British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Have I been advised correctly (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/have-i-been-advised-correctly-871480/)

ashaw Jan 28th 2016 7:15 pm

Have I been advised correctly

Hi,

Myself (29) and my girlfriend (21) are looking to move to Christchurch permanently. I'm a joiner and have been working for myself the past 6 years so got a good amount of experience.

I called up Canstaff and they have advised us to initially both apply for a WHV each. We would then be able to stay for either 12-23 months and get a full time job. Once we are in NZ after a certain time he said we should then apply for residency.

I just wanted to check that this sounds like a reasonable plan, I was concerned that being on a holiday visa could affect us with things like renting, getting phone etc etc

I have looked and Joinery & Carpentry is on the list of skilled occupations and the Canterbury skills shortage list, but does that mean that we would be eligible for residency?

There's so much info online and I'm being told contradicting things from different people, I'm having a hard time working out where we stand. Any help would be appreciated :)

ashaw Jan 28th 2016 7:34 pm

Re: Have I been advised correctly

Ok,

I just looked at the thread with all the points for the Skilled migrant category. As far as I can tell I would score the following points, please correct me if you see a mistake

30 - for being between the age's of 20-29
50 - this is assuming I was to get a job offer
20 - for having 6 years working experience
40 - for having a level 4-6 qualification (I have an NVQ in carpentry & joinery)

That's a total of 140, according to that thread you're pretty much guaranteed to get as long as you meet all the other criteria like good character and all that. Would me and my girlfriend be able to apply for this together even though she doesn't have a skill that's in shortage?

If so I see no reason to apply for the WHV, that would just give me extra points that I wouldn't need, for having work experience inside NZ.

MrsFychan Jan 28th 2016 7:49 pm

you have calculated correctly as long as your qualification is deemed to be recognised and matches exactly the requirement in NZ and they agree the level for it and you get a job offer that matches the requirements.
As for coming with your girlfriend on a permanent visa you would have to satisfy immigration that this is a stable relations, have lived together or your lives have been as one for at least the last 12mths.

On a WHV you can work for a set amount of time, total of 12months over a 23mth visa and you cannot attach anyone else to it so your girlfriend would have to uplift one on her own.

ashaw Jan 28th 2016 8:02 pm

Thanks for the reply, yes we have been living together for about 18 months. Do you think it would be better to just apply for the residency visa straight off?

MrsFychan Jan 28th 2016 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by ashaw (Post 11852008)
Thanks for the reply, yes we have been living together for about 18 months. Do you think it would be better to just apply for the residency visa straight off?

if you get a job offer and all the other criteria is correct and deemed so by Immigration then it would be cheaper - please be aware that the Canterbury visa only affords you a temp visa as it only covers the time of the job offer.
Its getting a job that meets the criteria that immigration expect so $55,000 or above over 30 hours a week, I believe, and your qualification fits the criteria required to uplift a visa so comparable to NZ qualification.

have a search through the forums for joiner - http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...church-853486/

BEVS Jan 28th 2016 9:02 pm

Yes. Actually this does sound like a good plan. Well done Canstaff.

My thought is that you get yourselves over here and you working in your trade. Once you are here and working in your trade you go straight for residency.

Your residency application will be strengthened by you both actually being in the country & you having started work.

For a residency application under the skilled migrant category the job need only to be paying a 'going rate' for the joiner work. I believe that is $45K or more.

For a work to residency application - which you need not do - which would be with an accredited employer the wage would need to be $55K.

I quite see your point about possible issue with renting and phones whilst on a WHV. I would imagine that the employer providing you with proof of earnings and security from your Nz bank account would overcome this.

ashaw Jan 28th 2016 10:02 pm

Ah, I see.

I didn't know about $55k earning requirement. I guess we will look to get WHV's then.

Thanks

ashaw Jan 28th 2016 10:26 pm

Had a quick look through some posts and I wasn't differentiating between a skilled migrant category visa and the work to residency visa.

So, just to clarify, our route to getting residency is probably best achieved by:

Applying for a WHV each
Travelling over
Finding a permanent job (joiner is on the skilled list)
Apply for SMC visa together with my partner with me as the main applicant?