British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   General or Limited Medical for a partner of a NZ Citizen? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/general-limited-medical-partner-nz-citizen-893566/)

GM3489 Mar 7th 2017 2:47 pm

General or Limited Medical for a partner of a NZ Citizen?

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have searched a few forums regarding this but I'm still a bit confused as to which medical my wife needs to get.

I tried to use the 'Online query' form on the INZ website but it doesn't seem to work, it keeps going to a 'Page 404 not found' etc, and the TT Visa services in London just sent me a pdf of a medical form, which didn't really answer my question to them.

I'm a NZ citizen by birth and my wife is from the UK. We have been together nearly 10 years and we are looking to move to NZ next year, (from the UK). We have begun looking into the visa process for her and the visa itself seems pretty self explanatory but it is the medical that I can't seem to get a clear answer on.

Basically the 'Limited medical says -

You must use this certificate if you are the partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident and you meet the requirements of the Partnership Category, which includes having lived together with your partner for 12 months or more in a partnership which is genuine and stable

So to me that seems the correct medical that she needs, but the next paragraph says -

You must not use this certificate if you are applying for a
visa as the partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident and you were not included in, or were withdrawn from the earlier residence application made by
your partner or parent. If this situation applies to you, you must use the General Medical Certificate (INZ 1007)

This is the part that is confusing me? What does, 'and you were not included in, or were withdrawn from the earlier residence application made by your partner'mean? What earlier residence application are they on about? Why would I have done an earlier residence application and then taken her off or not included her when it's her that needs it and why would I be applying for residence as I'm already a NZ Citizen?

It may be just me but I'm finding that part confusing and have been trying to find an answer but to no avail.

I'm nearly tempted to pay the extra and just get the full General Medical for her because surely you can't go wrong with that one as it should cover it all!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

MrsFychan Mar 7th 2017 6:33 pm

Re: General or Limited Medical for a partner of a NZ Citizen?

I also would go with the full medical but the best bet for you would be to ring NZ Immigration and ask them direct. that way you will know for sure. Also get the persons name you spoke to and note the date you called. just in case

BEVS Mar 7th 2017 7:56 pm

You must use this certificate if you are the partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident and you meet the requirements of the Partnership Category, which includes having lived together with your partner for 12 months or more in a partnership which is genuine and stable
This is applicable to your wife.

You must not use this certificate if you are applying for a
visa as the partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident
and you were not included in, or were withdrawn from the earlier residence application made by your partner or parent.
If this situation applies to you, you must use the General Medical Certificate (INZ 1007)

It does not apply to you or your wife. You are applying for the very first time.

wez130 Mar 8th 2017 1:39 pm

I had a full medical done for my visa which is the same as the one you're applying for, my wife is a Kiwi.

thebrits Mar 15th 2017 12:30 pm

Having done this in 2015, it's definitely the Limited that your wife needs.

I also found that the approved panel physician's office knew everything about this process and were very helpful - talk to them if you have concerns.