British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Help with EOI (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/help-eoi-516614/)

Stephen Jones Feb 23rd 2008 4:43 pm

Help with EOI

Can anyone out there help with a qualifications/EOI question?

I have many years IT experience (18+) but don't have a degree only an HNC. Would it really be worth my while to submit an EOI without a job offer?

Steve

Maz Feb 23rd 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Help with EOI

How many points do you have without a job offer?

Stephen Jones Feb 25th 2008 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5974246)
How many points do you have without a job offer?

Good question...

Depending upon which calculator you use up to 105.

It's hard to tell though as I've heard people say that on the EOI itself they have scored fewer points that on non-EOI calculators and I don't want to part with good money just for the sake if it - hence the question.

Steve

Maz Feb 25th 2008 10:03 am

Hi Steve,

I completely sympathise with your position, I was in the same a year ago. I have a B.A.(Hons) but it's not to do with computing. I now have 9 years' experience in IT (app dev). I didn't have enough points for a successful EOI (115 with no job offer) but we were already over here for a recce and I didn't know we'd got un-selected from the pool ( :( ).

I continued with my job hunt after our return from our recce, however I was beginning to think that we'd have to come over as visitors without a job offer, and take our chances. :eek: :eek: (something I really did not want to do!) We came back from our recce at the end of April 2007 and I got the word from my former employer that I was going to get made redundant pretty much the day I got back!

As luck would have it, I applied to an (accredited) employer who interviewed me four times, and offered me a job without meeting me. I'm still at this employer and love it to bits here!

We came over as visitors and got work/student permits when we got here, and are in line to get PR pretty soon. :thumbup:

There is hope... though it might take a great leap of faith.

Best of luck to you!

Stephen Jones Feb 25th 2008 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5980427)
Hi Steve,

I completely sympathise with your position, I was in the same a year ago. I have a B.A.(Hons) but it's not to do with computing. I now have 9 years' experience in IT (app dev). I didn't have enough points for a successful EOI (115 with no job offer) but we were already over here for a recce and I didn't know we'd got un-selected from the pool ( :( ).

I continued with my job hunt after our return from our recce, however I was beginning to think that we'd have to come over as visitors without a job offer, and take our chances. :eek: :eek: (something I really did not want to do!) We came back from our recce at the end of April 2007 and I got the word from my former employer that I was going to get made redundant pretty much the day I got back!

As luck would have it, I applied to an (accredited) employer who interviewed me four times, and offered me a job without meeting me. I'm still at this employer and love it to bits here!

We came over as visitors and got work/student permits when we got here, and are in line to get PR pretty soon. :thumbup:

There is hope... though it might take a great leap of faith.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for this Maz.
Best of luck to you too.

Did you have to part with cash for the un-sucessful EOI?

What form of apps development are you doing?

Steve

Marjol Feb 25th 2008 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 5980067)
Good question...

It's hard to tell though as I've heard people say that on the EOI itself they have scored fewer points that on non-EOI calculators and I don't want to part with good money just for the sake if it - hence the question.

Steve

Hi Steve

You can fill out the online EOI and add the NZQA reference later if it is applicable.
NZQA took 6 months to get back to me by the way. It says not to call but I did after 6 months and got the assessment back in less than a week.

It doesn't cost anything to register on the NZIS site to fill out the online EOI, it only costs when you finally submit. I had my EOI uncompleted for 9 months online.
Hope that helps

Good luck

Martin

Stephen Jones Feb 25th 2008 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Marjol (Post 5981325)
Hi Steve

You can fill out the online EOI and add the NZQA reference later if it is applicable.
NZQA took 6 months to get back to me by the way. It says not to call but I did after 6 months and got the assessment back in less than a week.

It doesn't cost anything to register on the NZIS site to fill out the online EOI, it only costs when you finally submit. I had my EOI uncompleted for 9 months online.
Hope that helps

Good luck

Martin

Hello Martin,

I mis-understood. I thought you had to pay up-front.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Steve

roshandden Feb 25th 2008 8:41 pm

just a note ,when we submitted our EOI in january we had to pay on submitting the EOI it cost us 400 NZ dollars which was paid by cred card and we just got billed 160 Quid

spid Feb 25th 2008 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 5981667)
Hello Martin,

I mis-understood. I thought you had to pay up-front.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Steve

YOu do pay 'up-front' when you submit the EOI - but . . . you can work on the EOI on the website at your leisure - ours is 90% done (need a few more details from hubby who is away at the mo) and still hoping for a job offer (probably not until June/July) so it is just sitting there waiting. ONce you press that submit button you pay. Hope that helps.

spid Feb 25th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 5980067)
Good question...

Steve

When you fill in the EOI it adds up your score as it goes along so you know how many points you have before you hit the submit button.

Maz Feb 26th 2008 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 5980693)
Thanks for this Maz.
Best of luck to you too.

Did you have to part with cash for the un-sucessful EOI?

What form of apps development are you doing?

Steve

You don't have to part with any cash until you choose to submit the EOI, and you can't submit it unless all required sections are filled in. It costs NZ$400 to submit an EOI.

I'll send you a PM about the type of dev work I do. :)

simonmarkellis Feb 26th 2008 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 5973977)
Can anyone out there help with a qualifications/EOI question?

I have many years IT experience (18+) but don't have a degree only an HNC. Would it really be worth my while to submit an EOI without a job offer?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I've only got a HNC in business information systems and that got me 50pts towards my total, although I went the WTR route in the end...

Simon