British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   have lots of questions that need answers :( (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/have-lots-questions-need-answers-678575/)

dlparry Jul 27th 2010 8:12 pm

have lots of questions that need answers :(

Hi, i have previously posted on here a few months ago but not really gone any further as i have so many questions and don't know where to start. i have had a look at the points indicator and THINK we may have enough points to enter the pool but not guaranteed 140. i have read that much that i am totally confused with infomation overload.

basically i am a legal secretary, have nine GSCEs, 2 A Levels and a HND in legal studies and am currently studying a degree in Youth and Childhood Studies (in the first year). DH has GSCE's, a PSV licence (bus driving) and HGV licence. i have 12 years experience of working as a legal secretary amongs other things, eg was a pub landlady for a year, and ds has 2/3 HGV and about 6 year experience driving buses - both service work and private work. We have a son aged 6 with special educational needs (health needs also but nothing serious). We are both hardworking and willing to do pretty much anything. We are both in good health, in our 30's and english is our first (and only) language. We would have about £60,000 to £70,000 and would consider buying a small business, for example a small cafe

1. How many points would we get for our education/skills?
2. Would we have problems with son's special needs?
3. if we were to come out on a temporary visa rather than a permanent visa what are the chances of staying?

on a more general note,

where did you start?
has anyone got a step by step plan of what to do? i have rough idea here i want to live etc but should i be researching this before i do other things?
what is the rough cost of the application process?

any advice and tips would be very very appreciated.

thanks

Jan n Neil Jul 28th 2010 7:40 am

Re: have lots of questions that need answers :(

Some pointers to start you off:

I would suggest you try the immigration website and see how many points you do have. 140 is not necessarily required: it just guarantees selection and Invitation to Apply. also check whether your skills are on the long term shortage list - if not your points tally will not be high.

New Zealand is pretty strict with childrens special needs and it may be a problem for you. Unfortunately you won't know that until you are some way into the process: or you could employ very expensive lawyers who might be able to second guess the outcome for you based upon their experience.

So, why not have a go? Allow about 1200GBP for photocopies of documents, the medicals and police checks.

danjones1 Jul 28th 2010 3:39 pm

What jobs are you going for? Bus driving and secretary work is not on the skilled lists as far as I am aware. Look at long term business visa, that might be the easist route.

dlparry Jul 28th 2010 4:24 pm

thanks, was hoping to get over on husband's HGV licence but i don't think its on the skills shortage list anymore. i then would be get a job doing secretarial work or even look at waitressing or cleaning. its looking like putting things on hold until either it appears on the list again or wait until i have finished my degree which will open the window to social/educational work (although not teaching)