British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Had medicals today!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/had-medicals-today-547722/)

weejie Jul 8th 2008 4:14 pm

Had medicals today!!

Well,we are now £860 lighter thanks to medicals for 2 adults & 2 kids and x-rays for 2 adults :thumbdown::curse:

I tell you what,it's easy money for the docs isn't it? We were there for 90 minutes but 30 of those was taken with filling in the forms ,providing urine samples and waiting. Did not realise that the extra fasting bloods would cost another £60 for the 2 of us though. A few have asked on here re waist measurements and what we were told today was that it is not a waist measurement but a girth measurement taken round your tummy button.Not a happy bunny about this as probably the widest part of me:D. Had worked at getting waist size down too:curse:The medicals were very basic,not as in-depth as I thought (and expected for the price). Really worried though as my BMI was 41:eek::eek: but I am extremely healthy,not on any medication,hardly ever visit the GP and other than being over-weight generally ok. Other bummer is that the doc goes on holiday tomorrow so results won't be available until 23rd July,but we are not back from ours until 26th so will need to get them on 28th july,nearly 3 weeks away!!!!! Really hoped we would be able to submit our ITA before we go on hols on 16th.Never mind,will do it after. The x-rays literally took 5 minutes,so it's easy dosh for them too.

Thanks for letting me rant and get this off my chest. Just need to not think about it and enjoy our hols.

Phyllis

ptbrophy Jul 8th 2008 4:33 pm

Re: Had medicals today!!

Originally Posted by weejie (Post 6548715)
Well,we are now £860 lighter thanks to medicals for 2 adults & 2 kids and x-rays for 2 adults :thumbdown::curse:

I tell you what,it's easy money for the docs isn't it? We were there for 90 minutes but 30 of those was taken with filling in the forms ,providing urine samples and waiting. Did not realise that the extra fasting bloods would cost another £60 for the 2 of us though. A few have asked on here re waist measurements and what we were told today was that it is not a waist measurement but a girth measurement taken round your tummy button.Not a happy bunny about this as probably the widest part of me:D. Had worked at getting waist size down too:curse:The medicals were very basic,not as in-depth as I thought (and expected for the price). Really worried though as my BMI was 41:eek::eek: but I am extremely healthy,not on any medication,hardly ever visit the GP and other than being over-weight generally ok. Other bummer is that the doc goes on holiday tomorrow so results won't be available until 23rd July,but we are not back from ours until 26th so will need to get them on 28th july,nearly 3 weeks away!!!!! Really hoped we would be able to submit our ITA before we go on hols on 16th.Never mind,will do it after. The x-rays literally took 5 minutes,so it's easy dosh for them too.

Thanks for letting me rant and get this off my chest. Just need to not think about it and enjoy our hols.

Phyllis

Did you go to Nuffield for x-rays and Bryden for medical? I have mine booked for 4th August!

And just measured round my belly button - not good either!!!

Flan Jul 8th 2008 4:43 pm

oh dear - are the guidelines still 88cm for women around the belly button? Have a 6 month old son so will need to lose the remnants of my baby bump! :o

weejie Jul 8th 2008 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by ptbrophy (Post 6548787)
Did you go to Nuffield for x-rays and Bryden for medical? I have mine booked for 4th August!

And just measured round my belly button - not good either!!!

Yes, Dr Bryden and the Nuffield. We parked in Buchanan Galleries car park and walked down,only a few minutes away. She ( Dr Bryden ) is very nice just gets her money for not doing a lot:lol:

Originally Posted by Flan (Post 6548839)
oh dear - are the guidelines still 88cm for women around the belly button? Have a 6 month old son so will need to lose the remnants of my baby bump! :o

That's what I was trying but left it a bit late......mine is 8 and 5 years old:lol::lol:

ptbrophy Jul 8th 2008 5:20 pm

Did not realise that the extra fasting bloods would cost another £60 for the 2 of us though.
Phyllis

Are extra fasting bloods always required? Or is there a certain criteria that if you fall into you need to provide extra blood?

weejie Jul 8th 2008 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ptbrophy (Post 6548963)
Are extra fasting bloods always required? Or is there a certain criteria that if you fall into you need to provide extra blood?

Fasting bloods are needed if your BMI likely to be >30 ( I think ) or waist measurements are > their limits( 88cm for females I think). Easy way to figure out BMI is take weight in kg then do height in metres,and multiply by itself. Divide your weight by your height squared and this is your BMI.

Phyllis

ptbrophy Jul 8th 2008 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by weejie (Post 6548992)
Fasting bloods are needed if your BMI likely to be >30 ( I think ) or waist measurements are > their limits( 88cm for females I think). Easy way to figure out BMI is take weight in kg then do height in metres,and multiply by itself. Divide your weight by your height squared and this is your BMI.

Phyllis

Hmm, serious crash diet and 7 days a week exercise is on the cards!

Yummy_Mummy Jul 8th 2008 5:43 pm

Phyllis,

Did you choose to go to the nuffield or was that the only one locally you were "allowed" to go to by NZIS??

WOW £860 is steep!!! I really didnt think it would be that much! I know that one of the GP's i work for does it through his practice and i dont think its THAT expensive!

But i guess thats the Nuffield for ya! haha :lol:

Heres a quick reference BMI Chart. I use these alot for my Personal Training Clients. Saves having to calculate it out.

http://www.drrichardson.com/assets/images/bmi-chart.jpg

ptbrophy Jul 8th 2008 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy (Post 6549029)
Phyllis,

Did you choose to go to the nuffield or was that the only one locally you were "allowed" to go to by NZIS??

WOW £860 is steep!!! I really didnt think it would be that much! I know that one of the GP's i work for does it through his practice and i dont think its THAT expensive!

But i guess thats the Nuffield for ya! haha :lol:

X-Rays @ Nuffield = £80 (per x-ray)
Adult Medical @ Bryden = £250 (inclusive of blood test @ £140)
Child Medical @ Bryden = £70 (dont think children are required to give blood?)

weejie Jul 8th 2008 7:27 pm

[QUOTE=Yummy_Mummy;6549029]Phyllis,

This is the only one on the approved list in Glasgow for x-rays,and Dr Bryden only doc on approved list in Glasgow.

Phyllis

Yummy_Mummy Jul 8th 2008 8:09 pm

Hmmm

Oh well thats my plans out of the window haha No free ride for me then lol
Well unless i try to get "contacts" at the nuffield haha :lol: (I wish!)

OMG I didnt realise that graph was gonna be so BIG.... and now i cant change it lol

Oh well, no excuses for not knowing your BMI :p

alanmacc Jul 9th 2008 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Yummy_Mummy (Post 6549568)
Hmmm

Oh well thats my plans out of the window haha No free ride for me then lol
Well unless i try to get "contacts" at the nuffield haha :lol: (I wish!)

OMG I didnt realise that graph was gonna be so BIG.... and now i cant change it lol

Oh well, no excuses for not knowing your BMI :p

Hey peeps

We used the usual glasgow ones too nuffield for the rip off x ray and Dr Bryden for the medicals, no complaints apart from the monet it cost.

Im not exactly the slimmest of guys and I had no problem with the whole girth thing............ breathe in ...... a lot, thats what I did !!! no really I did and it was fine.

Nick trucker Jul 9th 2008 7:30 am

Phyllis

You cannot blame the doctors for making money and NZ government wanting healthy people. Its our government which are stupid thats why our national health service is in a mess because anybody can come to the UK and its free even if you have just arrived in the country. I dread to think what the national health service is going to be like in 10 years time god help us all.