help needed confused

Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:07 am
  #1  
slime
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: AUCKLAND
Posts: 61
simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice
Default help needed confused


just had my immigration email me and they are asking for the following

(In order to obtain the 50 points previously claimed for your qualification, you were required to provide City & Guilds Parts 1 & 2 plus apprenticeship, or a New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) assessment of your qualifications with the outcome that it is equivalent to a NZ qualification at Level 3 or higher. )

on there web site seem i did need an assessment but what do they class as apprenticeship registered with a recognized industry body the only apprenticeship was the company i work for who now stopped trading. or can i use the institution of engineering and technology(IET) or The institution of electrical engineering (IEE) who's regulation i trained under
need this info ASAP As we only have to november 23rd to get an nzqa assessment if needed also will a per-assessment do or will i need a full one. if i can get this sorted then my dreams are just out of reach
simon-nall is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:27 am
  #2  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,104
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed confused

Hi Simon.
Let's see if we can all help.

From your posts it seems you submitted an EOI and you are now at the ITA stage.

For what skill or trade did you claim points for ?

It depends which trade you claimed for ,as to whether you need an NZQA assessment or not.
What trade name was it ?

In order for NZIS to let you have 50 points for your trade skill , you have to prove to them that you were trained in that skill.

For example a plumber, electrician , carpenter etc ( please see list below) does not have to have an NZQA assessment. They send in their UK qualification certificates, proof of training and work experience to NZIS along with all other papers and the ITA.

If your trade is not one of these

* Aeronautical Engineering Craft Studies
* Agricultural Mechanics
* Bakery
* Brickwork
* Carpentry and Joinery
* Cooking for the Catering Industry
* Electronics Servicing
* Electrical Installation Work
* Engineering Craft Studies
* Fabrication and Welding Engineering Craft Studies
* Furniture Craft Studies
* Gas fitting
* Hairdressing
* Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
* Instrument Fitting
* Machine Woodworking
* Masonry
* Mechanical Engineering Craft Studies
* Mechanical Engineering Maintenance
* Motor Vehicle Craft Studies
* Motor Vehicle Craft Studies (Light Vehicles, Heavy Vehicles, Vehicle Electricians, Fuel Injection Equipment Mechanics)
* Painting and Decorating
* Plumbing
* Printing
* Radio, Television and Electronics
* Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning
* Sheet Metal and Thin Plate Craft Studies
* Structural and Thick Plate Craft Studies
* Yacht and Boat Building Craft Studies


then you will need to have an NZQA assessment. A NZQA PAR - prelim assessment will suffice BUT it must come out as an NZQA level 3 or higher.

Also if your trade IS one of the above but you do not have the usual qualifications and training
i.e. C&G / NVQ plus apprenticeship or training proof, then you will also have to get an NZQA prelim assessment.
BEVS is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 8:11 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cramlington,Northumberland
Posts: 218
KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice
Default Re: help needed confused

Hi simon

are you an electrician, as your qualifications are the same as my husband pauls., he also has the same as you part 1 & 2 city and guilds 15th & 16th edition IEEE, but also like you he did a full apprenticeship but only through the company that he was working for and he has the certificate but it is not a registered body
we sent off for a full assessment, and just sent off all the documentation that we had, and we are hoping that this is enough to get us through.
did you see the post that i put up that NZQA are behind on their time schedules for completing assessments and are advising people that if you have a deadline to fast track them.

hope that this helps and i will send you some karma

with regards

kirstie
KIRSTIE is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:54 pm
  #4  
slime
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: AUCKLAND
Posts: 61
simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice
Default Re: help needed confused

hi kirstie

thank for you reply did you send for a per assessment via the nzqa web site or a full assessment which seems to be sent via snail mail (post).

the panic now running and really need lots of karma as they have set a date for the assessment.
simon-nall is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:09 pm
  #5  
slime
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: AUCKLAND
Posts: 61
simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice
Default Re: help needed confused

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
Hi Simon.
Let's see if we can all help.

From your posts it seems you submitted an EOI and you are now at the ITA stage.

For what skill or trade did you claim points for ?

It depends which trade you claimed for ,as to whether you need an NZQA assessment or not.
What trade name was it ?

In order for NZIS to let you have 50 points for your trade skill , you have to prove to them that you were trained in that skill.

For example a plumber, electrician , carpenter etc ( please see list below) does not have to have an NZQA assessment. They send in their UK qualification certificates, proof of training and work experience to NZIS along with all other papers and the ITA.

If your trade is not one of these



then you will need to have an NZQA assessment. A NZQA PAR - prelim assessment will suffice BUT it must come out as an NZQA level 3 or higher.

Also if your trade IS one of the above but you do not have the usual qualifications and training
i.e. C&G / NVQ plus apprenticeship or training proof, then you will also have to get an NZQA prelim assessment.

Thank for the reply but I am struggling with the terms “apprenticeship or training” all the training was done was centre based at the local collage. The only proof of this is the record of achievement which is supplied with my City and Guild 236 installation parts1 and 2. And all other training was done was site work. I think if I need to do a full assessment then there might be a time issue. hopehopefullyan get through in a premil assessment (pre asseassessment
regards
simon
simon-nall is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:27 pm
  #6  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,104
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed confused

Look.
If you have electrical City and Guilds parts 1 and 2 then these should have been sent into NZIS. They must go with your ITA
Send in the record of achievement too.

If you are unable to show you have xx amount of years training then explain this to them. This is what we had to do.

My husband had his C&G parts 1 and 2 certificates but had absolutely NO records of his apprenticeship or training. Like you , he did 4 years with the firm, did on site training and then a day release at the local college plus some other courses. He sat his C&G exams and hence the C&G certificates. We simply explained that there were no longer any records and NZIS accepted this. The firm he did his training/apprenticeship with had gone bust years ago, and he had no records of training of any sort.

Apprenticeships are always done through a trade company. It is the employer that offers the apprenticeship. They pay for your study and you get paid an apprenticeship type wage. You are regarded as a trainee.
You work for the company, learning as you go. They send you to college on a day release, night classes and / or block courses . You end up sitting an exam or being evaluated through coursework assessment and at the end you should be awarded a nationwide recognised qualification/ certificate.

C&G is recognised
NVQ is recognised



Electrical Installation Work does not require an NZQA assessment provided you are fully UK qualified .
BEVS is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2007, 6:57 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
sananddave has a spectacular aura aboutsananddave has a spectacular aura aboutsananddave has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: help needed confused

We are also rather confused and concerned about our future plans to get to NZ (again) regarding City and Guilds Qualifications for the following reasons; OH started worked as Painter and Decorator from leaving school - 20-30 years ago, then became a trucker - now completing C & G LEVEL 3 in P & D as a mature student with past experience - P & D on skills list not requiring NZQA but level 1 & 2 never been attained as work assessed by college to be of required standard.HELP
sananddave is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:05 pm
  #8  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,104
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed confused

Originally Posted by sananddave View Post
We are also rather confused and concerned about our future plans to get to NZ (again) regarding City and Guilds Qualifications for the following reasons; OH started worked as Painter and Decorator from leaving school - 20-30 years ago, then became a trucker - now completing C & G LEVEL 3 in P & D as a mature student with past experience - P & D on skills list not requiring NZQA but level 1 & 2 never been attained as work assessed by college to be of required standard.HELP
I suggest you have your husbands college write a letter to explain the assessment for prior learning and perhaps enclose the method employed to do the assessment.
i.e. tests, practicals and any evidence your husband submitted to show he actually did have previous experience.
The letter should also reflect that your husband is now fully qualified .

The aim is to make this as easy as possible for NZIS or NZQA to understand by providing them with all necessary info in one hit.

You have three ways to go & the choice is yours really.

You either take a chance and submit all you have direct to NZIS and hope they understand what they are looking at.
What they are , of course, looking at & for is a properly completed C&G to advanced level 3 with proof of training .

Assessments for prior learning do happen here in NZfor adult, mature students. There is a set method for these assessments to happen, so NZIS may well understand and accept the break in training and work experience.

Send -
Certificates or certified copies of them.
Proof of training for the C&G level 3
A letter from the college re. the assessment for prior learning.
Proof of work experience .
Proof of the work experience from 20+ years ago if you have it.

If NZIS are not satisfied with this, they will tell you to apply for a NZQA assessment.

or

You could go direct for an NZQA assessment.

You could try the pre-assessment first.
There is a fee and an on-line form.You don't send any paperwork but you must be very precise about the information you put on the on-line form.

NZQA will either email you back with an equivalent NZQA level for your husbands quals, or they will say they cannot assess on the info. given and suggest you go for the full assessment .

If NZQA come back to you with a level, then you submit that to NZIS along with all on the above list.

With the full assessment , you send in all your paperwork . That is everything relating to your husbands C&G3. The list would be as above. They would then come back to you with an equivalent NZQA level after carrying out checks. Again , you send that along with all on the above list.

If it were me, and it is not, I would spend a little dosh on the middle route and get an on-line NZQA pre-assessment . This way you hedge your bets.
BEVS is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:26 pm
  #9  
slime
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: AUCKLAND
Posts: 61
simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice
Default Re: help needed confused

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
Look.
If you have electrical City and Guilds parts 1 and 2 then these should have been sent into NZIS. They must go with your ITA
Send in the record of achievement too.

If you are unable to show you have xx amount of years training then explain this to them. This is what we had to do.

My husband had his C&G parts 1 and 2 certificates but had absolutely NO records of his apprenticeship or training. Like you , he did 4 years with the firm, did on site training and then a day release at the local college plus some other courses. He sat his C&G exams and hence the C&G certificates. We simply explained that there were no longer any records and NZIS accepted this. The firm he did his training/apprenticeship with had gone bust years ago, and he had no records of training of any sort.

Apprenticeships are always done through a trade company. It is the employer that offers the apprenticeship. They pay for your study and you get paid an apprenticeship type wage. You are regarded as a trainee.
You work for the company, learning as you go. They send you to college on a day release, night classes and / or block courses . You end up sitting an exam or being evaluated through coursework assessment and at the end you should be awarded a nationwide recognised qualification/ certificate.

C&G is recognised
NVQ is recognised



Electrical Installation Work does not require an NZQA assessment provided you are fully UK qualified .
hi bev

just had a email back from my immigration officer and she is insisting i get a FULL ASSESSMENT for my City and Guilds 236 Electrical Installation part 1 and 2 after pointing out that a full assessment is not requires and it states on there web site i gave them all the reference then they sent the same info back, feeling a little OP having to spend $800 to fast track a full assessment then courier it back seems this is hopefully the only way forward. ha ho. just like to say thank to yourself and kitsty for you help

Ps if any one know how to deal with Bxxxxxx minded officers i am interested or anything that can help. thank again
simon-nall is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:03 pm
  #10  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,104
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed confused

Bummer. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome to the full assessment.
BEVS is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:05 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
sananddave has a spectacular aura aboutsananddave has a spectacular aura aboutsananddave has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: help needed confused

Thanks also to Bevs for your invaluable advice - going to do on line pre assesment in the near future just to see where we stand for the future. Our plans at the moment following our previous plans to get to NZ via the Trucker route turning to crap are as follows- had a rethink, hence OH gone back to P & D to finish qualification (things must happen for a reason as is enjoying his work more than ever now compared to driving which is great as we are now 48 years old and dont need the stress!!). We are planning to go back to Tauranga area next March/April and get work - already had a reply from a firm expanding in the area next year and said to let them know our time of arrival and if any suitable vacancies will consider OH for job- they have even given an hourly rate to expect from them , which from our past experience is very unusual even to get a reply never mind to talk salary!!!So get work and train in specialised and industrial coatings - gain NZ experience then apply for Skilled Migrant . What do you think? opinions most welcome
sananddave is offline  
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:49 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 89
sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: help needed confused

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
I suggest you have your husbands college write a letter to explain the assessment for prior learning and perhaps enclose the method employed to do the assessment.
i.e. tests, practicals and any evidence your husband submitted to show he actually did have previous experience.
The letter should also reflect that your husband is now fully qualified .

The aim is to make this as easy as possible for NZIS or NZQA to understand by providing them with all necessary info in one hit.

You have three ways to go & the choice is yours really.

You either take a chance and submit all you have direct to NZIS and hope they understand what they are looking at.
What they are , of course, looking at & for is a properly completed C&G to advanced level 3 with proof of training .

Assessments for prior learning do happen here in NZfor adult, mature students. There is a set method for these assessments to happen, so NZIS may well understand and accept the break in training and work experience.

Send -
Certificates or certified copies of them.
Proof of training for the C&G level 3
A letter from the college re. the assessment for prior learning.
Proof of work experience .
Proof of the work experience from 20+ years ago if you have it.

If NZIS are not satisfied with this, they will tell you to apply for a NZQA assessment.

or

You could go direct for an NZQA assessment.

You could try the pre-assessment first.
There is a fee and an on-line form.You don't send any paperwork but you must be very precise about the information you put on the on-line form.

NZQA will either email you back with an equivalent NZQA level for your husbands quals, or they will say they cannot assess on the info. given and suggest you go for the full assessment .

If NZQA come back to you with a level, then you submit that to NZIS along with all on the above list.

With the full assessment , you send in all your paperwork . That is everything relating to your husbands C&G3. The list would be as above. They would then come back to you with an equivalent NZQA level after carrying out checks. Again , you send that along with all on the above list.

If it were me, and it is not, I would spend a little dosh on the middle route and get an on-line NZQA pre-assessment . This way you hedge your bets.
Hi bev, i spoke to you earlier this year and you were very helpful.
You may remember that we were the family men mainly in construction.
My husband crane driver, My son is a qualified plumber but at moment he is working at the crane company and is a banksman/coordinator . he is 21 in july 2008 so im hoping thats not going to affect him if we get out . theres my daughter she is 18 now and in a good job in administration for a wills and trust place and she has diplomas in office proceedures i.e data bases spreadsheets etc. Her boyfriend is a qualified scaffolder and is 23 and obviously he has had to send off his own form to the immigration consultants. Then little old me , mum .
Hope we get in ive done lots of research on areas etc.
will also need to get our dog out there if we are approved.
sasha 1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.