British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   HELP! anyone got teenagers? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/help-anyone-got-teenagers-528579/)

alice goodwin Apr 11th 2008 1:24 pm

HELP! anyone got teenagers?

HELP :eek: my son is 17, he's been working for a plastering firm for a year (since he left school ) How can we get him a visa ?

He's not qualified yet - but if we wait another 2 years - we'll be in same situation with 14 year old. :confused:If he applies for a "working holiday visa " could he then apply for PR from NZ while we're all living there ?

Wil not consider leaving england without him :thumbdown:

PLEASE HELP!!!! love Alice :o

newkiwi Apr 11th 2008 2:57 pm

Re: HELP! anyone got teenagers?

Originally Posted by alice goodwin (Post 6193404)
HELP :eek: my son is 17, he's been working for a plastering firm for a year (since he left school ) How can we get him a visa ?

He's not qualified yet - but if we wait another 2 years - we'll be in same situation with 14 year old. :confused:If he applies for a "working holiday visa " could he then apply for PR from NZ while we're all living there ?

Wil not consider leaving england without him :thumbdown:

PLEASE HELP!!!! love Alice :o

They both are likely to be classed as your dependents, certainly the 14 yr old is, the 17 yr old will be as long as he has no children and you can prove he is financially dependent on you. (does he still live at home?)

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/

look at what the exact requirements are. I am assuming you are applying for PR?

fall back scenario is that he applies for a WHV once he is 18, but that can become messy if he wants to stay longer than the year on the WHV. first prize will be to make sure they are both classed as dependent.

alice goodwin Apr 11th 2008 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 6193917)
They both are likely to be classed as your dependents, certainly the 14 yr old is, the 17 yr old will be as long as he has no children and you can prove he is financially dependent on you. (does he still live at home?)

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/

look at what the exact requirements are. I am assuming you are applying for PR?

fall back scenario is that he applies for a WHV once he is 18, but that can become messy if he wants to stay longer than the year on the WHV. first prize will be to make sure they are both classed as dependent.

HI newkiwi ! thanks for your reply ! He is living with us , but he earns a wage (not even minimum wage though) due to it being a modern apprentership.

I've tried to persuade him to pack it in & enroll on a full time college course - But he's used to having his own money.

He will be 18 in october - if he is at full time college - will he be classed as dependant even when he's 18 ?

Also - when i looked at points system -20 to 29 year olds get 30 points. But there's no mention of 18 & 19 year olds. Do you know how many points they get ?

This is so confusing - Don't want to fill any forms in until i'am sure which is the best way to go!!

love Alice xxx

happynz Apr 12th 2008 1:53 am

Originally Posted by alice goodwin (Post 6195310)
Also - when i looked at points system -20 to 29 year olds get 30 points. But there's no mention of 18 & 19 year olds. Do you know how many points they get ?

This is so confusing - Don't want to fill any forms in until i'am sure which is the best way to go!!

love Alice xxx

Those points are only applicable if applying on one's own merits. If your son is a dependent he won't be worth anything points-wise.

Kimi-Deacon Apr 12th 2008 8:23 am

Hi Alice Goodwin,

We included our son on our PR Visas he was 20yrs old at the time, living with us and had a part time job. All we had to do was prove he lived with us, we sent in his bank statements to prove he couldnt be independant, and a mobile phone bill to prove he lived at the same address. We got PR visas no probs, if you would like more details PM me and will fill you in with more details. Steph

newkiwi Apr 14th 2008 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by alice goodwin (Post 6195310)
HI newkiwi ! thanks for your reply ! He is living with us , but he earns a wage (not even minimum wage though) due to it being a modern apprentership.

I've tried to persuade him to pack it in & enroll on a full time college course - But he's used to having his own money.

He will be 18 in october - if he is at full time college - will he be classed as dependant even when he's 18 ?

love Alice xxx

I think as long as you can prove he is financially dependent on you its ok for him to earn a wage... especially if it is a small wage he is earning while doing an apprentership. if youre applying for PR he can be your dependent up to 24 as long as he remains financially dependent on you..

Tell him not to get anyone pregnant though !!!!

:)

alice goodwin Apr 14th 2008 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 6207553)
I think as long as you can prove he is financially dependent on you its ok for him to earn a wage... especially if it is a small wage he is earning while doing an apprentership. if youre applying for PR he can be your dependent up to 24 as long as he remains financially dependent on you..

Tell him not to get anyone pregnant though !!!!

:)

Thanks newkiwi - Info much appreciated !!!!

( He better not get anyone pregnant - I'd kill him ! & I'm not old enough to be a grandma !!! )

Love Alice xxx

Gail5 Apr 29th 2008 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by alice goodwin (Post 6207859)
Thanks newkiwi - Info much appreciated !!!!

( He better not get anyone pregnant - I'd kill him ! & I'm not old enough to be a grandma !!! )

Love Alice xxx

You made me laugh Alice!!

We have a 17 year old son too - 18 in November, (and two 15 year olds, a 10 year old and an 8 year old). He has a girlfriend and is in the 6th form studying for his 'A' levels. We're feeling the same way as you - it's such a worry. We're still trying to convince him to come with us though!! How did you talk your son round? We're still waiting to hear from NZIS if our application is succussful (he's included in our application) and we keep hoping that when we do hear he'll change his mind because he's got nobody here he can stay with and I can't leave him!! Kids eh, who'd have 'em?

Anyway, good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Love Gail x
Another mum who is too young to be a grandma!

alice goodwin May 6th 2008 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Gail5 (Post 6283501)
You made me laugh Alice!!

We have a 17 year old son too - 18 in November, (and two 15 year olds, a 10 year old and an 8 year old). He has a girlfriend and is in the 6th form studying for his 'A' levels. We're feeling the same way as you - it's such a worry. We're still trying to convince him to come with us though!! How did you talk your son round? We're still waiting to hear from NZIS if our application is succussful (he's included in our application) and we keep hoping that when we do hear he'll change his mind because he's got nobody here he can stay with and I can't leave him!! Kids eh, who'd have 'em?

Anyway, good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Love Gail x
Another mum who is too young to be a grandma!

Hi Gail - Good to know someone in the same situation !!

We didn't really have to persuade him - he's up for the challenge! He 's very much like me - jumps in feet first !

I thought we'd have more trouble with my eldest - He's 20 & a qualified electrical engineer - in a good paid job. But his boss told him to go for it ! & if he doesn't like it - He will always be wecome back to work for them . So he nows believes he's got nothing to lose!! ( He split up with his girlfriend of 2 years a few months ago - which helped )

So now I'm trying to up & move while there both single !

We've got 2 other kids a boy 14 & a girl who's 9. (If she'd been another boy we would have had another baby !)

Good luck with everything ! Love Alice xxxxx