We are gutted to leave friends and family but we cannot stand the busy, busy over populated UK, there is not many places u can go without crowds. we are not expecting to be any better off financially and are prepared to work hard to achieve a home we can eventually start a family in.
Ii do not want to start a family until i am settled somewhere weather NZ, Canada or elsewhere but i do not believe it will be in the UK. well i may be wrong but until we try we will never know.
we don't own a home so its not like we are selling up and moving, we are saving up to give it ago. If we don't try it then we will regret not giving it a chance. if we don't like it we can come home. i have family in NZ and Australia also so i am hoping that the support is there for us.

I hope u get home to the UK and you are happier for it. good luck in whatever you decide. thank you again. :)