Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Got "diploma level 6" for my pre-assessment

Got "diploma level 6" for my pre-assessment

Old Jul 10th 2010, 4:13 pm
Banned

askanaan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got "diploma level 6" for my pre-assessment

Hi everyone,

I am a J2EE developer with six years of experience in this area.

I received my nzqa pre-assessment result today, they told me that my qualification is comparable to a level 6 learning outcome in new zealand.
I was filling my EOI today and i reviewed the long term skill shortage list and i found that "Information technology professionals" requires a BS degree "level 7". how will this affect my EOI? Is there another "Long term skill shortage" that i can map my qualification and exprience to?

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:38 pm
Banned

Default Re: Got "diploma level 6" for my pre-assessment

ok maybe i was asking the wrong question, what I want to know is on what basis does nzqa determine the level of your degree, how can i get a level 7 qualification?

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:16 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that they will rank your awarding body and your qualification against a pre-defined set of criteria, but I dont know if those assessment criteria are public. The best approach might be the simplest of just asking them directly.

The experience and the qualification are different issues, although I think you are correct that not having one can limit your ability to claim points for the other.

Your proof of experience will need to come directly from your employer or employers.

If you don't meet all the criteria then you won't be able to claim all the points you planned to. They may be excluded or reduced depending on how you fail to meet the criteria.

How this effects your EOI will depend on what your level is and the level that is being selected. You may be still be selected on a lower points basis or you may be dropped from the pool and have to reapply.

It's hard to answer your questions are they simultaneously quite specific and quite vague!!

WP
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:26 am
Banned

Thank you for your reply, actually my problem is as follows, i need to claim points for my work experience since I work in an area of shortage in nz, I belong to the "Information Technology (IT) Professionals" criteria, but the problem is that you need to have a "Bachelor Degree (Level 7) qualification majoring in computer science, information science or information technology" as mentioned in the LTSSL, its realy annoying since I have an experience of 6 years and I cant claim points for it... am i understanding things right?

Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Perhaps start another thread in the main forum directed at IT people asking which qualifications are recognised & if anyone had work experience assessed as part of a full NZQA assessment etc.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:08 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by askanaan
Thank you for your reply, actually my problem is as follows, i need to claim points for my work experience since I work in an area of shortage in nz, I belong to the "Information Technology (IT) Professionals" criteria, but the problem is that you need to have a "Bachelor Degree (Level 7) qualification majoring in computer science, information science or information technology" as mentioned in the LTSSL, its realy annoying since I have an experience of 6 years and I cant claim points for it... am i understanding things right?
As per your other thread, it means you can't claim the bonus points relating to the LTSSL. You get points for your experience elsewhere in the points indicator but you cannot claim the bonus points without the level 7 qualification.