help needed

Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Bela Rathod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help needed

Hi,
I am Bela Rathod from India.this is my first post. I am computer engineer and working in computer technical support from last 3.10 yrs. According to EOI point indicator (immigration.govt.nz) i get 135 points without job offer. (Mine and my wife's work experience and qualification come under long term skill shortage list).
i want to apply for EOI in march. what is possibility for success without job offer

Thanks in Advance.

Bela
Old Feb 8th 2008, 5:47 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help needed

Originally Posted by Bela Rathod View Post
Hi,
I am Bela Rathod from India.this is my first post. I am computer engineer and working in computer technical support from last 3.10 yrs. According to EOI point indicator (immigration.govt.nz) i get 135 points without job offer. (Mine and my wife's work experience and qualification come under long term skill shortage list).
i want to apply for EOI in march. what is possibility for success without job offer

Thanks in Advance.

Bela
Hi Bela, welcome to BE!

OK being in IT (do you have a BSc in Computer Science? That always helps) you're on the Long Term Skills Shortage List (LTSSL - get used to acronyms!) and 135 points without a job offer is great. The chances are probably quite high that you'll be selected, but they'd be even better with a job offer, as I'm sure you know.

What is stopping you putting in your EOI sooner than March? I'd be tempted to say to just go for it.

Do you have any areas in mind to move to?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:48 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My occupation is also on the LTSSL, applied with 130 points, no job offer and was selected at the next draw. First chosen are those with >140 pts, then those over 100pts with a job offer and then those with work experience in an area of skills shortage. If you look back at the past draws on the NZIS website you'll see that these categories are picked most draws so you should be ok and selected pretty fast.

It's then that takes the time - I was selected on the 5th December and still waiting for an Invitation to Apply. Even then it can take up to 7 months to get residency once they receive your ITA [if you have no job offer, should be quicker if you have one] :curse:
These are the times from the London office though so may be different if in India [ check under local branches on NZIS site]

You can see from the above that you may as well send in the EOI asap, why wait till March? It's not like you'll have to rush through anything once selected.

Good luck
Sue
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks Maz and Sue for your quick response. my IELTS preparation is on the way and i am planing to give it in march so after that i can apply for EOI(i will easily get 6.5 band).
is it right that applicant without job offer and having less than 140 points get work to residency visa rather than residence visa?

Maz, i am B.E computer (it's a 4 year graduate engineering degree).
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:57 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

is it right that applicant without job offer and having less than 140 points get work to residency visa rather than residence visa?
No, that's not correct.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

swiftangelus is a jewel in the roughswiftangelus is a jewel in the roughswiftangelus is a jewel in the roughswiftangelus is a jewel in the roughswiftangelus is a jewel in the rough

Hello all,

I have a query, I have been in IT support for about 10 years currently just starting in consultancy. I do not have a degree in computer science but do have a BSc in Psychology. My wife also has a BA Degree. On the points indicator I said we both have a degree but no job offer and also that my career is over 6 years in a skilled shortage area. Did I answer correctly for an IT Skilled migrant? It gave me 140 points which was unexpected.

If so does that mean that you do not need a degree in computer science for IT? The pages I have read seem to suggest you do and also need 3 years xperience.

Your advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:42 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I can't say for sure, but you may not get the points as they are looking for work experience that is relevant to your degree. I've read on here of IT hotshots getting knocked back because their degree wasn't a BSc in Computer Science.

You may want to come here and get an IT job offer first. Then you would be more likely to be successful in securing permanent residency.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

my IELTS preparation is on the way and i am planing to give it in march so after that i can apply for EOI(i will easily get 6.5 band).

I am B.E computer (it's a 4 year graduate engineering degree).
Very wise to have your IELTS papers ready.

Exactly what degree do you and your partner have please?

Are they from one of the listed universities?

You can check by going to THIS LINK
Looking on the right hand side at Toolbox and selecting the last option.
Scroll through the listing until you come to India and look for your Uni.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 3:08 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. I got a regular work permit (faster than WTR) once I was already over here and had a job offer. Then I popped the EOI in on the day I started work and got selected 2 days later. Currently awaiting the call / e-mail to say PR has been granted.

Maz, i am B.E computer (it's a 4 year graduate engineering degree).
Cool. Check Bev's link that she posted to see if your uni is on the list.

Originally Posted by swiftangelus View Post
Hello all,

I have a query, I have been in IT support for about 10 years currently just starting in consultancy. I do not have a degree in computer science but do have a BSc in Psychology. My wife also has a BA Degree. On the points indicator I said we both have a degree but no job offer and also that my career is over 6 years in a skilled shortage area. Did I answer correctly for an IT Skilled migrant? It gave me 140 points which was unexpected.

If so does that mean that you do not need a degree in computer science for IT? The pages I have read seem to suggest you do and also need 3 years xperience.

Thanks
I do not have a BSc in anything computer-related and am currently awaiting PR being granted. I have 8+ years work experience in IT, that always helps with the points. Good luck!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
i have check the link, i am bechalor of engineering in computer.my university is not included in this list but my wife's qualification is included in group B list.she done Master in physiotherapy.
so as per it i need to do my qualification assessment by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority.should i need to do it before applynig for expression of intreast?

Thanks,
Bela Rathod.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 5:21 pm

Hi,
so as per it i need to do my qualification assessment by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. should i need to do it before applying for expression of interest?

Thanks,
Bela Rathod.
Yes, if you are serious about immigrating to New Zealand you should go ahead and get the NZQA process going. It can take awhile and it would be frustrating to have all your other documents ready and be stymied by the lack of your NZQA assessment.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:18 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Thanks
G???? Aren't you supposed to be working?

(May want to start up a new thread of your own as you'll get more hits probably - and you in IT!) T x

Last edited by Tan0410; Feb 11th 2008 at 5:40 am.