British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Going from work visa to residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/going-work-visa-residency-555836/)

fired50 Aug 18th 2008 12:16 am

Going from work visa to residency

I'm a teacher in a new zealand school. I've been working here for 5 weeks now, on a one year work visa. My contract (one year) may well be extended in a years time.

My questions are:

- What's the quickest, easisest way to get residency - I have all police certs and have had a medical completed in the last 2 months before i came out?

- As I'm working in a field that's needed, will an application for residency go through quicker?

- Where do I start?

Regards

F50

scottishnomad Aug 18th 2008 3:37 am

Re: Going from work visa to residency

Originally Posted by fired50 (Post 6689203)
I'm a teacher in a new zealand school. I've been working here for 5 weeks now, on a one year work visa. My contract (one year) may well be extended in a years time.

My questions are:

- What's the quickest, easisest way to get residency - I have all police certs and have had a medical completed in the last 2 months before i came out?

- As I'm working in a field that's needed, will an application for residency go through quicker?

- Where do I start?

Regards

F50

Hi,

Your first step would be to complete a ITA with NZIS, you can do this online. ($400)

Once selected and if selected you will be invited to apply for residancy. At such time, you will to send in all your documents (police, medical, job proof etc..)

If you are in a Skilled job and Currently Employed your application should be selected quicker, althougth the whole residancy part of application can take upto 9 months still. I'm in NZ on work permit and have a similar issue. I started the whole process in Feb and sent Residency APP in 3 months ago and am Still waiting, i think it just depends where and how busy they are.

One thing to note, is your medical and police cert are only valid for a certain timeframe, so check this out.

One main piece of advice....Get your ITA Submited NOW!! It gets the ball rolling.

Hope this helps,

Scottish N

j19fmm Aug 18th 2008 7:42 am

Originally Posted by fired50 (Post 6689203)

Regards

F50

Congratulations Fired50! Now you know you're gonna get some questions,hope you don't mind.:o
1)Where are you working
2)How did you get your job
3)How are you finding teaching the New Zealand Curriculum
Good luck with PR, :thumbsup:

fired50 Aug 18th 2008 9:18 pm

Hi

Without going into too much detail - I'm working in one of the largest cities; in a college/secondary school.

I got my job via and agency (there are about 3).

The NCEA is a little tricky to begin with. Think the onus is on the teacher to tighten up his/her understanding of it and then unpack it for the students. Not an initially easy task. I do think it's forward reaching and potentially very progressive.

F50

j19fmm Aug 19th 2008 9:56 am

Originally Posted by fired50 (Post 6691901)
Hi

Without going into too much detail - I'm working in one of the largest cities; in a college/secondary school.

I got my job via and agency (there are about 3).

The NCEA is a little tricky to begin with. Think the onus is on the teacher to tighten up his/her understanding of it and then unpack it for the students. Not an initially easy task. I do think it's forward reaching and potentially very progressive.

F50

Thank you , wasn't intending to pry :o

fired50 Aug 19th 2008 8:00 pm

Nada problemo!

I've just arrived myself and am still trying to find my feet.

If I can help - I surely will!

F50