British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Hairdressing quals query (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/hairdressing-quals-query-527108/)

suzi n steve Apr 5th 2008 9:39 pm

Hairdressing quals query

Hope someone can help me out on this one. I have searched the forums and checked the hairdressing section but to no avail.

Story so far - would love to emigrate to NZ, OH is an HGV driver. Unable to do anything at the moment due to problems with our house and ex. V. long story. So we are here for a while longer. I have decicded to go back to college and get some quals and am hoping to sign up to do Hairdressing NVQ2and possibly NVQ 3 if we are still here next year.

Now the crunch - on the NZIS website it states C&G. Does anyone know if the NVQs are acceptable in place of C&G and if they are worth any points? Fingers crossed and all that.

BEVS Apr 6th 2008 10:41 pm

Re: Hairdressing quals query

Yes. NZIS will accept NVQ if your course is not a C&G one.

Please do make sure that you go all the way with your hairdressing though. Don't stop at NVQ2 . Go onto NVQ3 as you will need to match the minimum standard set out by NZIS and ANZSCO.

Once you have your NVQ3, although you don;t necessarily need to, it would be prudent to put the NVQ3 hairdressing through a prelim- NZQA assessment. That way it is all tied up tight.

Steve and Julie Apr 7th 2008 5:01 am

Hi

I am a British Hairdresser living in NZ. I did C&G and it added alot of points to our application. There is masses of work out here for hairdressers. NZ needs good ones. Had my hair done, in a so called top salon, my god what a mistake!!!!!!!!!! Fine high lights ended up a block of bleach. :mad:

Ju

suzi n steve Apr 7th 2008 12:03 pm

Thanks Bev and Ju for your information. Now I just have to get in the course and pass it.

BEVS Apr 7th 2008 12:20 pm

Although hairdressing isn't on either the immediate or long term shortage list, it is seen as a skilled occupation.
I know of one hairdresser that managed to gain PR through this occupation.

Once you have your NVQ3 [ please do make sure you go the whole hog ] , you would really need to come out here with your husband/partner and look to gain job offers.

As a hairdresser , anyone that offered you a job would have to prove to the New Zealand Immigration Service that there was no NZ resident that could do that job . They would prove that by showing records of adverts etc. Once you secured that job and NZIS accepted it, then you and your partner could , in theory, go for permanent residency. The job would need to be full time and permanent. It would also need to be paying wages at around the market rate.

With the HGV , as I am sure you have read on here, it is not so cut and dried.

He can be offered a job trucking here and as his occupation is on the immediate shortage list, an employer may offer him a job without having to prove that there is no Nz resident for the work. However, it is not , at the present time, seen as a skilled occupation so could not be used towards a Permanent Residency application unless he was earning $50K pa for a 40 hr week.

Good luck with the hairdressing courses.

suzi n steve Apr 7th 2008 12:43 pm

Thanks Bevs. We already knew about the HGV thing and even though hubby was prepared to go over on a work visa, I wanted to make sure that we could get PR through something which meant I had to retrain. I suppose I could always retrain out there, but then there is the childcare costs to consider for the little one and school fees for our almost 5 year old. Things are never simple on this emigration lark are they.

BEVS Apr 8th 2008 12:44 am

Originally Posted by suzi n steve (Post 6172350)
Thanks Bevs. We already knew about the HGV thing and even though hubby was prepared to go over on a work visa, I wanted to make sure that we could get PR through something which meant I had to retrain. I suppose I could always retrain out there, but then there is the childcare costs to consider for the little one and school fees for our almost 5 year old. Things are never simple on this emigration lark are they.

I'm giving you some karma for having a very sensible head. You certainly deserve to have PR when your time comes IMHO.

aysh May 25th 2008 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6169923)
Yes. NZIS will accept NVQ if your course is not a C&G one.

Please do make sure that you go all the way with your hairdressing though. Don't stop at NVQ2 . Go onto NVQ3 as you will need to match the minimum standard set out by NZIS and ANZSCO.

Once you have your NVQ3, although you don;t necessarily need to, it would be prudent to put the NVQ3 hairdressing through a prelim- NZQA assessment. That way it is all tied up tight.

Hi Bevs,

My friend is a Hairdresser from India. She says that she has done a C&G but there is no level mentioned. I just wanted to know if there are different levels in C&G. What is the requirement for NZ?

thanks

davit Aug 5th 2008 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie (Post 6170754)
Hi

I am a British Hairdresser living in NZ. I did C&G and it added alot of points to our application. There is masses of work out here for hairdressers. NZ needs good ones. Had my hair done, in a so called top salon, my god what a mistake!!!!!!!!!! Fine high lights ended up a block of bleach. :mad:

Ju

Please dont judge New Zealand hairdressing by your one visit!
As a Uk hairdresser living and working here for 14 years, I can tell you the quality of work here is amazing. One thing you cannot take away from kiwis is there artisan like quality to anything creative.

davit Aug 5th 2008 4:45 am

Originally Posted by suzi n steve (Post 6164894)
Hope someone can help me out on this one. I have searched the forums and checked the hairdressing section but to no avail.

Story so far - would love to emigrate to NZ, OH is an HGV driver. Unable to do anything at the moment due to problems with our house and ex. V. long story. So we are here for a while longer. I have decicded to go back to college and get some quals and am hoping to sign up to do Hairdressing NVQ2and possibly NVQ 3 if we are still here next year.

Now the crunch - on the NZIS website it states C&G. Does anyone know if the NVQs are acceptable in place of C&G and if they are worth any points? Fingers crossed and all that.

Please dont just think cos you have done an NVQ3 in hairdressing that NZI will give you a permit.....They always look at work experience related to the NVQ.