British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   got residency, what happens if we have a baby? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/got-residency-what-happens-if-we-have-baby-700240/)

mini stinky Jan 12th 2011 3:06 am

got residency, what happens if we have a baby?

Live in NZ, been here 15 months, working in permanent jobs, been on work permits until today...

Got our stickers today, not PR, need to do 2 years as residents first, no problem, we love it here! My question is, if I have a baby in the next 2 years, will it affect us getting PR? I can't see it as a factor anywhere in all I've read (they've changed the terminology recently, so we have 'residency visa with travel conditions' instead of the previously issued 'RRV'), anyone else been in our situation?

Thanks!

mini stinky Jan 12th 2011 6:01 am

Re: got residency, what happens if we have a baby?

Having read that back, it's not very clear, sorry!:confused:

We have residency, have 2 years of travel conditions on the visa sticker in the passport. I'm just keen to get started with a family and would hate it to jeopardise our Permanent Residency in 2 years time...

Anyone know anything? :fingerscrossed: Thanks!!

BEVS Jan 12th 2011 8:55 am

I'm still not clear.
Are you now Permanent Residents or not?

Are you then referring to Returning Residents visas which allow you to leave and return to NZ. The first of those is for 2 years. After that it is indefinite.

simonsi Jan 12th 2011 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9095322)
I'm still not clear.
Are you now Permanent Residents or not?

Are you then referring to Returning Residents visas which allow you to leave and return to NZ. The first of those is for 2 years. After that it is indefinite.

I think she has the new version where there isnĀ“t an RRV, it is phrased as condition on the PR permit (same as employer, funds or onward ticket type restrictions etc on temp permits).

My understanding is that you have PR subject to not breaching those travel conditions for the period they apply.

If you have a baby then you would need to apply to have its own PR under the family stream, unless it is automatically a Kiwi citizen.

mini stinky Jan 12th 2011 8:55 pm

Hello, thanks for the replies.

@Bevs: I have a 'Resident Visa' in my passport. Multiple entry. Visa Expiry date is given as 'indefinite' but there is an expiry date for travel of 11 jan 2013 (2 years from date we received it).

@simonsi, thanks, yes it's the new one... that's what is confusing me... that noone seems to know about it yet! So, I'd have to apply for the baby to have PR, is that a whole residency process to start again? Am shuddering at the thought of the paperwork!! :blink:

simonsi Jan 12th 2011 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by mini stinky (Post 9096825)
@simonsi, thanks, yes it's the new one... that's what is confusing me... that noone seems to know about it yet! So, I'd have to apply for the baby to have PR, is that a whole residency process to start again? Am shuddering at the thought of the paperwork!! :blink:

No, I think you'll just need the dependant child forms and the simplest medical.

Assuming birth in-country isn't enough to establish citizenship for the little one as it does in the US IIRC

mini stinky Jan 12th 2011 11:22 pm

Phew! :thumbup:

Thanks Simonsi!

JAJ Jan 13th 2011 12:48 am

If a child is born in NZ and at least one parent is a PR (or citizen) at the time of birth then the child is automatically a New Zealand citizen.