British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Help! A little confused re: when best to apply for jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/help-little-confused-re-when-best-apply-jobs-540787/)

TheNaylors Jun 3rd 2008 10:14 am

Help! A little confused re: when best to apply for jobs

Hi Everyone,

We have been considering the move for over 4 years now and have just literally started the actual process and will soon be submitting our EOI. My hubby & I are both Marine Biologists and have been told that we should have no problem getting the PR visa for NZ, however having a job lined up would be beneficial. When we have looked around and enquired, many employers state that we have to be eligible to work in NZ by the time of the closing date of the job vacancy- are you only eligible when granted ITA and application has been successful? :confused:

I don't know whether I am just being a little thick but it sounds like it is a bit of a catch 22, can't get a job until we have a visa but obviously more chance of a visa with a job- perhaps we just haven't found the right employer yet!!!

Can anyone help clarify? Would really appreciate any advice,:huh:

Thanks,
Julie x

newkiwi Jun 3rd 2008 10:19 am

Re: Help! A little confused re: when best to apply for jobs

Originally Posted by TheNaylors (Post 6429058)
Hi Everyone,

We have been considering the move for over 4 years now and have just literally started the actual process and will soon be submitting our EOI. My hubby & I are both Marine Biologists and have been told that we should have no problem getting the PR visa for NZ, however having a job lined up would be beneficial. When we have looked around and enquired, many employers state that we have to be eligible to work in NZ by the time of the closing date of the job vacancy- are you only eligible when granted ITA and application has been successful? :confused:

I don't know whether I am just being a little thick but it sounds like it is a bit of a catch 22, can't get a job until we have a visa but obviously more chance of a visa with a job- perhaps we just haven't found the right employer yet!!!

Can anyone help clarify? Would really appreciate any advice,:huh:

Thanks,
Julie x

yep it is a catch22...
if your skills are in demand you can apply in anticipation of getting your PR approved. I would say you need to state the fact that you have applied for PR and give an indication of likely timeframe for approval and your move in your covering letter and also at the top of your CV.
More than 3 or 4 months out would probably limit your chances imo.
be as specific as you can, employers dont want to see "looking to move to Nz sometime in the next 6 months", say "applied for Pr through Skilled migrant route, visa grant expected in August 2008" or something like that.

best of luck, its tricky

iow_bird Jun 3rd 2008 5:17 pm

hi
We had the same problem last year, I had 3 job offers, but each one had a different problem. We ended up loosing a lot of money as we had to have medicals done privately for the 1st job offer, then they changed the offer and we had to apply for work permits instead so I had to turn it down as I wouldn't have been able to be in New Zealand in time. The medicals only lasted 3 months and they ran out a couple of days before the last offer was made. It was a nightmare.

Having taken a bit of time to regroup, we're giving it another go, this time my OH is looking for work before we go, then we'll both be able to work and live in new zealand on a work permit. Then I'll (hopefully) get a job in Radiography and we can submit our permanent residency application under my job (his doesn't qualify).

It seems a bit long winded, but it seems to be working better this time. Other half is on his way out to NZ in a couple of weeks for job interviews. Worried about losing money again if he doesn't get a job, but there's no gain without risk I guess!!

Maybe you could apply for jobs and get a work permit (they have much quicker processing times) so you can move quickly. If you meet the cirtera then you can go out on a working holiday visa, and if you find a job in the right area you can apply for residency when you're there. (if a job doesn't come through this time we're off on a working holiday visa at the end of August.

Hope that helps a bit
xxx

TheNaylors Jun 5th 2008 9:49 am

Thanks for your help & advice guys. Will be sure to give potential employers a timeframe to go on!