Help with EOI

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help with EOI

Can anyone out there help with a qualifications/EOI question?

I have many years IT experience (18+) but don't have a degree only an HNC. Would it really be worth my while to submit an EOI without a job offer?

Steve
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:11 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with EOI

How many points do you have without a job offer?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz View Post
How many points do you have without a job offer?

Good question...

Depending upon which calculator you use up to 105.

It's hard to tell though as I've heard people say that on the EOI itself they have scored fewer points that on non-EOI calculators and I don't want to part with good money just for the sake if it - hence the question.

Steve
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:03 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,

I completely sympathise with your position, I was in the same a year ago. I have a B.A.(Hons) but it's not to do with computing. I now have 9 years' experience in IT (app dev). I didn't have enough points for a successful EOI (115 with no job offer) but we were already over here for a recce and I didn't know we'd got un-selected from the pool ( ).

I continued with my job hunt after our return from our recce, however I was beginning to think that we'd have to come over as visitors without a job offer, and take our chances. (something I really did not want to do!) We came back from our recce at the end of April 2007 and I got the word from my former employer that I was going to get made redundant pretty much the day I got back!

As luck would have it, I applied to an (accredited) employer who interviewed me four times, and offered me a job without meeting me. I'm still at this employer and love it to bits here!

We came over as visitors and got work/student permits when we got here, and are in line to get PR pretty soon.

There is hope... though it might take a great leap of faith.

Best of luck to you!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Hi Steve,

I completely sympathise with your position, I was in the same a year ago. I have a B.A.(Hons) but it's not to do with computing. I now have 9 years' experience in IT (app dev). I didn't have enough points for a successful EOI (115 with no job offer) but we were already over here for a recce and I didn't know we'd got un-selected from the pool ( ).

I continued with my job hunt after our return from our recce, however I was beginning to think that we'd have to come over as visitors without a job offer, and take our chances. (something I really did not want to do!) We came back from our recce at the end of April 2007 and I got the word from my former employer that I was going to get made redundant pretty much the day I got back!

As luck would have it, I applied to an (accredited) employer who interviewed me four times, and offered me a job without meeting me. I'm still at this employer and love it to bits here!

We came over as visitors and got work/student permits when we got here, and are in line to get PR pretty soon.

There is hope... though it might take a great leap of faith.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for this Maz.
Best of luck to you too.

Did you have to part with cash for the un-sucessful EOI?

What form of apps development are you doing?

Steve
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:11 pm
It might take a while!

Marjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones View Post
Good question...

It's hard to tell though as I've heard people say that on the EOI itself they have scored fewer points that on non-EOI calculators and I don't want to part with good money just for the sake if it - hence the question.

Steve
Hi Steve

You can fill out the online EOI and add the NZQA reference later if it is applicable.
NZQA took 6 months to get back to me by the way. It says not to call but I did after 6 months and got the assessment back in less than a week.

It doesn't cost anything to register on the NZIS site to fill out the online EOI, it only costs when you finally submit. I had my EOI uncompleted for 9 months online.
Hope that helps

Good luck

Martin
Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marjol View Post
Hi Steve

You can fill out the online EOI and add the NZQA reference later if it is applicable.
NZQA took 6 months to get back to me by the way. It says not to call but I did after 6 months and got the assessment back in less than a week.

It doesn't cost anything to register on the NZIS site to fill out the online EOI, it only costs when you finally submit. I had my EOI uncompleted for 9 months online.
Hope that helps

Good luck

Martin

Hello Martin,

I mis-understood. I thought you had to pay up-front.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Steve
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

roshandden is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Help with EOI

just a note ,when we submitted our EOI in january we had to pay on submitting the EOI it cost us 400 NZ dollars which was paid by cred card and we just got billed 160 Quid
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:49 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Hello Martin,

I mis-understood. I thought you had to pay up-front.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Steve
YOu do pay 'up-front' when you submit the EOI - but . . . you can work on the EOI on the website at your leisure - ours is 90% done (need a few more details from hubby who is away at the mo) and still hoping for a job offer (probably not until June/July) so it is just sitting there waiting. ONce you press that submit button you pay. Hope that helps.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:51 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Good question...

Steve
When you fill in the EOI it adds up your score as it goes along so you know how many points you have before you hit the submit button.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:06 am
Maz

Thanks for this Maz.
Best of luck to you too.

Did you have to part with cash for the un-sucessful EOI?

What form of apps development are you doing?

Steve
You don't have to part with any cash until you choose to submit the EOI, and you can't submit it unless all required sections are filled in. It costs NZ$400 to submit an EOI.

I'll send you a PM about the type of dev work I do.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone out there help with a qualifications/EOI question?

I have many years IT experience (18+) but don't have a degree only an HNC. Would it really be worth my while to submit an EOI without a job offer?

Steve
Hi Steve,

I've only got a HNC in business information systems and that got me 50pts towards my total, although I went the WTR route in the end...

Simon