Had medicals today!!

Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Had medicals today!!

Well,we are now £860 lighter thanks to medicals for 2 adults & 2 kids and x-rays for 2 adults :curse:

I tell you what,it's easy money for the docs isn't it? We were there for 90 minutes but 30 of those was taken with filling in the forms ,providing urine samples and waiting. Did not realise that the extra fasting bloods would cost another £60 for the 2 of us though. A few have asked on here re waist measurements and what we were told today was that it is not a waist measurement but a girth measurement taken round your tummy button.Not a happy bunny about this as probably the widest part of me. Had worked at getting waist size down too:curse:The medicals were very basic,not as in-depth as I thought (and expected for the price). Really worried though as my BMI was 41 but I am extremely healthy,not on any medication,hardly ever visit the GP and other than being over-weight generally ok. Other bummer is that the doc goes on holiday tomorrow so results won't be available until 23rd July,but we are not back from ours until 26th so will need to get them on 28th july,nearly 3 weeks away!!!!! Really hoped we would be able to submit our ITA before we go on hols on 16th.Never mind,will do it after. The x-rays literally took 5 minutes,so it's easy dosh for them too.

Thanks for letting me rant and get this off my chest. Just need to not think about it and enjoy our hols.

Phyllis
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

ptbrophy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Had medicals today!!

Originally Posted by weejie
Well,we are now £860 lighter thanks to medicals for 2 adults & 2 kids and x-rays for 2 adults :curse:

I tell you what,it's easy money for the docs isn't it? We were there for 90 minutes but 30 of those was taken with filling in the forms ,providing urine samples and waiting. Did not realise that the extra fasting bloods would cost another £60 for the 2 of us though. A few have asked on here re waist measurements and what we were told today was that it is not a waist measurement but a girth measurement taken round your tummy button.Not a happy bunny about this as probably the widest part of me. Had worked at getting waist size down too:curse:The medicals were very basic,not as in-depth as I thought (and expected for the price). Really worried though as my BMI was 41 but I am extremely healthy,not on any medication,hardly ever visit the GP and other than being over-weight generally ok. Other bummer is that the doc goes on holiday tomorrow so results won't be available until 23rd July,but we are not back from ours until 26th so will need to get them on 28th july,nearly 3 weeks away!!!!! Really hoped we would be able to submit our ITA before we go on hols on 16th.Never mind,will do it after. The x-rays literally took 5 minutes,so it's easy dosh for them too.

Thanks for letting me rant and get this off my chest. Just need to not think about it and enjoy our hols.

Phyllis

Did you go to Nuffield for x-rays and Bryden for medical? I have mine booked for 4th August!

And just measured round my belly button - not good either!!!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Flan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really nice

oh dear - are the guidelines still 88cm for women around the belly button? Have a 6 month old son so will need to lose the remnants of my baby bump!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ptbrophy
Did you go to Nuffield for x-rays and Bryden for medical? I have mine booked for 4th August!

And just measured round my belly button - not good either!!!
Yes, Dr Bryden and the Nuffield. We parked in Buchanan Galleries car park and walked down,only a few minutes away. She ( Dr Bryden ) is very nice just gets her money for not doing a lot

Originally Posted by Flan
oh dear - are the guidelines still 88cm for women around the belly button? Have a 6 month old son so will need to lose the remnants of my baby bump!
That's what I was trying but left it a bit late......mine is 8 and 5 years old
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Did not realise that the extra fasting bloods would cost another £60 for the 2 of us though.
Phyllis
Are extra fasting bloods always required? Or is there a certain criteria that if you fall into you need to provide extra blood?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ptbrophy
Are extra fasting bloods always required? Or is there a certain criteria that if you fall into you need to provide extra blood?
Fasting bloods are needed if your BMI likely to be >30 ( I think ) or waist measurements are > their limits( 88cm for females I think). Easy way to figure out BMI is take weight in kg then do height in metres,and multiply by itself. Divide your weight by your height squared and this is your BMI.

Phyllis
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Fasting bloods are needed if your BMI likely to be >30 ( I think ) or waist measurements are > their limits( 88cm for females I think). Easy way to figure out BMI is take weight in kg then do height in metres,and multiply by itself. Divide your weight by your height squared and this is your BMI.

Phyllis
Hmm, serious crash diet and 7 days a week exercise is on the cards!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:43 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Phyllis,

Did you choose to go to the nuffield or was that the only one locally you were "allowed" to go to by NZIS??

WOW £860 is steep!!! I really didnt think it would be that much! I know that one of the GP's i work for does it through his practice and i dont think its THAT expensive!

But i guess thats the Nuffield for ya! haha

Heres a quick reference BMI Chart. I use these alot for my Personal Training Clients. Saves having to calculate it out.

Last edited by Yummy_Mummy; Jul 8th 2008 at 5:52 pm. Reason: Adding BMI chart
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy
Phyllis,

Did you choose to go to the nuffield or was that the only one locally you were "allowed" to go to by NZIS??

WOW £860 is steep!!! I really didnt think it would be that much! I know that one of the GP's i work for does it through his practice and i dont think its THAT expensive!

But i guess thats the Nuffield for ya! haha
X-Rays @ Nuffield = £80 (per x-ray)
Adult Medical @ Bryden = £250 (inclusive of blood test @ £140)
Child Medical @ Bryden = £70 (dont think children are required to give blood?)
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Yummy_Mummy;6549029]Phyllis,

This is the only one on the approved list in Glasgow for x-rays,and Dr Bryden only doc on approved list in Glasgow.

Phyllis
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:09 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Hmmm

Oh well thats my plans out of the window haha No free ride for me then lol
Well unless i try to get "contacts" at the nuffield haha (I wish!)

OMG I didnt realise that graph was gonna be so BIG.... and now i cant change it lol

Oh well, no excuses for not knowing your BMI
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy
Hmmm

Oh well thats my plans out of the window haha No free ride for me then lol
Well unless i try to get "contacts" at the nuffield haha (I wish!)

OMG I didnt realise that graph was gonna be so BIG.... and now i cant change it lol

Oh well, no excuses for not knowing your BMI
Hey peeps

We used the usual glasgow ones too nuffield for the rip off x ray and Dr Bryden for the medicals, no complaints apart from the monet it cost.

Im not exactly the slimmest of guys and I had no problem with the whole girth thing............ breathe in ...... a lot, thats what I did !!! no really I did and it was fine.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Nick trucker is an unknown quantity at this point

Phyllis
You cannot blame the doctors for making money and NZ government wanting healthy people. Its our government which are stupid thats why our national health service is in a mess because anybody can come to the UK and its free even if you have just arrived in the country. I dread to think what the national health service is going to be like in 10 years time god help us all.