British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   help with NZ EOI (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/help-nz-eoi-658935/)

tonz76 Mar 11th 2010 4:33 pm

help with NZ EOI

Hi,

I have submitted an Expression of Interest and have just noticed that my trade (fully qualified gas engineer) is listed on the immediate skills shortage list, Occupation and ANZSCO number: Gasfitter (334114). I am not currently registered with The New Zealand Plumbers and Gas fitters board. Would I be able to claim points for this on my application in the section F12 that states Are you claiming points for a qualification in one of the areas of absolute skills shortage? And section G5 If so would I have to pay again to resubmit my application after editing. I currently have a points scoring of 125 and if I can claim this it would put above 140? I tried ringing nz immigration ( Very expensive) and the lady I spoke to was not much help!

simonsi Mar 11th 2010 5:52 pm

Re: help with NZ EOI

Once your EOI is being assessed you can have that discussion with the reviewing officer and they give you that opportunity to provide any other information.

BEVS will probably be along to paste in her excellent gasfitter/plumber how-to-get-to-NZ text any moment....:thumbsup:

Persephone Mar 11th 2010 8:12 pm

The ISSL is not used when applying for PR, it is used for temp work visas. When it mentions extra points for absolute skills shortage it refers to the long term skills shortage list only [though I don't know why they don't just say that:sneaky:] So you can't claim extra points, sorry.
By the way, you can edit an EOI up to the point where it is selected, there is no cost. If you need to change anything once selected then you have to contact NZIS directly, there is no cost apart from the phone call.
Good luck, 125 points is reasonably high anyway!

BEVS Mar 11th 2010 8:27 pm

HaHa Simonsi. I should copy and paste more or stick summat on the BE wiki :thumbup:, but I do like to make a more personal response as I well remember how we felt at the time. :banghead:

Welcome to this little NZ forum Tonz76. :)

Hi,
I have submitted an Expression of Interest and have just noticed that my trade (fully qualified gas engineer) is listed on the immediate skills shortage list, Occupation and ANZSCO number Gasfitter (334114):
Yes it is.
This means that NZ employers in certain areas of NZ are free to offer you a job without having to prove that there is no NZ resident or citizen for that work. In recession, that's a good thing. :thumbup:

The immediate shortage list isn't to do with EOI's & the skilled migrant category . It is more about temporary work visas and to help NZ employers.

I am not currently registered with The New Zealand Plumbers and Gas fitters board
Then you need to get your PGDB pre-assessment done to see if the PGDB will accept your overseas qualifications or not. If they do, then you should be OK to claim points for the gas fitting trade skill.

Please note though, that you cannot beccome registered with the PGDB , even though NZIS - New Zealand Immigration state that it is a requirement. To become registered you would need a positive PGDB pre-assessment and then to pass a 4 day course of practical tests of workmanship and a registration exam here in Wellington. It can only be done here in NZ and should only be undertaken with knowledge of New Zealand working practices, standards and regulations.

Please click THIS LINK and read

. Would I be able to claim points for this on my application in the section F12 that states Are you claiming points for a qualification in one of the areas of absolute skills shortage?
The answer is no. Your trade is not on the long term shortage list and so is not in absolute shortage.

And section G5
not applicable as the trade isn't in absolute shortage. It is just in immediate shortage.

So no bonus points can be claimed.

If so would I have to pay again to resubmit my application after editing
No. You are free to edit the EOI until you pay and submit it.

I'll add something further about applications from plumbers and gasfitters.

NZIS state that plumbers and gasfitters need to be PGDB registered. As you now know, this isn't really possible .

You will submit your EOI and claim points for your trade skill and for your years on the tools in the trade. You can claim points for this.
Once your EOI is selected and you reach the ITA - invitation to apply -stage, you will then need to send in proof of your overseas quals and work experience and also the pre-assessment result from the PGDB. That letter proves that you have the standard required.

What that letter can't do is match the PGDB requirement as that can only be fulfilled by sitting the registration full assessment here in NZ.........

......so........

what could possibly happen is that NZIS wouldn't offer the gasfitter or plumber PR - permanent reisidency - straight off. They could be offered a Work to Residency visa instead. Note:- this is for applications without a job offer in the trade.

To gain PR , NZIS might want to see
1 - the gasfitter or plumber has an NZ job
and therefore
2 - a PGDB limited license

which leads NZIS to feel that NZ PGDB registration will follow. They would then allow PR.

Is that clear as mud?

One other thing to think of for you as a gasfitter.

Gasfitting is on the Immediate Shortage list so an NZ employer can offer you an NZ job. You could perhaps think to try for an NZ job offer to boost your points. You would then also be able to apply for the PGDB limited license. This could satisfy NZIS enough to offer you PR.

There is also the NZIS accredited employers list. Any of those employers are also free to offer you a job.

None of this is written on stone. It's just my personal opinion of how it could possibly go taken from my own experiences and that of others.

simonsi Mar 11th 2010 8:40 pm

Hi Bevs, your answers rock as always, I know more about how to get into NZ as a gasfitter than about my own profession :D

Do cut-and-paste sometimes though, then you fingers will last longer!

:thumbup:

BEVS Mar 11th 2010 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8413716)
I know more about how to get into NZ as a gasfitter than about my own profession

:lol:

I'll leave the next one to you. :sneaky:

simonsi Mar 11th 2010 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8413719)
I'll leave the next one to you. :sneaky:

No problem, all together now cut and payyyyste! :eek: :rofl:

tonz76 Mar 11th 2010 9:06 pm

Hello and thanks to all of you for your responses, especially the detailed response from Bevs. I think Ive got a better understanding of the process now. I have started to look on the seek website for suitable vancies, though I was'nt sure employers would consider me, if I havent already got a visa? How long would the PGDB limited license allow me to work in New Zealand? After looking at the previous eoi draws I wasnt sure whether I would get selected within the 6months period with my current points, so I have also considered going for a temporary work visa. Then maybe try to submit my eoi after that working period though I know to get PR would atleast be a more secure option.

BEVS Mar 11th 2010 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by tonz76 (Post 8413773)
Hello and thanks to all of you for your responses, especially the detailed response from Bevs. I think Ive got a better understanding of the process now. I have started to look on the seek website for suitable vancies, though I was'nt sure employers would consider me, if I havent already got a visa? How long would the PGDB limited license allow me to work in New Zealand? After looking at the previous eoi draws I wasnt sure whether I would get selected within the 6months period with my current points, so I have also considered going for a temporary work visa. Then maybe try to submit my eoi after that working period though I know to get PR would atleast be a more secure option.

You're sensible. :thumbup:
Most NZ employers will think it is a visa first and then a job offer. Many will want already registered guys. Doesn't stop you from trying though.
an NZIs accredited employer would have more knowledge of the NZIS system. Have a look through the list on the NZIS website and maybe go along to one of the expos in the UK for a chat.

The PGDB limited license isn't an NZIS visa, although I am sure that you know that.
It is a PGDB license that allows you to work in your trade under supervision .
All licenses are renewable annually at the end of March.
Once you had a job offer, you and the NZ employer would apply for the PGDB limited license.

If you had 125 points , you could be drawn ,but as I stated, without a job offer or PGDB registration, you might well be offered work to residency instead.

tonz76 Mar 11th 2010 9:34 pm

I have considered looking at different career options to see if it is possible to cross over to another trade or gain training. For example hvac. I have noticed some job vacancies stating that training would be given but I know I would def have to go through the work permit route for this providing they are permitted to offer me the job under nzis rules. So much to consider.

BEVS Mar 11th 2010 9:39 pm

You also need your trade qualifications to match.

At least gasfitting is on the immediate shortage list.

tonz76 Mar 11th 2010 9:55 pm

yes very true best to stick with what I know. Well fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

tonz76 Mar 11th 2010 10:12 pm

one last question do you know where I can find a link to the list of accredited employers list for gas fitters?:)

BEVS Mar 11th 2010 11:48 pm

HERE it is

You'll have to work your way through the list looking for likely employers. They are all mixed up.

Also

links for

Trade Me

Master Plumbers Assn

Rock Gas

E Gas

Ongas

Gasco

Double check to see if any are accedited. If not, make sure they understand it is job offer first and you'd get yer bum out to NZ soon as ......

tonz76 Mar 16th 2010 6:01 pm

hi bevs me again thanks for the list just got another question. Ive been a gas engineer for 11yrs now. Completing my apprenticeship and working for a few years at bg first, and for the last 3yrs at another large competitor . I am trained as a service and repair engineer for domestic heating installations, as this is what was required for both companies although my apprenticeship did obviously cover installation. I was just wondering if there would be much call for a this side of the business in new zealand or am only looking at gas installs? I know the heating system are not what we get in the uk though. :unsure: