British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Have you used a migration service? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/have-you-used-migration-service-675666/)

Andy_S Jul 7th 2010 10:29 pm

Have you used a migration service?

Hi guys, new to the forum but been lurking for a while. Our dream of emigration is getting closer and we have had initial discussions with a migration company based in NZ. Would welcome you thoughts on service vs cost, good/bad experiences and generally whether the use of an agent is worthwhile. Looking to come over as a skilled migrant - multi skilled maintenance engineer- but the catch 22 of job offer to get a visa seems a real pain, one which the agencies claim to ease by bolstering your job applications and smoothing the way through the paperwork. :thumbsup:

simonsi Jul 8th 2010 11:49 am

Re: Have you used a migration service?

Hi Andy, NZ uses a points based system so the first suggestion would be to use the NZIS points indicator to see whether you qualify without a job offer?

Its here :)

Dewb09 Jul 8th 2010 10:02 pm

Hi Andy welcome from the shadows :thumbsup: Sorry cant help with your question as we did not use an agent. I think most on here have not as you can save yourself a lot of money by doing it yourself & posting on here with anything you get stuck on.

Good luck with it all
Dewb

mudblood21 Jul 15th 2010 1:26 pm

Hi

good luck ! I didn't use an agent, and I went through first time... look at the NZIS website before you make a decision. You will get lots of help on expats, this website made all the difference to me! :thumbsup:

nukiwi Jul 15th 2010 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Andy_S (Post 8684820)
Hi guys, new to the forum but been lurking for a while. Our dream of emigration is getting closer and we have had initial discussions with a migration company based in NZ. Would welcome you thoughts on service vs cost, good/bad experiences and generally whether the use of an agent is worthwhile. Looking to come over as a skilled migrant - multi skilled maintenance engineer- but the catch 22 of job offer to get a visa seems a real pain, one which the agencies claim to ease by bolstering your job applications and smoothing the way through the paperwork. :thumbsup:

We did use an agent but I think it all depends on your circumstances. My hubby was getting close to the cut-off age and didn't have quite enough points to do the Skilled Migrant route so we had to come out on Temporary Work Visas for 12 months before we could apply for PR. We found the service of an agent invaluable. Just be very careful as some charge very excessive fees. We used the same agent again to get our PR but this time hubby's employer paid :thumbsup:

If you want any more details, just let me know. Good Luck

BEVS Jul 16th 2010 12:09 am

As Simonsi has suggested do try the points indicator and come back to us with your points score. Simonsi has given you the link.

If you want to employ an immigration consultant then make sure the person is licensed by the IAA.

golding2888 Jul 16th 2010 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Andy_S (Post 8684820)

hi andy

we are currently in nz and have seeked advisor in christchurch who is liscenecd..her fees are not bad at all compare to the one in the uk which we were going to use. my other half is a joiner and all we have done today was going to industrial estate and drop off his cv and cover letter with it and our advisors details on it..he has got an interview today with a company..so looking good...good luck