British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Hello, Newbie Looking for some info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/hello-newbie-looking-some-info-800838/)

Murrayafc Jun 21st 2013 3:05 pm

Hello, Newbie Looking for some info

Hello

Looking for a bit of advise and think ive found the right place.:)

I've been on the immigration website but getting alot of conflicting advise.

I a scottish resident and have been since birth, Im 32 and my job is listed on the long term skills shorage list.

I've made the decision to move to NZ at the start of next

My sister is a resident there and she seems to think there will be no issues at all with me getting a VISA once over there, but I would like to have a VISA in place before I leave though.

What would be the best VISA to apply for? I see plenty about work to residence visa's but you need a job offer, and most of the job sites I see say you need a visa to apply !!!! My sister is circulating my CV over there so a job offer could be an option.

Is there any other VISA that can be granted due to having family there.?

Many Thanks for any info.

Murrayafc Jun 21st 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Hello, Newbie Looking for some info

I've searched and found the family option is a no go !!!!

Persephone Jun 21st 2013 4:13 pm

Hello and welcome to BE :)

Originally Posted by Murrayafc (Post 10768326)
Hello

Looking for a bit of advise and think ive found the right place.:)

We are usually friendly!

I've been on the immigration website but getting alot of conflicting advise.

It can be a bit of a maze but it does start to make sense after a while...
I a scottish resident and have been since birth, Im 32 and my job is listed on the long term skills shorage list.
Having a job on the LTSSL does help though it doesn't always reflect a shortage on the ground or how easy it is to get a job.

I've made the decision to move to NZ at the start of next
year???

My sister is a resident there and she seems to think there will be no issues at all with me getting a VISA once over there, but I would like to have a VISA in place before I leave though.

If at all possible it is best to have a visa before you move, that way you know for certain that you won't have problems. You may be able to get a job and visa easily, you may not. All depends on your personal circumstances. There could also be issues with you arriving as a visitor with plans to immigrate when Immigration admit you to NZ. A UK passport holder will gain entry for 6m as a visitor, you must have ticket out of NZ or you won't even leave the UK...

What would be the best VISA to apply for? I see plenty about work to residence visa's but you need a job offer, and most of the job sites I see say you need a visa to apply !!!! My sister is circulating my CV over there so a job offer could be an option.

It does seem that a lot of employers do not understand how the visa system works, hence the visa required part. It is only possible if you can gain residency via the SMC without needing a job offer-see below. You will have to educate employers as to how it works in your covering letter eg once I have a job offer, I can apply for xyz visa. I cannot apply for a visa in advance of this due to how the immigration system works.
Also, do you have a partner or are you single?

The visa options are, briefly:
Skilled Migrant Category
This is an application for residency and is points based. Currently only those with over 140 points or those with over 100pts and a job offer are being selected. So just being able to submit an EOI [the first stage] does not guarantee success. Many applicants need a job offer to get selected even if they have less than 140 pts. You get 10 points for having close family in NZ. Do the POints indicator on the website to get an idea of how many you have https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
Over 140 points is an automatic selection every fortnight [with or without job offer]

Work to Residence : A job on the LTSSL means you can apply via this stream of WTR visa. You have quite rightly realised that this is a job offer first, then apply. You are issued with a 30month work visa which can be converted to residency once you have worked for two years.

Work Visa: Temporary visa that can be of variable duration. No direct route to residency like the WTR visa. Job offer first and as your job is on the LTSSL then there would be no problems with applying for this. If you are planning on moving permanently then you could use a work visa as a temporary stopgap so you can start work [as SMC visas take much longer to issue]

I have avoided mentioning partnership visas. It would be very difficult to get residency via partnership if you came over to NZ and met someone. You wouldn't be able to fulfil the basic requirements.

Is there any other VISA that can be granted due to having family there.?

No, only partners, parents and children can apply via family categories

Many Thanks for any info.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion and helps everything seem a bit easier to grasp. Come back with any further questions and we'll try to answer.
P:)

Murrayafc Jun 21st 2013 5:24 pm

Hello

Thank you for that info, very helpfull

I thought I could initially stay 3 month on a visitor VISA but you say its 6 so thats good.

When you say I wont even leave the UK without a return ticket what do you mean by this? Would I just need to prove I had a ticket for leaving new zealand after 6 months, even if this was not a ticket back to the UK.?

Yes sorry start of next year is my plan. Hopefully I can secure this all important job offer first, I have my team new zealand working on my behalf over there just now :)

Many Thanks

Persephone Jun 21st 2013 6:56 pm

For visitors: the airline will check that you have a ticket out of NZ to a country you have a right to enter, it doesn't have to be a return. Obviously it has to be within the 6m that you will be allowed in for.
If you do not have this then you either will not be allowed onto the plane or you will have to buy a ticket at the airport. I have see a few occasions where people have been refused a boarding pass until they have bought that all important flight. The NZIS website does mention 'evidence of sufficient funds to purchase a ticket to a country which you have the right of entry' as acceptable but I wouldn't want to have to argue that out in the airport as that does not appear to be mentioned in the airlines' guidelines issued by NZIS. It is the airline that will be liable for a fine if they transport someone without the correct documentation.

You are not checked by immigration officials until you arrive in NZ.

Visitors
Visitors must have:
• travel tickets (confirmed or open) to a country they have the right
to enter (unless they have a visa that specifies that outward tickets
are not required), and
• NZ$1,000 for every month they want to stay in New Zealand (unless
they have a visa that specifies that evidence of financial support is
not required), and
• a passport valid for at least three months longer than their intended
stay or for one month if their government provides passport
services in New Zealand.
Must admit, I've never had anyone check I had funds. Flight tickets when entering as a visitor, always!

How long you can stay varies from country to country, UK is 6m, many others are 3m. The UK is a visa waiver country so no need to get a visa in advance when visiting:)

Murrayafc Jun 21st 2013 8:18 pm

hello

Thanks for that

So say I had a ticket to fly out from new zealand within the 6 months to australia say, would this be ok? or are there certain countries it would need to be.? I have no issue with funds, but dont want to argue anyting at the airport. Job offer better come this is all very uncertain..

Thanks

MrsFychan Jun 21st 2013 9:31 pm

what area are you looking to come to and what sort of work. I believe you can fly onto Australia as others have mentioned it beforehand but what would you do there?

Murrayafc Jun 22nd 2013 10:53 am

Hello

I will be coming to the auckland area, staying at muriwai. Im in the IT/Telecomms industry.

Persephone Jun 23rd 2013 7:18 pm

IT people seem to get jobs fairly easily from what I can see.

Others have mentioned having a refundable ticket to Australia or return as an option. They cost more but obviously the hope is that you can get it refunded!. The regulations say it has to be a country that you have the right to travel to, you'll probably get an ETA to enter Australia with the ticket.

The only issue will be if you haven't got a job and visa allowing you to work when it comes to the 6m stage. You go to Aus but then may not be allowed entry back into NZ. You are only allowed to stay 6m in any 12m period on the waiver. If you want to stay longer then you would have to apply for a visitor visa and have a legitimate reason to stay-to have more time to look for work is probably not classed as legitimate
P:)