British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Having to pay a 'bond'? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/having-pay-bond-533850/)

newtothis May 2nd 2008 2:01 pm

Having to pay a 'bond'?

Just looking on the internet at customs/shipping etc & found this...

New Immigrant
If you are a new immigrant to New Zealand, and do not yet have permanent residence, you can still bring in your personal effects. However, Customs will require you to pay a bond, this bond is fully refundable and is placed in an interest bearing account for six months. After this time the bond is still recoverable, however it will no longer be gaining interest. Once you have got your permanent residence, then you can take your receipt to Customs with your passport and retrieve your bond

Anyone know if this is true? We are entering on work visa & been told we can't apply for PR for a 2 years. If it is the case, don't much fancy them having my money for 2 years! And how much do they want??!?! :ohmy:

shirl May 3rd 2008 9:22 am

Re: Having to pay a 'bond'?

Originally Posted by newtothis (Post 6298283)
Just looking on the internet at customs/shipping etc & found this...

New Immigrant
If you are a new immigrant to New Zealand, and do not yet have permanent residence, you can still bring in your personal effects. However, Customs will require you to pay a bond, this bond is fully refundable and is placed in an interest bearing account for six months. After this time the bond is still recoverable, however it will no longer be gaining interest. Once you have got your permanent residence, then you can take your receipt to Customs with your passport and retrieve your bond

Anyone know if this is true? We are entering on work visa & been told we can't apply for PR for a 2 years. If it is the case, don't much fancy them having my money for 2 years! And how much do they want??!?! :ohmy:

Hi

We came in on a visitors visa in December 2006, OH got a job within 3 months, which then enabled us to get a 2 year work permit and then we were able to ship our furniture without a bond. I don't think you can do this on less than a 2 year work permit but someone else may know different. This was my personal experience. We were advised not to ship until we had permits but we had to pay for storage all the time in the UK. Hope this helps.

CCGM.IN.NZ May 3rd 2008 9:25 am

Hi, we are temporary residents (3year LTBV). We shipped all our stuff and I don't recall paying any bond. Good luck:thumbsup:

Maz May 3rd 2008 9:46 am

Paging simonmarkellis! He and family moved over in August last year and had their container shipped just before you had to have a work visa / PR to not pay import charges.

Not sure on all the ins and outs as we were exempt.