Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Help please with EOI question re teenager

Help please with EOI question re teenager

Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Freshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really nice
Default Help please with EOI question re teenager

Hello all, this is my first posting and I hope you can help. My husband has just got a job offer and has 180 points plus so we are about to submit a EOI. The problem is our 19 year old son who is staying in the UK at Uni to complete his degree. I have read about dependants being classed as under 24 with no children if you can prove you support them but do I put him on as coming over with us or leave him off as he won't be coming IF he comes at all until he is 21/22. Any help is appreciated.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:24 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please with EOI question re teenager

I'm not sure but husband seems to think if he isn't residing here he won't met the criteria, you have to be here for a certain amount of time over a 2 yr period to gain it. that could be totally wrong and someone might come along soon and give better advise but for now I would say speak to the people at Immigration London office or if you can pop along and speak to them and they can give you all the available options.

In my signature is a phone number that bypasses the pound a minute cost to call Immigration, hopefully it still works since we last used it in 2011.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Freshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really niceFreshhorizons is just really nice

Many thanks, it makes sense you would have to be in NZ for a qualifying period. I just hope that If he wanted to follow latter I could find away. The number will come in really handy
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:34 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

could he not come to NZ and go to Uni?
you do need to look at the ins and outs of bringing him over later as I know that things have changed on the visa applications for families but not sure if that relates to children.

You would need to show that he is financially dependent on you

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ed/default.htm

We couldn't bring my son over as he wasn't living with us and had no financial support from us, plus he is step to my husband who was the main applicant and thought that would make things even more complicated.
We are hoping he will take advantage of the WHV in a few years to spend some time with us.

I would call Immigration now and see what the status is for him which doesn't mean it won't change again before he decides he wants to come
Old Feb 20th 2013, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks again, similar situation he is my OH step son. I will have to do some more research. I am guessing if he came over on a family visa we would still have to pay the International Fees for Uni which are very expensive. He is doing a course with a gap year of study and one of the options is OZ so may get him to go there or ask if any chance of Auckland ( I have seen Auckland do the exchanges) and if all else fails the WHV year. I really appreciated your time and help given
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:12 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I may be wrong but could you put him on the EOI as if he is/may be coming over. This will mean paying for medicals etc but could work out cheaper in the long run and does give him the option later on should he decide to live in NZ.

He would have to come to NZ to activate his visa which means he has become resident in NZ but could then return back to the UK and finish university.

With respect to longer term, the rules for gaining a Permanent resident Visa as a dependent are not as strict as they are for the principal applicant.
The only requirement for the grant of a permanent resident visa to a non-principal applicant is that the principal applicant must hold a permanent resident visa, unless:

i the non-principal applicant is excluded by the provisions of RV2.1; or
ii the provisions requiring a secondary applicant to be assessed independently of the principal applicant apply (RV1.20.1 to RV1.20.20); or
iii the non-principal applicant has never been in New Zealand as a resident (as required by RV1.5(d)).
i and ii refer to stuff like being deported and domestic abuse
as for iii, read here:
RV1.5(d). A resident visa holder or former resident visa holder must have been in New Zealand as a resident (R5.66.5(b)) to be granted a residence class visa or a variation of travel conditions under these instructions.
R5.66.5 b. A person’s first day in New Zealand as a resident is either:
i the day their resident visa is granted in New Zealand; or
ii the day they are first granted entry permission on the basis of their resident visa, if they were outside of New Zealand when their resident visa was granted.
I read this as being that as long as your son activates his visa by coming to NZ then he can still be granted a PRV even though he doesn't fulfil the usual conditions-assuming the principal candidate is able to apply of course.

I would get this clarified as this is only my interpretation of the regulations, I may have missed something!
Better for him to have the option than to try and find a way to NZ later on
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:59 am
Just Joined

I had realized I would have to pay for a medical for him and if it is possible I think this is the way ahead. I will definitely be checking this out.
Thanks