British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Going alone (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/going-alone-623399/)

Jan n Neil Aug 2nd 2009 8:34 am

Going alone

We have not yet got his visa and I think that there may be another 2-3 weeks wait. My new employer want me over, quite justifiably of course, and it seems that a flight in 3 weeks time is appropriate for what they want. Due to various and many delays, I will be 1 month late starting the job and apparently my "stand in" can't wait to stop doing it :rofl:

The employer are kindly paying for both of us to go, but its cutting it very fine for his visa, and a real possibility is looming that I shall be going out there alone in the first instance :(. I had stupid visions of kissing the tarmac at Christchurch together - well not quite but you get the picture ;) Doing it alone was not how I wanted to start, and it seems daunting.

Neil knows I feel very unhappy about this, but it may have to be done..... did any of you face this? (I know Matewx did).

Jan

kiwichicks Aug 2nd 2009 8:41 am

Re: Going alone

We did my OH had to start his job and we joined him 7 weeks later
There is many I know and I think they are members of BE done this, and I am sure they will respond
Good Luck :thumbsup:

D:)

Matewx Aug 2nd 2009 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 7805440)
(I know Matewx did).

Yep!! And looking back it was not that bad!! :D

Cheer up Jan!!

It's a mean to an end as far I see it!

And who knows, in 3 weeks time Neil's visa will be through & you guys will be booking his flight!!

My workmate moved from Uk to NZ in Aug & her hubby n kids in November...

Finally, I will add that you will be SO busy settling in & feeling the area that you won't believe how quick time flies....

kiwichicks Aug 2nd 2009 9:19 am

Finally, I will add that you will be SO busy settling in & feeling the area that you won't believe how quick time flies....[/QUOTE]

Agree my OH got a to be a good shopper, cleaner and expert local guide

D:)

Jan n Neil Aug 2nd 2009 9:21 am

I think I'll be so busy working that I won't have time to do anything important on my own, that's one of my problems... 60+ hour weeks are not unusual in my job...

But you're all right, it will fly by I am sure

BEVS Aug 2nd 2009 11:24 am

Yes.

I so relate to this

I had stupid visions of kissing the tarmac at Christchurch together ]
or similar :lol:

In reality , whilst I rolled around in the dust trying to sort out a rubbish house sale - I kid you not on that score - and all sorts of other problems , el husbandit flew away to New Zealand two months before me to start work. Heck. Even that cats flew away before me. The employer had already waited 5 months for him as it was. Husband spent two months in a bunkhouse which is not for the faint hearted and the cats spent it in various abodes, also not for the faint hearted ,believe me. Catteries here have little understanding of cats IMVHO.
Meanwhile , I crashed at a fireman friends house and lived out of my suitcase and slept on a matress on the floor .
My old Dad got the hump as one would expect and by the time I got to NZ in the middle of Winter , I was ker-nackered . So was husband and the cats were right hacked off plus the house was still not sold.

Did we celebrate once i arrived. Did we heck. I got bronchitis from the wood smoke, he got flu for the first time ever and we both thought we had gone mad. :lol:

Jan n Neil Aug 2nd 2009 1:24 pm

Right, we've examined the emails from NZIS with a fine tooth comb with respect to dates and timings, and have asked the new employer to arrange the flights in order to leave Neil enough time to physically go to London if necessary to get visa in passport. This assumes that a) the CO was telling the truth about the timescales and b) there are no further problems with his reports. There shouldn't be, they were amazingly positive....

:fingerscrossed:

j19fmm Aug 2nd 2009 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7805506)
SO busy settling in & feeling the area that you won't believe how quick time flies....

Is that a legal requirement??? :rofl:

BEVS Aug 4th 2009 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 7805926)
Right, we've examined the emails from NZIS with a fine tooth comb with respect to dates and timings, and have asked the new employer to arrange the flights in order to leave Neil enough time to physically go to London if necessary to get visa in passport. This assumes that a) the CO was telling the truth about the timescales and b) there are no further problems with his reports. There shouldn't be, they were amazingly positive....

:fingerscrossed:

Good on yer. :thumbup: Here is hoping you do get to travel together. :fingerscrossed:

BEVS Aug 4th 2009 2:43 am

Originally Posted by matewx
SO busy settling in & feeling the area that you won't believe how quick time flies....

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 7806305)
Is that a legal requirement??? :rofl:

I think our friend has a lot of energy.