British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Getting the timing right (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/getting-timing-right-545175/)

Rock Ape Jun 25th 2008 5:02 pm

Getting the timing right

Well, I had an email from NZIS yesterday to say that our EOI has been approved and the ITA should be on its way to us within the next 1-2 weeks.

In preparation, I am starting to go through all the stuff needed for NZQA, sent off UK and French police checks, medical checks being booked in Bordeaux etc etc.

My question is this. If looked at in terms of a rollercoaster, I am assuming that we are somewhere just shy of the summit and about to topple over the edge. We have sold our house (signed today), am in the process of winding up my business etc but there are things that have to be done prior to the final approval of our ITA. These include sending off deposits for the quarantine of our animals in NZ (a substantial cost) but I fail to see how we can wait until the approval comes through as it'll be too late.

At some point we have to proceed (like the rollacoaster) and assume that the application will be accepted otherwise the schedule falls flat. What do you all think?

teebrown Jun 26th 2008 6:57 am

Re: Getting the timing right

I don't really know the answer to this one, but if it were me, i would carry on doing everything and tying up loose ends etc, and as soon as you get your medicals done and police certs ready as soon as that ITA drops on your doorstep you will be ready to return it. I supose it all depends on how long it's going to take you to tie up the house etc. I mean I am sure you can fly out there and get your visa stickers over there, I am sure other people have done this - Have you booked flights yet?

I think you have to think about shipping your stuff over as well, I know the MAF custom rules have changed (not sure what too), but the rules before were if you didn't have your visa then you could get taxed on your goods, so if that still stands you would have to wait to ship your furniture over.

Some people, as I have said, have just jumped on the plane and gone for it - this moving business is very emotional and stressful.

All the best

Rock Ape Jun 26th 2008 7:34 am

Originally Posted by teebrown (Post 6504623)
I don't really know the answer to this one, but if it were me, i would carry on doing everything and tying up loose ends etc, and as soon as you get your medicals done and police certs ready as soon as that ITA drops on your doorstep you will be ready to return it. I supose it all depends on how long it's going to take you to tie up the house etc. I mean I am sure you can fly out there and get your visa stickers over there, I am sure other people have done this - Have you booked flights yet?

I think you have to think about shipping your stuff over as well, I know the MAF custom rules have changed (not sure what too), but the rules before were if you didn't have your visa then you could get taxed on your goods, so if that still stands you would have to wait to ship your furniture over.

Some people, as I have said, have just jumped on the plane and gone for it - this moving business is very emotional and stressful.

All the best

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I suppose the main concern is that for some reason the ITA is rejected and the whole thing falls apart leaving us high and dry but I don't see any alternative. The house sold without even going on the market which was a surprise but also a huge relief. I guess the only way is forward now!

By the way, thanks for the heads-up on the MAF tax thing. Any idea where I can get a definitive answer on that?

Rock Ape Jun 26th 2008 7:39 am

Oh, by the way. You mention that we could perhaps go prior to receiving our visas and get them stamped in NZ when we get there. Presumably I would not be able to take up my new job until these have been granted though or could I start anyway?

teebrown Jun 26th 2008 8:59 am

Hi, have a look at this thread regarding MAF http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542644

As you say, the way is forward now, ride the waves of life!

You are lucky to sell you house, in the UK everything is at a standstill.

Tee

teebrown Jun 26th 2008 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Rock Ape (Post 6504710)
Oh, by the way. You mention that we could perhaps go prior to receiving our visas and get them stamped in NZ when we get there. Presumably I would not be able to take up my new job until these have been granted though or could I start anyway?

I don't think you can start work until you have the correct vias's.

Persephone Jun 26th 2008 1:24 pm

Hi

You wouldn't be able to work unless you had the visas. You can get them in NZ if necessary, I asked about it as I'll be over there soon and if they had given me WTR then I would have had to get the visas in NZ or the three months would be up by the time I got back. NZIS said it wouldn't be a problem picking them up over there so you have that option if necessary.
Good luck with everything:thumbup:

Sue