British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Gutted - qualifications probably not accepted! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/gutted-qualifications-probably-not-accepted-505857/)

alya Jan 13th 2008 1:40 pm

Gutted - qualifications probably not accepted!

I am a primary school tecaher but trained via GTP - an employment based route rather than based at uni - i still had to do the same assignments as a post grad student but NZQA say they prob wont be able to recognise my choice of route to becoming a qualified teacher.

Don't know where to go from here - hubby does not have a skilled trade, and am thinking it will be very unlikely that i would be able to re-train for anything else due to funding.

Feeling very blue at the moment as just want to be able to move out of this country!:thumbdown:

littleal Jan 13th 2008 2:56 pm

Re: Gutted - qualifications probably not accepted!

Don't despair. You should still get points for your degree. What does your OH do? What do your points total at the moment? Are you under 30? There may be ways round it.

Alison

alya Jan 13th 2008 3:46 pm

Hi

Thanks for the +ve reply - this game is so up and down - i felt elated this week having finally made a decision to go.

I looked at the list on the NZIS site and my uni wasnt listed so NZQA would still need to look at my degree and see if they will recognise it - i have a Bsc (Hons) in Geography.

Tim is a quality control engineer but with no formal qulaifications except from GCSE's. Havnt totalled points yet as the EOI form seems complex and as I know they prob wouldnt accept my QTS am unsure if i can still list myself as being on the skills shortage list - i am working as a primary tecaher over here.

Its all a bit ARRGGHH!! Didn't know wether to enlist the help of an Agent. And I am nearly 32 and tim is 33!

Thanks Alison for the reply

Aly x

alya Jan 13th 2008 4:00 pm

I have just done the EOI, not looking good at the moment becuase i had to put my bsc wasnt recognised becasue my uni isnt in the list - the bsc would get you 50 points i do believe which would push me above the 100. But OH reluctant to spend the money getting teaching qualifications assessed if they are just going to say no! We have been discussing what to do all afternoon - i think i will amke some phone calls tomorrow, and see what else i can find out!

littleal Jan 13th 2008 4:11 pm

Your money might be better spent with NZQA than with an agent. I'm not much of a techie but has Tim tried looking for work on seek.co.nz. It may be that his expertise is needed despite the lack of qualifications.

Alison

JAJ Jan 13th 2008 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by alya (Post 5781650)
I looked at the list on the NZIS site and my uni wasnt listed so NZQA would still need to look at my degree and see if they will recognise it - i have a Bsc (Hons) in Geography.

What do you mean by your "uni wasn't listed". All accredited U.K. universities are acceptable to NZIS (however there may well be problems with GTP, afaik most places outside England don't accept it).

Which university is it?

alya Jan 13th 2008 5:04 pm

It was University College Worcester - now called University of Worcester. It is well know for teacher training in UK, but i guess NZ think otherwise..

When I looked on he NZIS site at the recognised qualifications page it just gave a list of uni's and worcester was not on them. I am so confused and dont know what to do now. I am going to phone uni tomorrow and see if there is anythign i cna do.

Not sure if i would be eligbile for PGCE once i already am a qualified teacher? Can't see any other way in than through teaching, unless i am being too narrow minded?

Here comes the sun Jan 13th 2008 5:27 pm

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your situation, I no you can do a PGCE in post 16 education as a distance learning course and it may be that the LEA in your area could pay for this. I looked in to doing a PGCE from my nursing qualification and it seemed the only option that didnt involve full time study. However you do need to be able to get in to a post 16 environment to get assessed teaching this age group.

I would look at getting your qualification assessed, alternatively maybe you could look for work via your husbands qualifications and go down the work visa route.

There were some posts on here fairly recently about primary school teachers in christchurch and lack of jobs even though its on the shortage list it seems the shortage may only apply to certain areas in NZ.

If your heart is set on emmigrating im sure you will be able to find a route in to the country.

Mudblood Jan 13th 2008 7:34 pm

I work in F.E. and got my PGCE whilst I earned money, and the course was funded by my employer.
Is it worth trying to get a job with a college, they will put you through a PGCE and pay for it too. It will be a delay, but that's better than not at all.
Best of luck.

P.S. I haven't had my qualifications assessed yet, so I am taking it for granted that my PGCE will do the trick!

alya Jan 13th 2008 7:36 pm

I never thought of that - i will look into it. A delay if i can get the qualilfications will be worth it - its not like we could go this year anyway - need to sort money, sell house etc etc... but ut is something we want in teh next few year years...

Thanks for that - i am trying to stay +ve, but it is so up and down.

alya Jan 13th 2008 7:37 pm

where did you look for your job at the college putting you through the PGCE?

JAJ Jan 13th 2008 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by alya (Post 5781935)
It was University College Worcester - now called University of Worcester. It is well know for teacher training in UK, but i guess NZ think otherwise..

When I looked on he NZIS site at the recognised qualifications page it just gave a list of uni's and worcester was not on them. I am so confused and dont know what to do now. I am going to phone uni tomorrow and see if there is anythign i cna do.

The NZIS list was based on an Australian list of U.K. universities from 1992. When was your university granted university status and what precisely was the status of "University College Worcester" before then? (in other words, who granted its degrees).

alya Jan 13th 2008 8:02 pm

It granted it's own degress - i looked at my certificate today and the seal is a University College Worcester - doesnt mention anything about any othe runi. I think i was the first couple of years when it could grant its own degress - before then it may have been through loughbourgh or leicester - but not 100% sure. So how would i know for sure if it is a recognised qualification - should i say it is on EOI as it is Bsc?

JAJ Jan 19th 2008 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by alya (Post 5782620)
It granted it's own degress - i looked at my certificate today and the seal is a University College Worcester - doesnt mention anything about any othe runi. I think i was the first couple of years when it could grant its own degress - before then it may have been through loughbourgh or leicester - but not 100% sure. So how would i know for sure if it is a recognised qualification - should i say it is on EOI as it is Bsc?

The Wikipedia article says that it was granted degree awarding powers by the Privy Council in 1997, and full university status in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Worcester

Can the university issue a letter explaining this?

The NZIS list of recognised institutions appears to be based on an Australian list compiled in 1992, so that may explain why your university is not there.

However, NZQA should know about it and be prepared to accept it (at least the BSc). In any case, the NZIS site says that degrees intended to be used for teaching need an NZIS assessment regardless.

j19fmm Jan 25th 2008 7:37 pm

Hi there, was spurred to join you all due to this one.
I have spent ages trying to get answers regarding my BED Hons degree and ECE teaching in NZ. I have found a wonderfully helpful man!!! His name is Charles Brown and is Northern Manager TeachNZ, Ministry of Education , Auckland. his email is <<snip>>
Perhaps he can help clarify things although I hate to say I think quals got thru working -to- teaching are not recognised.
Really wish you best of luck,:)

oh no first posting and i get it wrong, sorry guys was trying to be helpful, guess you can work out email address for yourselves, sorry sorry sorry