British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   gettin residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/gettin-residency-794256/)

Firestorm333 Apr 17th 2013 6:27 am

gettin residency

Not been on for a while ben settling into new job and generally findin my feet , loveing it here nxt stage get family here , just a quickie about applying for pr , have a permenant job and employers want me to stay should I just submit eoi , even though I, m not on skills shortage or should I seek advice off solicitor , I, ve heard mention of leene someone or other .n any pointers .... jan , neil ect ..: thanks

Persephone Apr 17th 2013 3:53 pm

Re: gettin residency

If you have enough points and your job is classed as skilled then you can apply for residency. Being on the long term skills shortage list gives you bonus points but is not essential if you otherwise have enough.

You need over 100pts to submit an EOI and generally those with a job offer/job will be selected.

You shouldn't need a solicitor [did you mean immigration lawyer or advisor?]. If you have something difficult in your history then it may be worth considering but it all depends really. Most of us have done it ourselves, it is not difficult and we can answer most questions:fingerscrossed:
Besides they are very very expensive!:eek:

BEVS Apr 17th 2013 10:57 pm

From memory you are a Heavy Plant Operator. As far as I know that occupation does not appear on the NZIS skilled occupation list, so you will not be able to apply under the skilled migrant category. (as in EOI etc)

If your employer is an NZIS accredited employer and your salary is $55K pa then you can apply for a work to residence visa. After 2 years you would then be able to apply for residency.

Firestorm333 Apr 18th 2013 7:52 am

Have been in discussion with ny employers and they will amend my contract of employment as I seem to have inherited the role of forman , but would just like to pose the question of any advice I can obtain as to witch way would be bestto approach my particular situation and would be willing to engage the services of a local solicitor . Really do want to stay here as II say work andlifestyle really suit ... pointers please , can, t seem to remeber name of solicitor people have recommended in the past ...... thanks in advance...:frown:

BEVS Apr 18th 2013 10:13 am

If you engage Lane Neave then it will cost more than several buckets of bitumenbut considering that your occupation is not seen as skilled and you would have to argue that you are of management level ( whereas you are a foreman? ) then may be best to gain a heavy hand on your side.

It can be done. I've known it before for this occupation - just the once. The employer went all out to help mind you and enhanced the contract from memory.

Jan n Neil Apr 20th 2013 7:32 pm

Hi, nice (and pretty amazing!) to bump into you yesterday!

I am not an immigration expert and it seems WTR is the way forward for you. Lane Neave are superb - we needed them and were happy to recommend them on here - but in the early days I did wonder what we were paying for as we did all the paperwork ourselves. However, when it went (a lot) pear shaped they were wonderful, and knew our history of course.....

NZIS has strict rules and mostly they can't be got around. If, as someone else said, your health checks etc are all perfectly normal then you don't need a solicitor. But it might be some support for you to get you going, as your other half is not yet here?

Get yourself out here for a beer and meet the woof woofs sometime

Cheers
Jan