Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Gasfitter looking to move to NZ - any advice please

Gasfitter looking to move to NZ - any advice please

Old Mar 2nd 2013, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Jon1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gasfitter looking to move to NZ - any advice please

Hi all i am new to this forum and just after advice on the possibility of emigrating to nz as have visited a few times and really enjoyed the lifestyle. So about me, i am 41 and a qualified gas engineer in the uk with 8 years experience and it does seem rather difficult to gain a visa and was wondering weather to use an immigration advisor here in the uk and if anyone had any experience of them
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Firestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Christchurch rebuild

Don't there a waste of money ,everthing you need to know is on NZI web site or simply post ur queries on here someone will have the answers...
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply so what would be the best route of finding a job in nz as i was thinking of the christchurch rebuild as good starting point but my trade is not on the skills shortage list and there are companies in the uk advertising that they can get me a job (after paying them) as a visa does seem to rely on a job offer
Many thanks in advance
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Firestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura about

Register on NZ job web sites , a lot of agencies will come up but don<t let that put u off they don't work the same as they do in uk.and u never no what might pop up / send cv in NZ format to employer's in CHCH . All rebuild employers wishing to employ people from overseas have to now go thro the Canterbury Hub . I have just received all my forms back from NZ employer it takes time just be patient something will turn up ....... Look up Canterbury hub on interweb should get u some info ................
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:37 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon1000 View Post
Hi all i am new to this forum and just after advice on the possibility of emigrating to nz as have visited a few times and really enjoyed the lifestyle. So about me, i am 41 and a qualified gas engineer in the uk with 8 years experience and it does seem rather difficult to gain a visa and was wondering weather to use an immigration advisor here in the uk and if anyone had any experience of them
They are very expensive for what they do. Start by having a good read of the NZIS website and ask specific questions on here. Generally applying for a visa or residency is not difficult if you apply yourself, better to keep the cash to spend on the move! Though if you prefer to get an opinion from an advisor then make sure they are licensed. NZIS do not give preference to applications submitted using an advisor.
Are you planning on residency or a temporary stay?
Originally Posted by Jon1000 View Post
Thanks for the reply so what would be the best route of finding a job in nz as i was thinking of the christchurch rebuild as good starting point but my trade is not on the skills shortage list and there are companies in the uk advertising that they can get me a job (after paying them) as a visa does seem to rely on a job offer
Many thanks in advance
Anyone used these companies? I would be suspicious of a company that I had to pay to find me a job. Do they organise a visa as well? It's all well and good finding a job but if it doesn't fit into a visa category then problems will occur. In my line of work the employer pays the agency and not the employee
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:54 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gasfitter looking to move to NZ - any advice please

Hi there and welcome to this wee NZ forum.

My husband is a time served plumber and gasfitter also. We moved here over 8 years ago now.

Some basics to get you started on this quest.

For a work visa you need a job offer first.

You also should have a read of the PGDB website. ref registration requirements for overseas gasfitters/plumbers. Please click the link.

This is the link to the XChurch Hub website
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

My mistake i thought it Canterbury hub .....I stand corrected ....
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:50 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Firestorm333 View Post
My mistake i thought it Canterbury hub .....I stand corrected ....
Probably is. I couldn't be arsed to write it correctly. Where I come from Christchurch is Xch and that's it.

I think it would be Canterbury Hub..... Is there an echo?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi have now registered on canterbury oppertunities and new kiwis websites so have to keep trying and see if i hear anything but have any of you guys heard of a company that is meant to be advertising to companies in nz called skilled british workers.
Thanks
Jon
Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

No.

I googled. I see an endorsement from a nurse on there. Nurses don'ty need to ldo that. They just need to sign up with a health professional agency that deals direct with DHB's or contact DNB's direct.

I see it's part of Emigration Group - a visa agency.

TBH I'm not sure what to suggest for the best here. When it comes to trades employers do seem to like you to have boots on NZ ground first. We know gasfitters are not in shortage here in NZ but that doesn't mean there isn't a job out there maybe. I do think you need to get your quals pre-assessed by the PGDB . At least you can then tell NZ employers you will meet the NZ standard.

Am wondering if there is an accredited employer you could approach. An accredited employer is one that is able to employ an overseas person regardless of whether the occupation is on a shortage list or not. They don't have to prove there is no NZ citizen /resident that could do that work or be trained to do that work.

I will just say that an Immy advisor can't help you get a job. For you , the job offer is the key really. That and the PGDB pre-assessment.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 5th 2013 at 7:55 pm.