British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Help with my son's visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/help-my-sons-visa-793385/)

trafford Apr 8th 2013 10:42 pm

Help with my son's visa

I am hoping someone can help with information about my son's prospective visa. I have an IRRV - my family emigrated from the UK to NZ way back in 1977 when I was a small child - but I never bothered to get NZ citizenship before a quick visit to the UK in 1997 turned into a 16 year stint. This has created a bit of a problem as while my two daughters were born in NZ, and therefore have NZ citizenship, my son was born here in the UK. Am I correct that we can only apply for residency for him (dependent child as he is 15) when we are already living permanently in NZ? So what will happen when we try to enrol him in school? Will we be charged international student fees as he will not have any visa? Do schools allow a period of grace while awaiting a visa, and how long might the visa process take?

MrsFychan Apr 8th 2013 10:58 pm

Re: Help with my son's visa

I can only answer on the school thing. We spoke to the Head at the school we wished our children to attend but we had not got our visa's in the passports. She called the appropriate authority and was told as long as we could produce evidence that the visas had been approved then they would give us 2 weeks to submit the copies of the children's passport with the visas in.
As I was told that she had to get permission to allow us to do this then if you don't have the evidence of the visa's going into the passports then you will have to pay International Studies fees.

I don't know anything about IRRV and looking on Immigration website couldn't come up with anything helpful but it might be different with whatever visa you will have when you come.

trafford Apr 8th 2013 11:17 pm

Thank you MrsFychan. I had hoped that they had a "period of grace", so your reply was welcome. Did the headteacher want to see your visas or your children's visas (or both)? I have my Indefinite Returning Residents Visa in my passport - would that be enough do you think? Actually, I have just this minute had a reply from one school that has stated that since I have permanent residency, my son would be enrolled as a domestic student. That seems to solve the problem???

Persephone Apr 8th 2013 11:22 pm

The terminology for resident visas has changed. IRRVs and residence permits are no longer issued but the equivalent is the Permanent Resident Visa [PRV]. You will be issued a PRV when your passport expires and you seek to renew your NZ visa.
You do not need to do anything until that point as an IRRV is deemed to be a PRV.
Essentially the two are exactly the same. You do not get issued a residence permit on arrival anymore, just a date of entry stamp.

Funny, I looked this up for another poster today-must be move your child to NZ day:D
It does look like you need to actually be in NZ to get a resident visa issued for your child.
I found this under temporary entry:

Dependent children of New Zealand citizens and residents

Dependent children can be granted visitor visas if their parent will be in New Zealand for the same length of time and supports the children’s application. If a child is travelling alone or with one parent we may need proof of their right to leave their home country, such as custody or guardianship papers. We may allow dependent children to stay for up to 2 years.
Good thing too, looking at this:

Family Partnership and Dependent Child applications (under Family Category) will be processed before other categories. We expect to allocate your Family Category application for residence (under these criteria) to a case officer within six to nine months of acceptance of your application.
This is Auckland's processing time. Have a look on the NZIS website under 'contact us', click on the specific branch and then 'processing times'
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...alvisitors.htm

Someone must have been through this to help out a little bit more than I can!

trafford Apr 8th 2013 11:31 pm

6 to 9 months!!!! You would hope like h**l that the school allowed the children to be enrolled as domestic students - otherwise it would be an expensive business paying international school fees for that length of time, and that might deter some kiwis who wish to return with foreign born children. One the one hand it says "processed before other categories", but then states the long time frame. It seems contradictory???

Persephone Apr 8th 2013 11:37 pm

I think it means all other family categories but yeah it's a long time. Parent category says 18-24 months just for a case officer to be allocated.
Hope you're not stuck with international fees for that time:eek: Surely not, as that would be a major disincentive to returning NZers and residents.

I don't know which branch you'll be applying to but that was just Auckland; though I suspect things will be much the same wherever you're going...

Persephone Apr 8th 2013 11:52 pm

Forgot study visas existed: looks like this is what you need

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...iningmyfamily/

There are also some circumstances where partners and dependent children are considered to be domestic students for the purpose of student fee payment. Some of these are listed below. For a complete list go to the Ministry of Education's website.

5.Parent1 is a NZ citizen or resident and student has applied for residence visa

Student Verification Documents:
Either: Valid Student Visa with Conditions containing “Domestic Student’
Or: •Valid Student Visa; and
•Evidence that the parent is a NZ citizen (see 1. New Zealand Citizen in Appendix B) or resident (see 2. New Zealand or Australian resident in Appendix B); and
•Letter from Immigration NZ confirming student’s current application for residence is under consideration; and
•Evidence of the family relationship2
Visa domestic

MrsFychan Apr 9th 2013 12:38 am

Originally Posted by trafford (Post 10647890)
Thank you MrsFychan. I had hoped that they had a "period of grace", so your reply was welcome. Did the headteacher want to see your visas or your children's visas (or both)? I have my Indefinite Returning Residents Visa in my passport - would that be enough do you think? Actually, I have just this minute had a reply from one school that has stated that since I have permanent residency, my son would be enrolled as a domestic student. That seems to solve the problem???

we provided them with the confirmation letter that we had been accepted and that the case was being transferred to Wellington office (we started our PR whilst still in the UK) for the stamps to go into the passports.

I see that you have no real time frame to return so its good you've started to look at this now before time frames are short.

MrsFychan Apr 9th 2013 12:47 am

You could try emailing them

[email protected] (london)

New Zealand ones don't seem to have email addresses listed

so Auckland Fax no: +64 9 914 4118

and see what they say, least that way you have it in black and white

trafford Apr 9th 2013 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10648015)
You could try emailing them

[email protected] (london)

New Zealand ones don't seem to have email addresses listed

so Auckland Fax no: +64 9 914 4118

and see what they say, least that way you have it in black and white

Thank you!!!:starsmile: I have just emailed them. I will update on their reply.