British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Help please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/help-please-762007/)

scottishstacey Jun 17th 2012 4:12 pm

Help please

Hi people,

wondering if you can help me. As you know dave has a job offer, been putting it off for a load of reasons but now its finally decision time. Need to make a decision about wether to start visa or leave it.

I have one problem.. we've been together as a couple for a long time (years) but havent lived together as a couple since around October last year. The reason being because dave had a job where he had to work away for weeks at a time in Oban and had accomodation with work, I was unemployed at that point and our house rental tenancy was just about to end so we thought it would make more sense for me to just go stay with my mum again.

Thats him recently finished working away and is back to a normal job. So our problem being a huge lack of evidence of being a couple, we dont know what to do.. :unsure: I have things like a holiday booking which shows us both going, i can get a statement from our last landlord saying we lived as a couple etc. I dont know if that would even help though since it was last year.

Really regretting not keeping the rental going now. The only other option I have is going over on a WHV if we cant gather enough evidence for me to apply on the family stream. After living together in NZ for a year or more would I be able to apply that way? Or should we just stay here for another year and then at least I'll have the evidence for the visa i'd rather go on. Worried that if we dont do it now then the usual things in life will get in the way and we wont leave.

If anybody has any advice that would be great, I'd rather know my options first before we speak to the employer

SarahRob198 Jun 17th 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Help please

Hi there, i know if applying for an Aussie spouse visa you need to prove atleast 12 months for temp visa or 3 years worth of evidence without children, keep everything you have received via friends (invites, cards that are joint) from now on! The thing is i you want something enough then nothing shall get in the way here, i'd personally wait, collect all the evidence needed n then go! Or i your too impatient and eager which also is me lol then look into the WHV in depth and see i you could apply for the further isa once out there on that, that is something you would wanna make sure you knew the facts about though otherwise could you imagine spending all that extra money on flights if you had to come back and apply. Why not seek an agent? Ian Harrop & Associates are great, and give a free consultation on first call :) I hope this helps, Sarah.

scottishstacey Jun 17th 2012 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by SarahRob198 (Post 10124297)
Hi there, i know if applying for an Aussie spouse visa you need to prove atleast 12 months for temp visa or 3 years worth of evidence without children, keep everything you have received via friends (invites, cards that are joint) from now on! The thing is i you want something enough then nothing shall get in the way here, i'd personally wait, collect all the evidence needed n then go! Or i your too impatient and eager which also is me lol then look into the WHV in depth and see i you could apply for the further isa once out there on that, that is something you would wanna make sure you knew the facts about though otherwise could you imagine spending all that extra money on flights if you had to come back and apply. Why not seek an agent? Ian Harrop & Associates are great, and give a free consultation on first call :) I hope this helps, Sarah.

Thanks Sarah, thats great. I've had a look online but mostly all i can find is information about joining your spouse (if they are a NZ or oz citizen). We're both scottish so im just a bit confused about what to do. I have things like photos of us in florida in 2010 which includes his mum, sister and nephew as we went as a family. I also have our confirmation of our holiday that we went on a few weeks ago together.

Im soo bad at keeping things, i'll need to start from now on. I think I'll definitely speak to a agent about it so i know for definite but it seems like we'll probably have to rent somewhere and wait at least a year so we have enough evidence. I can never just keep things simple :lol: I just didnt think at the time of moving back with my mum that we would ever be moving to NZ, if i'd thought of the complications of this i would of just rented again:frown:

SarahRob198 Jun 17th 2012 8:28 pm

Yeah tell me about it hun, at one point we weren't really looking at moving to Aus as in depth as we are now and so about a year ago we had a sort out making it alot harder and more complicated to collect evidence for the last three or atleast two years (as we have a child together) they wanted us to produce a document either joint or one each to same address for every month, we did it eventually lol!! Just bear this in mind and keep everything, order paper bank statements from now on to fill in any gaps that may be missing at the end of it, a joint bank account would be even better too, take regular pics of yourselves as a couple, they aren't too fussed about pics with other family as we asked our agent this, when involving other people it starts getting complicated, we are with Ian harrop & Associates and would definitely recommend them to anyone :) i hope this helps again and good luck in whatever you deide to do hunni xXXx

scottishstacey Jun 17th 2012 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by SarahRob198 (Post 10124428)
Yeah tell me about it hun, at one point we weren't really looking at moving to Aus as in depth as we are now and so about a year ago we had a sort out making it alot harder and more complicated to collect evidence for the last three or atleast two years (as we have a child together) they wanted us to produce a document either joint or one each to same address for every month, we did it eventually lol!! Just bear this in mind and keep everything, order paper bank statements from now on to fill in any gaps that may be missing at the end of it, a joint bank account would be even better too, take regular pics of yourselves as a couple, they aren't too fussed about pics with other family as we asked our agent this, when involving other people it starts getting complicated, we are with Ian harrop & Associates and would definitely recommend them to anyone :) i hope this helps again and good luck in whatever you deide to do hunni xXXx

I'm going to see about opening a joint bankaccount, I definitely will if we rent another place for a year. Really dont know why we didnt have one before, seems silly now! I just wish i'd thought of this and was more organised. It's a bit of a mess! :confused: I've told him not to ring the company till i find out about the WHV. If it looks like I cant go on his visa or that one im going to feel really bad that he has to wait

Jan n Neil Jun 18th 2012 8:36 am

Do not despair!!!! We did not have a shared home or any single bill together! We had two houses but had regarded ourselves as a couple for four years. We got letters of support from friends and relatives, digital photos with dates on, strange things like we adopted a dog and discovered it was registered at Neil's house but in my name, there are all sorts of things you can provide if you dig deep. Buy a settee in his name but send it to your house. Use your bank statement to prove you paid a bill for him. Etc. Honestly, if you're a real de facto couple in the eyes of NZIS, you can prove it :thumbsup:

Jan

scottishstacey Jun 18th 2012 9:14 am

Thanks Jan! I feel so much better now. Its just crazy cos we've been a couple for years and lived together but its just been the circumstances with daves last job that messed it up. I have council tax bills with both our names on them from our last rental and that was for a full year and i'll get a letter from our landlord. I have couple travel insurance from 2011 that dave paid for and then i have the conformation of this years travel insurance which i paid for, im hoping little things like that will help. I'll need to think of others!

Jan n Neil Jun 18th 2012 9:16 pm

Sounds like you'll be fine. I was just as worried as you then all sorts of joint things came to my mind, just like travel insurance etc - you can get someone else to write a letter explaining why you are not currently sharing an address, that will help too. :thumbsup:

Jan

scottishstacey Jun 18th 2012 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 10126170)
Sounds like you'll be fine. I was just as worried as you then all sorts of joint things came to my mind, just like travel insurance etc - you can get someone else to write a letter explaining why you are not currently sharing an address, that will help too. :thumbsup:

Jan

Im just a natural worrier lol dave was typically like "oh it will be fine" and im like "how do you know!!!" :rofl: he's definitely the laid back one. Hopefully we'll be okay, I'll try find my holiday confirmations and also the hotel booking from a few weeks ago. They better be there!!:unsure:

The letter sounds a good idea!

Persephone Jun 19th 2012 9:12 am

From the operational manual - Residence

F2.20.15 Evidence of living together in partnership that is genuine and stable
a. Evidence that the principal applicant and partner are living together may include but is not limited to original or certified copies of documents showing shared accommodation such as:
i joint ownership of residential property
ii joint tenancy agreement or rent book or rental receipts
iii correspondence (including postmarked envelopes) addressed to both principal applicant and partner at the same address.

b. If a couple has been living separately for any period during their partnership, they should provide evidence of the length of the periods of separation, the reasons for them, and how their relationship was maintained during the periods of separation, such as letters, itemised telephone accounts or e-mail messages.

c. Evidence about whether the partnership is genuine and stable may include but is not limited to, original or certified copies of documents and any other information such as:
i a marriage certificate for the parties;
ii a civil union certificate for the parties;
iii birth certificates of any children of the parties;
iv evidence of communication between the parties;
v photographs of the parties together;
vi documents indicating public recognition of the partnership;
vii evidence of the parties being committed to each other both emotionally and exclusively such as evidence of:
 joint decision making and plans together
 sharing of parental obligations
 sharing of household activities
 sharing of companionship/spare time
 sharing of leisure and social activities
 presentation by the parties to outsiders as a couple.
viii evidence of being financially interdependent such as evidence of
 shared income
 joint bank accounts operated reasonably frequently over a reasonable time
 joint assets
 joint liabilities such as loans or credit to purchase real estate, cars, major home appliances
 joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, water, telephone)
 mutually agreed financial arrangements.

d. The presence or absence of any of the documents, information or evidence listed above is not determinative. Each case will be decided on the basis of all the evidence provided.
Evidence about these matters may also be obtained at interview and can be considered up until the date of final decision.
See section b above. As Jan says, all sorts of things will come to mind- keep everything however trivial. You have a good reason for your separation so explain it well.

I think you were planning on going for residence- am I right?

scottishstacey Jun 19th 2012 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10126917)
From the operational manual - Residence

See section b above. As Jan says, all sorts of things will come to mind- keep everything however trivial. You have a good reason for your separation so explain it well.

I think you were planning on going for residence- am I right?

Yes we would like to go for residence if possible, We need to sort this out with the employer tho because they have worked out his salary on a 45hour week instead of 40 so i dont know if it'll be enough to apply for res. They know we definitely want to so we're going to speak to them tonight about it and see if we can sort it out.

I'll have a good look and see what other evidence i can find. I tried to log on to easyjet to find our holiday booking but cant see it, grrrrr!

Yeah it was purely a financial and work reason that we lived seperately, i wasnt working so it didnt make sense for me to rent somewhere alone and he worked at least 2 weeks away at a time and only came home for 1 or 2 nights. Hard times, and i would of just tried to keep the house if i'd known it would of caused all this evidence trouble!

Persephone Jun 19th 2012 9:40 am

So you're wanting to go for a Work to Residence visa then from the mention of salary and hours? Sorry, I know you've mentioned it but my memory has decided to take a holiday somewhere...
You have good reasons for living apart, explain why you were and find anything that proves that eg job contract, photos when you were together, rental agreements for both houses etc
If you have plenty of proof from before and after living apart then they will take it into account.
Best of luck with the chat about salary tonight:fingerscrossed: