Help needed to apply for EOI

Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:05 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Help needed to apply for EOI

Please can someone help me?

My Husband's partner in business wanted to go to Australia, but unfortunately he is 45 years old ( Too old ). He is a qualified plumber, with 23 years experience. He has his City and Guilds.

He has now decided that he would like to move to New Zealand instead. I have done a points test for him, which came out of 115.

Please could someone give me the low down of the pros and cons for him getting a Invitation to apply in New Zealand. I know you only need 100points.

Your help and advise would be great!

Many thanks
Julie
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help needed to apply for EOI

I was told they were not even looking at EOIs with less than 140 points (without a job offer) now... My husband is a carpenter with his C&G and we managed to tot up 125 points but don´t want to waste our application if it is not going to be chosen and then sit in the pool until the 6 months is up and then rejected.

Hopefully someone else can give you some more (positive) advice but that is what I was told on here. Not good news.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:58 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danemad View Post
I was told they were not even looking at EOIs with less than 140 points (without a job offer) now... My husband is a carpenter with his C&G and we managed to tot up 125 points but don´t want to waste our application if it is not going to be chosen and then sit in the pool until the 6 months is up and then rejected.

Hopefully someone else can give you some more (positive) advice but that is what I was told on here. Not good news.

You need a minimum of 100 points to submit your EOI (Expression of Interest). Costs £100

At the moment if you have 140 or more you are automatically selected
If you have between 100 & 140 with a job offer or work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage you should be selected
If you have between 100 -140 you may be selected, and can remain in the pool for up to 6 months.

Once your EOI has been selected from the pool, NZIS do some preliminary checks on your application and may send you an ITA (Invitation to Apply) Cost £525

Have you looked at this?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...vepermanently/
Old Jan 25th 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah View Post
You need a minimum of 100 points to submit your EOI (Expression of Interest). Costs £100

At the moment if you have 140 or more you are automatically selected
If you have between 100 & 140 with a job offer or work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage you should be selected
If you have between 100 -140 you may be selected, and can remain in the pool for up to 6 months.

Once your EOI has been selected from the pool, NZIS do some preliminary checks on your application and may send you an ITA (Invitation to Apply) Cost £525

Have you looked at this?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...vepermanently/
I can understand his probs. re OZ we had similar problem cos of age!
If the plumbing is on NZ skills wanted list he has a chance.

We had 110 points (hubby is over 45, he's an electronics engineer, and was selected quickly.
Make sure he has plenty of back up paperwork to support his claim of qualifications and years of work experience.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 1:33 pm
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helinuk View Post
I can understand his probs. re OZ we had similar problem cos of age!
If the plumbing is on NZ skills wanted list he has a chance.

We had 110 points (hubby is over 45, he's an electronics engineer, and was selected quickly.
Make sure he has plenty of back up paperwork to support his claim of qualifications and years of work experience.

He has got a lot of work experience and hopefully should be ok for him. It's just a shame he can't join us in Oz

Many thanks for that.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

My problem is that DP doesn´t have his C&G cert from 1988 as the joinery he worked for hanged it on their wall and he forgot to get it when he left! I have applied for new one.. hope they can oblige! He is a bit vague as to the date he qualified etc. Duh. Also, he has been self employed most of his life so hardly any pay slips or refs from companies. Who said it would be easy.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 3:14 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danemad View Post
My problem is that DP doesn´t have his C&G cert from 1988 as the joinery he worked for hanged it on their wall and he forgot to get it when he left! I have applied for new one.. hope they can oblige! He is a bit vague as to the date he qualified etc. Duh. Also, he has been self employed most of his life so hardly any pay slips or refs from companies. Who said it would be easy.

Proof from accountant, Companies House & references from clients should be useful if that's the case.

HTH
Sarah
Old Jan 25th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

(ejem) he has diddly squat from before he met me and I put him on the straight and narrow! (8 yrs ago). Not a pay slip and not a reference and definitely no accountant!!!! lol. We have a few payslips and a year or two from the accountant max for the last 7 yrs. Groan... there seems to be problems with each bit so far... the medical... extra police report cos of being in Spain... letter from Solicitor cos my daughter is mine and ex husbands.... is someone telling us something? lol
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie hilton View Post
Please can someone help me?

My Husband's partner in business wanted to go to Australia, but unfortunately he is 45 years old ( Too old ). He is a qualified plumber, with 23 years experience. He has his City and Guilds.

He has now decided that he would like to move to New Zealand instead. I have done a points test for him, which came out of 115.

Please could someone give me the low down of the pros and cons for him getting a Invitation to apply in New Zealand. I know you only need 100points.

Your help and advise would be great!

Many thanks
Julie

Hi Julie. I did reply to your above post when it was on another thread. I will re-post the reply here in case you didn't see it.
Just hope its helpful in some way.

--------
1st Feb 07
Hi there Julie Hilton.

abbreviations:-
EOI - expression of interest
ITA - Invitation to Apply
PR - permanent residency
WTR - work to residency

We emigrated over 2 1/2 years ago to NZ , so my knowledge of the system will be a little rusty. Others may be better able to advise.

The MINIMUM points required to even put in an Expression of Interest - EOI to live and work in New Zealand is 100 I believe.

All the expressions of interest are put into a Pool and NZIS go through them to select which ones will be invited to apply . Only so many are chosen each month. ITA. Of course there is a pecking order.

I think that if an EOI has 140 points or more ,then it will be automatically selected and an ITA sent

If under 140 points then various preferred criteria kick in for the remaining EOIs left in the pool.

For those EOI with under 140 points - then the ones that have an NZ job offer attached will be selected as next in line. They will be chosen in points order [ highest first of course ] until the quota for the month is filled up.

After that the remaining EOIs which have no job offer and under 140 points will be sifted through to find what NZIS consider to be the best of the remaining EOIs in that months pool.
They may select those with degrees first - or perhaps those with trade skills.
Age and experience will be a factor. I would suspect it will still be in points order. The order of the criteria for the remaining EOIs is not set in stone.

There is another category - Work to Residence. This may be offered if the EOI is selected. It gives a set amount of time to fulfill criteria set by NZIS in order for a Permanent Residence visa/permit to be issued.

The EOI may remain in the pool for six months = six chances.

There are many people who have been selected without job offers and with EOIs which have points below 140.
Some are offered PR . Some are offered WTR

If your husbands partner wishes to chance his arm , then he should simply put in the EOI and hope that he is selected within the next 6 months. He has his trade qualifications and work experience in his favour. His skill is on the shortages list. If selected , he could state to NZIS that he intends to continue within his trade and can work at that trade under a PGDB limited licence.

With a job offer, he would greatly increase his chances of being selected.
As you know, plumbers are on the shortages list here. He could choose to come on a reccy & hope to gain a job offer. My husband did this and came away with several job offers. He was 44 at the time.
The downside is that you then have to move quite quickly in order to fulfill the obligation to the prospective NZ employer. In the end , my husbands employers waited nearly six months . Many may not wish to do that.
As we all know , such small matters as selling houses etc. can get in the way of a speedy UK exit. We ended up spending two months apart.

If he is serious about working and living in NZ then my suggestion - and it is only my personal opinion - is that he put in an EOI at the 115 points. If he is not selected within 2/3 months, then he should seriously consider trying to up his points by obtaining a job offer within his trade.

Some people visit NZ on the 6 month visitors visa. Like it . Want to stay. Find jobs and then apply for PR .

Whatever he chooses to do - good luck to him - and if he does come to plumb in NZ get back in touch for info. about all the poxy exams.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Amber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really nice

I'm afraid I only have gloomy news too...but your situation is different from mine, so you may be better off.

If you have years of work experience in a shortage area, you can claim points for it. If you have a qualification in the shortage area, _unless you have a job offer in that field you cannot get points for it_. eg. I have a post-grad teaching qual and years of teaching experience - the experience counts but the post-grad does NOT because I am not planning to teach over there.

My points are at 110, including work exp in a shortage area, but I have been bobbing in the pool since November and think it was a waste. I am applying for jobs when I can find them, and sending out CVs on spec.

By May my EOI will have been kicked out and I can reapply as a spouse of a Kiwi (we had not been co-habiting quite long enough before - and i hoped my quals would be enough). Rather an expensive lesson though!

Also for those getting quals assessed by NZQA - unless it is really vital, think twice. I had thought that a post-grad degree would add points, but it is counted the same as my undergrad - I suspect BTEC quals might result in the same thing (ie being assessed as less than what they actually are) which would be a shame!

That vicious circle: hard to get a job offer unless you're actually on the scene to go to interviews and already have the visa; hard to get a visa without a job offer! I think the job offer is the key...

I don't mean to be a downer (maybe I am just having a mardy because I am still swimming) - but just want to help people get the most points they can muster before submitting that EOI!

Best of luck.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:29 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amber and Chris View Post
I'm afraid I only have gloomy news too...but your situation is different from mine, so you may be better off.

If you have years of work experience in a shortage area, you can claim points for it. If you have a qualification in the shortage area, _unless you have a job offer in that field you cannot get points for it_. eg. I have a post-grad teaching qual and years of teaching experience - the experience counts but the post-grad does NOT because I am not planning to teach over there.

My points are at 110, including work exp in a shortage area, but I have been bobbing in the pool since November and think it was a waste. I am applying for jobs when I can find them, and sending out CVs on spec.

By May my EOI will have been kicked out and I can reapply as a spouse of a Kiwi (we had not been co-habiting quite long enough before - and i hoped my quals would be enough). Rather an expensive lesson though!

Also for those getting quals assessed by NZQA - unless it is really vital, think twice. I had thought that a post-grad degree would add points, but it is counted the same as my undergrad - I suspect BTEC quals might result in the same thing (ie being assessed as less than what they actually are) which would be a shame!

That vicious circle: hard to get a job offer unless you're actually on the scene to go to interviews and already have the visa; hard to get a visa without a job offer! I think the job offer is the key...

I don't mean to be a downer (maybe I am just having a mardy because I am still swimming) - but just want to help people get the most points they can muster before submitting that EOI!

Best of luck.
Sorry to hear you're still in the pool

If you don't mind me asking; if you're not intending to teach in NZ, what are you going to do???

Would you not consider continuing with the teaching for a year or 2 to assist you with your entry? Certainly no shortage of job opportunities for teachers from what I've seen on here
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Amber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really nice

Actually, these days I am manager of a children's bookstore and am hoping to move within the publishing/bookselling industry. It would be nice (though maybe a pipe dream) to make a career move within my field rather than take something just to "get in" that doesn't help me career-wise - and might not be best for the school either: "well, it's just a easy way to get a visa, and then I'm out of here...Oh, yes, I AM definitely committed to the teaching profession..." !
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:08 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amber and Chris View Post

Best of luck.
If you want to take the risk..............

Come here on a visitors visa, put yourself on the job market (actually being here, is 9/10ths of the battle to get a job offer), apply for a 2 yr work permit. Then apply for PR after one year of your work permit being issued, as you have 110 points, but already in Skilled employment in NZ, it's should be plain sailing.

That exactly how we did it (just remember to bring all your paperwork!).
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for helpful comments. Nerve-wracking to go "on holiday" while actually intending to get work? Is there anyone who's been caught out? If I am going with my Kiwi spouse, would he need to go as a "holiday" too for airport immigration purposes? Cos wouldn't it be suspicious if he has a one-way ticket and a place to study at U Vic and I'm "on holiday" for a few weeks with him?

Ohhh - not sure I can do it! But I hadn't heard of work to residence visa before - just thought there was the one way to do it.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:01 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

If your OH is a Kiwi, he going to go through the "no questions asked" immigration gate open to NZ passport holders and residency holders.

You, however will have to wait up to 2 hrs in the visitors queue (if you arriving in Auckland) to see a (very bored) immigration official. As long as you have a return ticket, answer any questions as simply as possible (clutching a NZ lonely planet), you will be issued with a six month visitors visa, which you can extend for a further three months.

It's not that never racking! Its not like trying to smuggle yourself out of North Korea. If you have a return ticket, a credit card and if you just say you are here to travel around etc you will be fine.

Any mention of kiwi boyfriend, will invite a host of awkward questions! Just don't arrive with 100kgs excess luggage, either!