British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Funny Birth Certificates..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/funny-birth-certificates-498478/)

hosebergine Dec 7th 2007 11:31 am

Funny Birth Certificates.....

Hello all, first post here so please be gentle :-)

I was born in Germany and had my British birth certificate sorted out a couple of years later. But it is from the British Consulate in Hamburg and looks very pretty but isn't like all the UK ones. I need a full certificate for our application but I've no idea how to get one. Anyone got any ideas?

:unsure:

newzealandplease Dec 7th 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Funny Birth Certificates.....

can't help with your question, I'm sure others can

But Welcome:thumbsup:

cally49 Dec 7th 2007 5:35 pm

When had to get mine a few years back (I was born in the UK) I wrote to the office where my birth was registered in my case Lincoln UK and recieved a reply saying if i provided all details & CC i could get a new full one posted out to me in NZ.

Maybe if you google the register of births deaths and marriages where yours was registered you may be able to email them and find out how to do it. Hope this helps, good luck. Cally

P2L Dec 7th 2007 6:32 pm

Try your local registrat for advise first; they may be able to access it for you :confused:

BEVS Dec 7th 2007 11:17 pm

The Family Record Centre in London holds the indexes for Births, Marriages and Deaths.

It also holds information regarding consular records.

In fact, it holds all sorts of interesting stuff. I love the place & wish I could still spend a day there.

As you know all the details of where , when, who :p , then perhaps simply send in an application for your birth certificate to the overseas section in Southport.. You'll see the pdf application form when you open the link.
Copy your consular certificate to send with it.

That should hopefully do the trick.

hosebergine Dec 13th 2007 12:49 pm

Thanks to all who replied - I like this forum :D

JAJ Dec 16th 2007 5:52 am

Originally Posted by hosebergine (Post 5643040)
Hello all, first post here so please be gentle :-)

I was born in Germany and had my British birth certificate sorted out a couple of years later. But it is from the British Consulate in Hamburg and looks very pretty but isn't like all the UK ones. I need a full certificate for our application but I've no idea how to get one. Anyone got any ideas?

The GRO carries details of all consular birth certificates.
http://www.gro.gov.uk

If your certificate has parents names it is likely a full birth certificate. Do you have a German birth certificate too?

Was your father serving in the British military?

ned Dec 19th 2007 8:24 am

Talking about funny birth certificates, mine says I'll be 46 in a week :confused:

hosebergine Dec 19th 2007 9:31 am

JAJ - thanks for the heads-up on what is a full certificate. It does have dad's details on it - he wasn't in the military, mum was studying out there for six months and came home with me. Bit of a shock all round I gather ;) I think I'd better call GRO to see if I have the full one.

Ned - tee hee! You see mine is dated by the consular three year's after I was born! Alas the actual date of birth was right though :(

JAJ Dec 28th 2007 2:04 am

Originally Posted by hosebergine (Post 5684261)
JAJ - thanks for the heads-up on what is a full certificate. It does have dad's details on it - he wasn't in the military, mum was studying out there for six months and came home with me. Bit of a shock all round I gather ;) I think I'd better call GRO to see if I have the full one.

If it shows both parents names then it should be the full one.

Based on what you say, you're a British citizen "by descent" - is your spouse/partner U.K. born or naturalised, and if not, do you plan to have any children in New Zealand?

One other thing you should be aware of (probably not relevant if NZ bound) is that you're eligible to apply for the U.S. green card lottery each year because you're born in Germany which is an eligible territory.

welshwales Jan 1st 2008 7:38 pm

you think you got problems. I was born and registered in hong kong which is no longer british:eek::eek:I have one birth cert all in chinese even tho i am british as were my parents.Explain that to NZIS:confused::confused:

JAJ Jan 2nd 2008 4:08 am

Originally Posted by welshwales (Post 5726709)
you think you got problems. I was born and registered in hong kong which is no longer british:eek::eek:I have one birth cert all in chinese even tho i am british as were my parents.Explain that to NZIS:confused::confused:

It's dead easy to explain - just get it translated.

But I would have thought that Hong Kong birth documentation is still available in English.

Don't you have your original birth certificate?

happynz Jan 2nd 2008 6:11 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 5727957)
It's dead easy to explain - just get it translated.

I concur. Both my wife's and daughter's birth certificates are in Thai and certified translations of the pertinent bits were satisfactory for NZIS.