Having Mum to live with you

Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

moppet30 will become famous soon enoughmoppet30 will become famous soon enough
Default Having Mum to live with you

Hi all

Does anyone know If we have PR status is i possible for us to sponser my mum to come and live with us in NZ?

Thanks

Last edited by moppet30; Jul 24th 2007 at 2:46 am.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:31 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Having Mum to live with you

Originally Posted by moppet30
Hi all

Does anyone know If we have PR status is it possible for us to sponsor my mum to come and live with us in NZ?

Thanks
Yes, but you must first have residency for a minimum of three years.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for that

Do you know if she would be able to come and stay on a long term visit visa and just renew it when needed untill that time?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:43 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Hi thanks for that

Do you know if she would be able to come and stay on a long term visit visa and just renew it when needed until that time?
She'll be able to stay with you for a spell, but not for the full three years. This from the NZIS website:

How long can I stay?

The maximum stay under a visitor visa is nine months. As visa-free conditions only last for three months (or six if you are from the United Kingdom), you will need a visa for any longer stay.

We only allow visitors to come for nine months in any 18-month period. This means, for example, if you visited for five months a year ago, you could only stay for another four months on a trip now.

That's way it goes I'm afraid.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:37 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a footnote, you can apply for a three month extension to an existing visitors visa.

For example a UK visitor can apply for three months on top of the existing six months giving you a total of 9 months in one visit.

The 9 months in 18 still applies though.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys much appreciated although not want i wanted too hear

i'm sure we will work something out
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:43 am

Thanks guys much appreciated although not want i wanted too hear

i'm sure we will work something out
Is your Mum able to work? The reason I ask is that there are more than several older women (65+) who work in the sewing factory where my wife works. The factory is chronically short of workers and they will sponsor for work permits.
Maybe that isn't the best idea or suitable for your situation, but just thinking out loud here.

Good luck.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:58 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Not sure on the recent changes but my parents moved over here under the family category two years after us (2 years ago). Providing the majority of siblings are resident in New Zealand was how they did the move and they are both retired.

Never heard of any conditions attached with being here 3 years before being allowed to do that? I know that because of our arrival dates we had to be here 3 years before gaining citzinship and they have to be here 5 years.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Colin that's good too know i will contact Immigration for the exact rules on it.

Thanks everyone for your help
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

debbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nice

Originally Posted by happynz
Is your Mum able to work? The reason I ask is that there are more than several older women (65+) who work in the sewing factory where my wife works. The factory is chronically short of workers and they will sponsor for work permits.
Maybe that isn't the best idea or suitable for your situation, but just thinking out loud here.

Good luck.
Hi there
I know this thread is pretty old now but can I ask was that skilled work ie seamstresses or just casual work that nobody wanted to do? Just curious.....my mum is 67 and wanting to come back with me to Auckland in march ...she loves sewing but is no machinist. trying to get my head around whether this was an isolated incident or fairly common for certain mundane jobs???
thanks
Debbie in Cornwall
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

debbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nicedebbieincornwall is just really nice

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Not sure on the recent changes but my parents moved over here under the family category two years after us (2 years ago). Providing the majority of siblings are resident in New Zealand was how they did the move and they are both retired.

Never heard of any conditions attached with being here 3 years before being allowed to do that? I know that because of our arrival dates we had to be here 3 years before gaining citzinship and they have to be here 5 years.
Hi Colin
I know this is an old thread ... but can I ask you to clarify the above thread. Do you have lots of other brothers and sisters living in NZ? So that they had a strong case? Would grandchildren count in the same way that siblings do?
Just trying to figure out why it was easy for your parents
Thanks
Debbie
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by debbieincornwall
Hi there
I know this thread is pretty old now but can I ask was that skilled work ie seamstresses or just casual work that nobody wanted to do? Just curious.....my mum is 67 and wanting to come back with me to Auckland in march ...she loves sewing but is no machinist. trying to get my head around whether this was an isolated incident or fairly common for certain mundane jobs???
thanks
Debbie in Cornwall
I'm not sure if I can answer your question satisfactorily, but I'll have a go. My wife's position is sewing machinist and she is on an annual contract. She does production work on the trouser line. She doesn't take in sewing or do casual piece work (which is not uncommon in the trade).

Unless I'm wrong here I can't see your mum getting a work permit on the basis of doing piece work at home.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Colin
I know this is an old thread ... but can I ask you to clarify the above thread.

Errr.... he's no longer with us forum wise i'm afraid if my memory is correct.

An alias or two and some fruity posts meant he's banished to........ somewhere.....

Or is he................
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Colin
I know this is an old thread ... but can I ask you to clarify the above thread. Do you have lots of other brothers and sisters living in NZ? So that they had a strong case? Would grandchildren count in the same way that siblings do?
Just trying to figure out why it was easy for your parents
Thanks
Debbie
I have a sponsorship form for parents in front of me right now... to sponsor a person under the Family Category - Parent policy you:
* need to be over 17 years of age
* need to be currently living in NZ
* need to be either a NZ or Australian citizen, or the holder of a current NZ residence permit
* need to have been a citizen or the holder of a current NZ residence permit for at least 3 years immediately prior to the date the person you are sponsoring will make their residence application
* need to have spend at least 184 days in NZ in each of those three years
* need to meet the minimum income requirement (which is about $29k)

In regards to the parents' children, they talk about a centre of gravity. So if they have four children, then at least two need to be NZ resident. If they only had one child resident, they wouldn't be able to apply.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that
yes its pretty much what I already knew though I wasn't aware of the 184 days clause....thats good I thought it had to be a continous 3 year period.
many thanks
Debbie