British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Geordie with Kiwi partner .. visa ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/geordie-kiwi-partner-visa-872307/)

kevhuntley Feb 12th 2016 12:45 am

Geordie with Kiwi partner .. visa ?

Hi everyone , our situation is quite complicated so i ask please dont judge.
I myself was living in Australia defacto on my ex wifes visa for almost the last 3yrs. On a trial seperation i met and fell for my current partner who is a new zealand citizen living in Australia. I left my wife and moved in with my partner in mid novemeber 2015. I was told that my visa had been cancelled and after a long debate I travelled out to indonesia (last 3 weeks) with my partner flying out every weekend so we could spend time with each other. We naively already had flights oz-nz booked to attend a friends wedding and to meet her family and friends and planned to travel back to oz. The plan has changed now obviously and we are flying ro nz together in a couple of weeks to do exactly as we planned but now we are looking into options so that we can stay together there , failing that we will move to the UK. I doubt anyone has been in this exact situation vur im hoping people can offer advice on the few spouse / partner visa options. We are already booked into see a migration agent when we arrive and hopefully they will shine a light on our options .. i have lived in auckland previously for a year and am really hoping we can make a shot of it together. Cheers for any help :)

Snap Shot Feb 12th 2016 5:05 am

Re: Geordie with Kiwi partner .. visa ?

Originally Posted by kevhuntley (Post 11865111)
Hi everyone , our situation is quite complicated so i ask please dont judge.
I myself was living in Australia defacto on my ex wifes visa for almost the last 3yrs. On a trial seperation i met and fell for my current partner who is a new zealand citizen living in Australia. I left my wife and moved in with my partner in mid novemeber 2015. I was told that my visa had been cancelled and after a long debate I travelled out to indonesia (last 3 weeks) with my partner flying out every weekend so we could spend time with each other. We naively already had flights oz-nz booked to attend a friends wedding and to meet her family and friends and planned to travel back to oz. The plan has changed now obviously and we are flying ro nz together in a couple of weeks to do exactly as we planned but now we are looking into options so that we can stay together there , failing that we will move to the UK. I doubt anyone has been in this exact situation vur im hoping people can offer advice on the few spouse / partner visa options. We are already booked into see a migration agent when we arrive and hopefully they will shine a light on our options .. i have lived in auckland previously for a year and am really hoping we can make a shot of it together. Cheers for any help :)

Hello. Welcome to BE.

First question: What visa did your now ex-wife have ? You said you were, 'living defacto on your ex-wife's visa.' The defacto visa for you has now been cancelled, if I understood your post properly, yes ?

So, does that count for anything with regard to residence/citizenship of Australia ? I guess that's a question for the immigration agent when you meet them. If you went to Australia now, would you just get a standard tourist visa and have no real rights to live there on that visa ?

Could you apply for a partnership category visa as you are now, if I am understanding correctly, in a defacto relationship with a kiwi ?

You may face problems as you will have to prove to NZ immigration that your relationship is genuine and stable, i.e. living together as a recognised couple for the required minimum amount of time.

I'm married to a New Zealander. I have a family category visa which is how I got Permanent Residency from day one of arriving in NZ back in 2011. We applied for my Family Category visa after a few years of getting married and living together in Britain. We still had to meet the criteria expected by NZ Immigration.

Sorry to say this, but, in your excitement of your new relationship and leaving Australia and, 'all that' behind you, you are unwittingly trying to rush the process.

Does your kiwi partner even fancy living in Britain ? Why does she want to leave Australia ?

kevhuntley Feb 12th 2016 5:18 am

We obtained a 457 temp work visa through her ocupation as it was easier than my own. And no I didn't breach any conditions of the visa , but it was revoked as we weren't together any more and i was with someone else. We probably would have stayed but the way in which my visa was cancelles etc didnt leave me with any time to do something independently.
I could fly home and apply for the 30-35 yo work visa (you have to be in UK to do so) but were hoping that theres another option as its a lot of money and time in which we want to spend together.

kevhuntley Feb 12th 2016 5:20 am

We will go to the UK if all else fails but not really an exciting prospect, ive been away since 2010 kind of call this end of the world home now you know .. i lived in nz for a year in 2012 and have family in auckland , just hope we can find a way

Snap Shot Feb 12th 2016 5:50 am

Originally Posted by kevhuntley (Post 11865223)
We will go to the UK if all else fails but not really an exciting prospect, ive been away since 2010 kind of call this end of the world home now you know .. i lived in nz for a year in 2012 and have family in auckland , just hope we can find a way

Good luck, hope things work out for you both. What visa did you have when you lived and worked in NZ ?

So, when you travel to NZ to attend the wedding you have been invited to, you will get a tourist visa on arrival in NZ, yes ? How long is this valid for ? Three months or six months ?

You won't be able to work in NZ on an NZ tourist visa. How do you intend to support yourself/yourselves ? This visit is mostly a holiday with no firm plans for where you will live, yes ? I'm guessing that your partner does not have work in NZ just now either ?

So, at the end of the NZ holiday, she might have to financially support both of you as she has the right to live and work in NZ as she's an NZ citizen. (Finding a job, though, could be a whole other story as I have learned from bitter experience. However, I digress.)

If you both go to Britain, you will be able to work. What visa will she be entitled to so you don't end up with the reverse situation of supporting both of you while she climbs the walls with boredom. Is it you or her that will have a job offer paying GDP18,600 minimum (or something like that, and/or have sixty grand GDP in a bank in Britain ?)

kevhuntley Feb 12th 2016 5:59 am

Thanks , where there's a will there's a way

MrsFychan Feb 12th 2016 7:41 am

as snap shot has already said to come over on a partnership visa via you now g/f you will have to prove you have lived together for no less than 12mths. so can't see that being an option atm.

do you have any skills that NZ require?

to attend your friends wedding you will need to prove an outward flight for you or they will not let you board the plane.

An immigration advisor will not be able to help this situation, you have to adhere to the rules set out by Immigration and all that is freely available on their website. save some money and spend some time researching on the net.

As for living in UK you will need to check the rules out on their immigration site, with the influx of European immigrants other nationalities are taking the brunt of immigration laws

kevhuntley Feb 12th 2016 7:46 am

I am a time served plasterer and 2 years just spent scaffolding in WA mining industry. Well we have already discovered there is a different class visa which you do not have to have been together 12 months, if you can show the usual evidence and prove it's genuine etc which we wont have a problem with. We have plenty of savings and neither oz or nz have ever asked for proof of funds or outward flight.

MrsFychan Feb 12th 2016 7:50 am

Originally Posted by kevhuntley (Post 11865271)
neither oz or nz have ever asked for proof of funds or outward flight.

but at that time you had a valid visa to remain I assume, if you have a visitors visa you may find they will ask, if they don't then they are not doing their jobs properly.

kevhuntley Feb 12th 2016 8:00 am

If they ask then i show them enough savings to more than book a flight anywhere after holidaying for 3 month
. Not really the Avenue i was hoping to get advice upon tho

MrsFychan Feb 12th 2016 8:05 am

I am not sure what the 30-35 work visa you are talking about?

as a plasterer you could apply under your own steam as long as you met the necessary requirements.
as a scaffolder you could get a temp work visa that will give you time to met the 12mths requirements of living with you partner.

kevhuntley Feb 12th 2016 8:35 am

There is a visa for 30 - 35 yo from the uk , but like i say 1 company has the monopoly on applying and you havento be in the UK .. bit of a pain to fly all the way back to apply then fly back , but it is an option.
The problem i face (which was the reason me and my ex wife went through her profession) is i did an informal apprenticeship with my old man and proving i was given X amount of hours on the job official training was rather difficult and i lack the experience with aand cement. Although i did work for aucklands largest exterior company for 12 months. Which visa do you think id qualify for scaffolding .. i see its on the shortage list (all the kiwis are raking it in up north i already know) i am advanced ticketed maybe a bit shy on experience.

Snap Shot Feb 12th 2016 6:54 pm

Why did you leave Auckland after a year ? Were you with your wife when you lived in Auckland ? If so, what did she do for work ? If not, what were the circumstances of you and your now ex-wife going to Australia to live and work ?

A lot of people, including New Zealanders, as evidenced by your partner, get bored of NZ and/or Auckland and head for the, 'bright lights, big cities' that Australia has. I'm just curious why you would want to return to a city you already left once.

OK, it's all to do with residence and visa requirements with regard to your new relationship. Which, if you don't mind me saying, has yet to come out of it's rebound stage.

Take care, good luck.

kevhuntley Feb 12th 2016 7:52 pm

Yes me and my ex went to aucks together, myself from oz and her the uk. We both didnt really like auckland and from all the kiwis ive met bar aucklanders not a lot do : /
Ive actually been speaking to a few friends in chch today and they say even people coming in on tourist visas if they can find a job offer (scaffolding desperately short) you can take the job offer to immigration and are given 2 year work visa. . Got a few company names that are known to need lads.might look that way with me and my gf but were solid i can garentee :)

PB65 Feb 12th 2016 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by kevhuntley (Post 11865271)
I am a time served plasterer and 2 years just spent scaffolding in WA mining industry. Well we have already discovered there is a different class visa which you do not have to have been together 12 months, if you can show the usual evidence and prove it's genuine etc which we wont have a problem with. We have plenty of savings and neither oz or nz have ever asked for proof of funds or outward flight.

Visa-waiver countries - New Zealand Immigration Service
Proof of funds And outbound flight Whether they ask or not could be debated but immigration are entitled to see an itinerary showing you will leave at the end of a 6 month tourist visa (uk) so cannot assume they will not ask. Without might also result in a shorter time period visa if they decided not a genuine visitor due to lack of return ticket. All speculation just depends how many bases you want to cover to keep hassle to a minimum if immigration do what they are supposed to.