getting very dis-heartend

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:36 am
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about
Angry getting very dis-heartend

Hi all.
We are desperate for some words of encouragement and hope from all you guys as we cannot seem to get any further on our quest for a new life.
Last year my OH was offered a job as a Quantity Surveyor. The house was sold, our belongings gathered together. Recession hit, our buyers pulled out and we felt if would be unfair to let the NZ employer wait anymore, so we pulled out of the whole thing at that time.
Not to be put off, and having learn't a great deal from mistakes made and tonnes of research done, we decided to attack it from another direction and apply for the EOI first, get selected and accepted OH apply for a job, get it sell the house and move
Since we last looked, they had lowered the points to 120 and so thought we would stand a better chance but have since learn't that even though my OH has had over 25 years of good Quantity Surveying experience in London and other areas with qualifications equivalent to a degree, alas because it does not say the word 'Batchelor!', which is what NZQ are looking for, we find he does not qualify for the right amount of points needed making us sit at the bottom of the pool
This seems to us that what they are looking for is someone straight out of college with all the 'now' paperwork but with no experience.
We have tried my humble qualifications and have received only 5 extra points

We have now cancelled all the medicals and are scratching our heads because we really want to be there with our 3 children, 15, 12, and 5 by the end of next year as we are trying to time my middle sons exams right.
Not sure what to do next. Employers obviously want what OH has to offer but the NZQ do not see it that way at all.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:28 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: getting very dis-heartend

Sorry to hear about your problems, but fingers crossed it isn't an impossible situation? Your OH clearly has the skills people want and are prepared to make offers for - so get down that route again, get another offer and the points issue should go away? If not have another scan through the skills shortage lists. Not all jobs demand a degree and if your OH's experience/quals HONESTLY cover a different job title, then happy days.

Your big problem last time out was the house, so why not get that sold first? This means you can rent something short term, then go 110% at getting a job offer so you can fly through your visa and have no ties left for going off to NZ? This is the route we're going down - albeit the getting visa and flogging house bits are overlapping a touch - and whilst it's going to be a bit of a pain going through all the moving just to have to do it again in a matter of weeks/months it seems to be the only way that minimises the risk of someone else making a complete Horlicks of it for us!

Best of luck and keep us posted on progress!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Celticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud ofCelticknight has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gags
Hi all.
We are desperate for some words of encouragement and hope from all you guys as we cannot seem to get any further on our quest for a new life.
Last year my OH was offered a job as a Quantity Surveyor. The house was sold, our belongings gathered together. Recession hit, our buyers pulled out and we felt if would be unfair to let the NZ employer wait anymore, so we pulled out of the whole thing at that time.
Not to be put off, and having learn't a great deal from mistakes made and tonnes of research done, we decided to attack it from another direction and apply for the EOI first, get selected and accepted OH apply for a job, get it sell the house and move
Since we last looked, they had lowered the points to 120 and so thought we would stand a better chance but have since learn't that even though my OH has had over 25 years of good Quantity Surveying experience in London and other areas with qualifications equivalent to a degree, alas because it does not say the word 'Batchelor!', which is what NZQ are looking for, we find he does not qualify for the right amount of points needed making us sit at the bottom of the pool
This seems to us that what they are looking for is someone straight out of college with all the 'now' paperwork but with no experience.
We have tried my humble qualifications and have received only 5 extra points

We have now cancelled all the medicals and are scratching our heads because we really want to be there with our 3 children, 15, 12, and 5 by the end of next year as we are trying to time my middle sons exams right.
Not sure what to do next. Employers obviously want what OH has to offer but the NZQ do not see it that way at all.
Hi,

I've managed to get ITA with just a HND (50 points) a Degree is worth 55 points. Has OH done the NZQA assessment? why I ask is since May of this year some Qualifications were RE-Valued. Mine went up from Level 5 to Level 6 so it gave the chance to gain the extra points in the Shortage Catergory.

Are you aware that these modern Qualifications have been Watered down? Since completing HND in 1993, If I was to do the same thing again I would have to complete at a Degree Level. A Degree in the 90's would be equivalent to a Masters now. That is how it was explained to me. So ur OH Degree, although it's not Bachelor would be regarded as a Higher Achievement these days.

If you are able to claim even those extra 5points for yourself, it all adds up. Was not able to claim for my OH as not on list. If we waited another 2 years, then I loose points again as I'd be 45, loose 5 points.

Sounding like Dumbledoor off Harry Potter, awarding House Points

But if your OH is still able to get a job offer, then you go towards the end of the queue faster than us.

On a Lighter Note...........
Come Over to the Dark Side Submit the Application Paper Work and join all of us who are down to the Knuckles and at wits end playing the waiting Game

Good Luck Dear Lady..................

Ian.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:26 pm

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Many thanks to you both. We won't give up. Makes me want it even more! Where theres a will, theres a way!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Does your OH not make up the points "lost" from not having a degree, with the points gained from substantial work experience in his field of expertise.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:37 pm

Unfortunately he can't claim any points for work experience or for a profession in the 'absolute skills shortage' because he does not hold a degree in what they want him to hold a degree in ie 'Bachelors in construction and quantity surveying' even though he has been a QS in the UK for 25 years and holds professional qualifications. Chicken and egg situation!
OH very down about it, but onward and upward
Many thanks to you all for your replies though
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Work experience in skilled employment
2 years 10
4 years 15
6 years 20
8 years 25
10 years 30

30 points right there waiting to be taken!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631799
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:58 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Work experience in skilled employment
2 years 10
4 years 15
6 years 20
8 years 25
10 years 30

30 points right there waiting to be taken!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631799
so soz to hear your not so good news guys. You will figure out something I am sure, keep fighting and show them you are not going down without a very good fight :curse:
All the best
Tina.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately he can't claim any points for work experience or for a profession in the 'absolute skills shortage' because he does not hold a degree in what they want him to hold a degree in ie 'Bachelors in construction and quantity surveying' even though he has been a QS in the UK for 25 years and holds professional qualifications. Chicken and egg situation!
Hello gags
We had exactly the same problem whenwe submitted.

OH has 10 years experience in IT running his own company and had an 'E-Commerce' degree that he spent 2 years studying for.
He had the qualification certified by NZQA and came back at a level 8 - all good - you would think.
But because the qualification didnt have the words IT in the title of the qualification they wouldnt allow it for points and therefore wouldnt allow the points for his work experience!!
This is despite reading and re-reading the paperwork for the IMZ that states 'Experience OR Qualifications' in an area of need 'whatever!!'

I understand your plight and you really do feel that they are moving the goal posts to suit themselves.

In the end I sent him to NZ on his own for 2 weeks and told him not to come home without a job and it worked hay ho

We fly the 5th Jan - blue stickers in passports within 3 months

Hope this helps you to realise that this isnt the end - merely something to be overcome

Good luck x
Psycho
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy, I could really do with some pointers from your husband with regards to IT recruitment. I will be doing exactly the same soon.

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
Hello gags
We had exactly the same problem whenwe submitted.

OH has 10 years experience in IT running his own company and had an 'E-Commerce' degree that he spent 2 years studying for.
He had the qualification certified by NZQA and came back at a level 8 - all good - you would think.
But because the qualification didnt have the words IT in the title of the qualification they wouldnt allow it for points and therefore wouldnt allow the points for his work experience!!
This is despite reading and re-reading the paperwork for the IMZ that states 'Experience OR Qualifications' in an area of need 'whatever!!'

I understand your plight and you really do feel that they are moving the goal posts to suit themselves.

In the end I sent him to NZ on his own for 2 weeks and told him not to come home without a job and it worked hay ho

We fly the 5th Jan - blue stickers in passports within 3 months

Hope this helps you to realise that this isnt the end - merely something to be overcome

Good luck x
Psycho
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:30 am

Many thanks to you all for your kind words and it helps knowing that we are not alone in this situation. Am made up that psycho is flying out in January. Really wishing you all the best Many thanks also for the points link from LukeandJo.
Would also really like to hear from other Quantity Surveyors who may be in the same position.
We are going to go down the job offer route now, so heres hoping XX
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks to you all for your kind words and it helps knowing that we are not alone in this situation. Am made up that psycho is flying out in January. Really wishing you all the best Many thanks also for the points link from LukeandJo.
Would also really like to hear from other Quantity Surveyors who may be in the same position.
We are going to go down the job offer route now, so heres hoping XX
Thanks gags for the good wishes - at least i think thats what they were and its not that you will be glad to be rid of me - i can still post from 'the other side' you know

Luke and Jo - i will speak with the OH later on and see what info i can gleam from him. If it will be better that he contact you with numbers or contact names i will get him to pm you if thats ok.
What area are you looking for - or is it job dependant? Most of the contacts he made are in the Auckland area.

All the best
Psycho x
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

PM is more than OK.

IT - I know its generic, but I would be suitable for a range of positions.
Auckland central \ surrounding area.

Not job dependant, but if something could be arranged before EOI then it's only going to stand me in good stead.

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So , what about a full NZQA assessment ?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:36 am

Hi Bevs,

Yes that will be the next step although I don't hold much hope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.